+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Flu jab

Bit late isn't it?

Supposed to be done by the beginning of November.

Mind you, there's some evidence you need two now anyway as they don't last through the entire Winter.

They have to guess which strains are going to be going round this year that's why they're not 100% effective, last year they got it wrong and it was only 40% effective, other years it can be up to 60% effective.
    Last edited by great_fire; 07-12-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Had 'real' influenza only once and the worst ailment I have ever suffered and I've had a few. I have to admit I was really ill and didn't leave bed for one week apart from toilet duties. Took me well over a month to feel anywhere better. Thing is I've never had a flu jab and even looking back on previous bad events I won't have one.

Before I retired, I was sick and tired with pathetic plebs calling in, taking 2/3 days off saying they'd had flu, this really pissed me off as they had never had 'real' flu. So easy to throw a sickie these days as the PC brigade have stopped employers saying to lackies ...ferk off you're not wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    General price is about $30 but many places give discounts e.g. buy a gallon of milk and get half price flu jabs.
    Free for the over 65s in the US if you're on Medicare. I did it for the first time this year - pressure from Mrs CT, mainly. I have had real flu a couple of times in the past. It does seem to be a bit random whether or not it has any effect - which is why I've tended not to bother.

I'm on immuno suppressant medication for the arthritis so for me the flu jab is pretty much essential. I had no side effects this time, in the past it's caused fever like symptoms a couple of times. The Mrs had flu like symptoms for a few days after having the jab.
    Flu can be a killer, so the more people who get the vaccine, the better.

Flu jabs are free here in Florida and I've lived here for 17 years without actually meeting anyone who's had the flu so I don't know if they've had the jabs or whether they're just healthy without them.
    Last edited by sota; 07-12-2019 at 05:59 AM.

In the UK, if you are over 65 or suffering from other illnesses that affect your immune system you get a free jab. I have had mine. Influenza and, say, "common cold" rhinovirus are quite different types of virus. Influenza mutates at a fairly fast rate - it is not very good at copying itself accurately, - and rhinoviruses much more so. That is why you can be immunised against smallpox virus (doesn't change much over the years), need yearly "flu" jab, and can't do much about the common cold yet, as rhinovirus surface structure changes all the time (there are other medical approaches though). Influenza spreads most efficiently in damp conditions
    Last edited by mikemiller; 07-12-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Maybe Influenza jabs do work then Mike cos you can't get more damp than the swamp that is Florida and cases here are low .

I will only have the jab if it 100% covered man flu.
    For those who are not aware of it. Man flu is the 2nd biggest man club in the world nestled between man u and man city

Anyone that doesn't have the jab and gets ' proper flu ' will regret it
    Have mine religiously every year, in fact my GP practice sends a reminder by text message.

Get it done !

Had the flu jab last year, week after I got flu, not gone this year for the jab.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast