+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T RIP Bob Willis

O/T RIP Bob Willis

England cricket icon Bob Willis dies aged 70
    Last edited by CAMiller; 04-12-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added RIP

RIP Bob. Never really rated him as a fast bowler in the days when we had great opposition from the West Indies/Australia 'quickies' but his stunning performance in the Botham-Headingly test is often overlooked.

The guy would run through a brick wall for people he believed in and did so.

That headingley performance was brilliant. Botham got the credit but even he openly says that the match was won by Bob Willis.

Only 70 which is no age today

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    RIP Bob. Never really rated him as a fast bowler in the days when we had great opposition from the West Indies/Australia 'quickies' but his stunning performance in the Botham-Headingly test is often overlooked.
    Saw him finish off the Aussies at Headingley in 1981 - amazing performance.... so was the interview with Peter West afterwards!

325 wickets in 90 tests, very roughly 4 per game. So not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    325 wickets in 90 tests, very roughly 4 per game. So not too shabby.
    Yes I saw that and the 4th highest English wicket taker. For some reason I never realised the impact and longevity he had with England at the time they were facing the Lillee/Thompson and Roberts/Holding/Garner teams.

Yes I saw that and the 4th highest English wicket taker. For some reason I never realised the impact and longevity he had with England at the time they were facing the Lillee/Thompson and Roberts/Holding/Garner teams.
    He tended to be in and out of the team a bit due to injury problems