+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Terrace:

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Before that "straight swap" he'd changed it to 4-5-1 with Thomas already out on the wing then put Dennis on to go 4-3-3 with Enzio, Dennis and Wootton upfront. Thomas had an awful game even with his tap in so I had no complaints with that sub at all, it was the defensive Booty for Shields (although he was injured) sub that cost us but presumably Ardley thought we'd have more chance hanging on to a 1-0 lead by doing that than a like for like winger for winger (Osborne) when he can't trust Osborne defensively.
    I would agree that Shields injury actually made matters worse for us on saturday, for me he was the best of a bad bunch. Regarding the change to 451, I'm not convinced that happened and if it did I don't think it was necessarily intentional. Thomas has a tendency to drift out wide, mainly because he is hoping for better service out there. Equally Shields has a tendency to drift inside so the two compliment each other when that happens. Also, why go to a 5 man midfield when you are leading 1-0 at home? That is a very negative tactic. If we had been more assertive in our approach Sutton would never have got a look in. Just my opinion of course.

[QUOTE=DelroyFacey22;39379418]That's nonsense, Bird played a lot of games last season when Ardley came in and he showed nothing in that run of games that led me to believe he was a better option than Rawlinson, Turner or McCrory, we're yet to see Lacey kick a ball but his resumé would leave you to believe there's a good chance he will probably be a better, more experienced option than him too (but that's just a guess). Bird was alright but nothing special, always looked slow and prone to making a mistake though and sent the ball out of play attempting long passes at least twice a game.

If there attitude was that if they don't think they'll play they might as well not give it their all in training then they don't deserve a chance in the team but even that excuse wouldn't explain Nolan and Kewell also not picking Osborne. People would go mad at other Notts players if they didn't think they were giving it their all in training but I don't think it's that, it's just that he isn't as good as some fans seem to think, if he was he'd be playing, Ardley has said time and time again that if he thought he'd be an improvement he'd be in the team as he's trying to win games and playing your best players tends to help you do that.

So why is it nonsense? Bird did come into a very bad team last year and was the one player that came away with any credit at the season end. This season Bird was doing fine but then was dropped for no reason and now been shipped out on loan to be replaced by a loanee. Why? So do you not think that this will have an impact on the rest of the squad who can not force their way into a team that is making mistakes week in and week out and playing some really boring stuff? Do you think that this is a good way to manage the squad?

And as for the attitude, I was saying that as Ardley has had a year now and nothing has changed, so the fringe players last year are still here and still not getting game time even though the established players are playing poorly each and every week. Of course this will lead to these players just giving up as you can only try for so long before you realize that there is zero chance of making the team, so why bother?

If these unused players are not good enough then we can write this season off, as the team Ardley puts out every week is also not good enough under his leadership, so either we accept that we are at the level we should be at or get rid of the manager.

If you think that sticking with this same set-up every week is going to get us out of this mess, then don't complain when we end up with the same result as last year when sticking to the same 11 best players each week cost us our league place.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I would agree that Shields injury actually made matters worse for us on saturday, for me he was the best of a bad bunch. Regarding the change to 451, I'm not convinced that happened and if it did I don't think it was necessarily intentional. Thomas has a tendency to drift out wide, mainly because he is hoping for better service out there. Equally Shields has a tendency to drift inside so the two compliment each other when that happens. Also, why go to a 5 man midfield when you are leading 1-0 at home? That is a very negative tactic. If we had been more assertive in our approach Sutton would never have got a look in. Just my opinion of course.
    Probably should go to a 5 man midfield for the last 20 mins because Rose and Doyle only last for 70 mins. That is why teams come on strong the last quarter of the game those pair are knackered and we get over run.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard Ardley say on the radio something along the lines that the Chesterfield offers a chance to give some of the fringe players a game, so that those left out are ready for the busy Christmas schedule. If Sam Osborne is part of the starting eleven, and rips Chesterfield apart and scores a hat trick it will leave Ardley with a bit of a dilemma.

For the next game, does he put him on the bench or leave him out of the matchday squad altogether?
    Ardley, as the Dodo, is likely to field his regulars in the Caucus-race (see Alice in Wonderland) he sees as teamwork. He'll bring Osborne on with fif**** minutes left and 2-0 down and tell us it he knew he would let is down when we let in another goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    So why is it nonsense? Bird did come into a very bad team last year and was the one player that came away with any credit at the season end. This season Bird was doing fine but then was dropped for no reason and now been shipped out on loan to be replaced by a loanee. Why? So do you not think that this will have an impact on the rest of the squad who can not force their way into a team that is making mistakes week in and week out and playing some really boring stuff? Do you think that this is a good way to manage the squad?

And as for the attitude, I was saying that as Ardley has had a year now and nothing has changed, so the fringe players last year are still here and still not getting game time even though the established players are playing poorly each and every week. Of course this will lead to these players just giving up as you can only try for so long before you realize that there is zero chance of making the team, so why bother?

If these unused players are not good enough then we can write this season off, as the team Ardley puts out every week is also not good enough under his leadership, so either we accept that we are at the level we should be at or get rid of the manager.

If you think that sticking with this same set-up every week is going to get us out of this mess, then don't complain when we end up with the same result as last year when sticking to the same 11 best players each week cost us our league place.
    Didn't say I liked the manager I just don't think his team selections are the problem, with O'Brien out injured he has 2 central midfielders and Booty (if you can consider him a centre mid). I've explained why I don't think Osborne and Bird are secretly Messi and Pique but being hidden in the reserves and I'm a bigger fan of Dennis as anyone, I was one of the few that rated him last season and was disapointed to see him go out on loan, but Wes Thomas, despite recent form, is a better option to start games than Dennis with the current tactics.

Bird looked slightly above average but still slow and clumsy in a team with a defence that most fans absolutely hated so he stuck out as a positive, there are now 4 options ahead of him in the pecking order so there is no reason to keep him around sitting in the stands, he's better off playing games while he's young and hoping he improves.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    He did, and I think he will make wholesale changes next weekend...but revert to the usual 10 for the league.

Weird motivational language that isn’t it, not ‘they’ve got an opportunity to stake a claim for more regular inclusion’. Simply saying he’s resting his favourites who aren’t currently getting results for the league. He said the same during the injury crisis in October (which sparked our best form of the season) - ‘the lads coming in have got to keep the points ticking over for when the other boys are available again.’ Is he thick?! What sort of a message does that send out?
    That for me is bizarre! No manager ever says that, they say it's a chance for them to prove they should be in the first team. What incentive is there when he says stuff like that, he needs to go. We've got the stability, the owners and the team now with a new centre mid. We've just got the wrong manager.

Probably a little early to say we have stability lol

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    It is becoming increasingly frustrating to hear the manager not acknowledging the clear problems in his own tactics and style of play. Of course, behind closed doors it may be another matter as he has a responsibility to back his players in public. To suggest making automatic promotion is too defeatist in my opinion, it gives the players an excuse almost....as if it doesn't appear they are too mentally fragile already.

On Osbourne, sure, he showed glimpses of what he may one day be able to produce consistently but the games I've seen him in he has looked far too lightweight and ineffective. However, as a substitute he should be getting much more opportunities than he is getting.

I said give the manager at least until Christmas, but I'm getting increasingly bored and dismayed by his lack of drive, tactical nous and stubbornness.
    I’m afraid we need to realise and accept that automatic promotion has gone for us this season. August, and our late October and November poor form have put an end to that dream.

We have 22 games left and have got 33 points. If we got 2 points a game from now until the end of the season which is what every team top of the table in Championship, League One and Two and this League are all averaging that’s another 44 points meaning 77 points.

That will be not enough points and it means us displaying top of the table form from Saturday until the end of the season. I can’t see it as we were not this good during September and October.

The best we can hope for is to scrape a playoff place so long as our form goes back to what it was in September and October. If not we may stutter along around our current position and finish mid table. That seems a more likely outcome at the moment.

I’m not being defeatist here but looking at the performances in games that I’ve seen with my own eyes, current form and standing in the league and the probabilities and likelihood of what this seasons outcome will be based on that.

The Barrow game was the one that showed us all we need to do and be to get out of this league. We are not at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Probably a little early to say we have stability lol
    Well we do in the sense of the owners, squad ability, shouldn't be relegated etc. Now all we need to do is push on but there's no danger of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Maybe he gets more wrong in training as he tries twice as more things than others? Just putting that theory out there.

And again, putting across another angle, just maybe the players that are not selected simply can not be arsed to try in training as they know that there is no chance of being selected at all and even if there was a place up for grabs, then Ardley would get a loan player in to cover, so what is the point? Might as well take the money, not put yourself at risk of injury and wait till the contract is up and then move on.
    There are good training players and good match day players. As Mick Channon said 'I didn't stay in the game so long by giving it all in training'.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast