+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: NUFC vs Sheffield Utd match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Its effective but I bet if it was any other team playing that way instead of us the majority of us would turn it off.
    Absolutely. Quite a few teams are playing this way though.

The way I see it, these tactics are a poor man's Rafa Benitez.

Once our luck runs out we will be found out with the little amounts of possession and chances we have. If i had been a Sheff Utd fan i would feel robbed.
    We must be the worst team to watch from a neutral point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek57 View Post
    Once our luck runs out we will be found out with the little amounts of possession and chances we have. If i had been a Sheff Utd fan i would feel robbed.
    We must be the worst team to watch from a neutral point of view.
    Sheffield had there chances and sum but thanks to Dub and solid defense there were denied. Nothing robbed about that, just out smarted them defensively . Not attractive but effective. The "Special One" was a master at that. At least the forwards have started to move slowly in the right direction. Lets hope we have a long run of luck .

Sheffield Manager not gracious in defeat.

I'm over the moon we won 2-0 but not sure how we managed it.
    That's the worst performance I've seen us play this season.

The first half was cringeworthy apart from the goal.
    The second half was slightly better but definitely not a game to take many positives from, apart from the obvious 3 points.

The defence did play well and I agree Clark was the man of the match.
    It looked like we were a bit intimidated with their physicality and definitely struggled with their set pieces and balls into the box, even though we dealt with them, because, at times, it was more a case of carrying luck than decent defending.

The good thing was the defensive organisation.
    The bad thing was our inability to actually play some decent football.

However, I'm happy for the win and 3 points and now look forward to our next game against Southampton on Sunday, with more hope for a good result and performance.

I'd hate to have to watch that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Curian View Post
    Sheffield Manager not gracious in defeat.
    Listen to the interviews of the two managers, very telling.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

The second half was slightly better but definitely not a game to take many positives from, apart from the obvious 3 points.

It looked like we were a bit intimidated with their physicality and definitely struggled with their set pieces and balls into the box, even though we dealt with them, because, at times, it was more a case of carrying luck than decent defending.

However, I'm happy for the win and 3 points and now look forward to our next game against Southampton on Sunday, with more hope for a good result and performance.

Spot on. I'm actually quite optimistic about Sunday's game although really hope we're not as poor to watch as we were this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

Agree with all your comments we carried a huge slice of luck and it was absolutely dire to watch

We look a better defensive side with Manquillo in the team as Yedlin is terrible. My only change to that side would be Schar in for Hayden.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Agree with all your comments we carried a huge slice of luck and it was absolutely dire to watch

We look a better defensive side with Manquillo in the team as Yedlin is terrible. My only change to that side would be Schar in for Hayden.
    To be honest I think we have a case of horse for courses with this squad.
    You see, although Manquillo is a better outlet end product wise and can be fairly decent at times in defensive positions, he can struggle against much more pacier players and this is where Yedlin comes into his own in nullifying that threat.
    The problem with Yedlin is when he forages forward and creates no end product and is then left wanting.

Schar offers us a mix of defensive and midfield to attacking ideals. A basic all rounder in a way. Only injury keeps him out but obviously when fit he has to wait until change is necessary, otherwise it can quite quickly upset the apple cart.

I certainly wouldn't out Schar in for Hayden. We have enough cover in that department and I think you'd lose Schar's overall game doing that.

I remember some people arguing for having Coloccini in centre mid.

We've got the Longstaff's and Ki Sung-Yueng as cover and I would only put Schar in there if we were literally bare bones.
    That's just me mind. What Bruce decides may alter any and all of it....but, we'll see how it all pans out over the season.

Like I said earlier .. We have the knack/luck of teams putting in gash performances against us . The Spuds game was described as the worst performance under Poch. The Manure performance was hailed the worst ever Man U performance, Man city were awful , now Sheff Utd .
    Packing 10 players in the box and not playing any kind of football is effective .. Until the luck runs out .. and it will.
    Ncle v Arsenal 38% possession
    Norwich Away 36%
    Watford home 48%
    Spuds 19%
    Lipool 24%
    Brighton 28%
    Lster 31%
    Manure 31%
    Bmouth 33%
    Chelsea 28%
    Wolves 43%
    Whu 30%
    Villa 38%
    Man city 23%
    Sheffield Utd 27%

With stats like these when the luck runs out we are totally f<>ked.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)