+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slade - So underated!

Slade - So underated!

Never really get the credit they deserve in my opinion.

Always a slightly “sniffy” attitude to them from the London based media and music pundits.

I was listening tonight to the second single I ever bought.....”Gudbye to Jane” which I purchased for about 45p when I was 11 in 1972......I’ve actually still got that vinyl single.

Great music,still a great record and if there’s been a better and more distinctive voice than Noddy’s in U.K. music history then other than Robert Plant in his pomp I don’t think anyone else is fit to lace Noddy’s boots.

The video below was recorded 47 years ago on 18th Dec 1972.......Jesus,almost five decades 😔

Still as magic as the first time I heard it as a kid.

The only decent thing ever to come out of Wolverhampton and the only thing from there that I could ever support!

https://youtu.be/GddY7Jj63tw

I liked Slade and I've often thought they were underrated too. As for them being the best thing out of Wolverhampton well b@ll@cks to that. Step forward Derek Statham 😎 .

Sorry. Meant to suggest Slade weren't the only decent thing that came out of Wolverhampton which was worthy of support. I'd have edited my original post if the site didn't automatically delete my posts when I try to edit them via Android.

Apologises to Derek Statham but I always said that the best thing to come out of Wolverhampton was the A449 but would settle for the A41 as a close second.

Seen Slade a few times in the early 70s and they were a great live band and just what you needed as ****agers because your parents hated all their noise and antics on stage.

Also spent many hours in and around Hazelslade but that’s is another story!

Lots of good bands came out of the back end of the 60's.
    Slade were always one of my favoured bands. From someone who was never into the band scene... Some great music then...

Yes , Noddy could certainly belt it out! Plant was very good but there are two rock singers that really stand out in my opinion, Roger Daltrey and Paul Rodgers.

Steve Marriott was a great vocalist for me, but the best of the lot as far as I'm concerned was Terry Reid. Turned down Led Zeppelin as he had a solo tour supporting the Stones at the time of asking and suggested Plant for the job.

Its interesting how diversity is put forward today as very important and yet in the music scene words are used like "Current" someone will say "I like it its very current" In other words Its ok if its like everything else. I used to look at opportunities for selling music via certain sites but stopped when they all wanted you to "Sound like" which was a way of getting you to write and sound like someone else so that they didn't have to pay the original artist the big bucks. Back in Slade's day there was lots of different bands with their own distinct sounds like 10cc off their own bat developing multi track vocals just because they thought of it. "I'm not in love" was born. My favourite example of ignoring what is expected by some is Bill withers who was told that his song introductions should be 11 seconds long. Bill promptly went home and wrote "Aint no sunshine" with no intro whatsoever. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Steve Marriott was a great vocalist for me, but the best of the lot as far as I'm concerned was Terry Reid. Turned down Led Zeppelin as he had a solo tour supporting the Stones at the time of asking and suggested Plant for the job.
    Hi, Robert Plant married my twin brothers best mate's sister who went to to our school. I used to take my brother and his mate to Planty's house for many a weekend and we met many of the top stars or the day and watched them jam.
    Have you heard the Small FAces version of Willie Dixon You need Loving. Planty copied the vocals and they even claimed to have wrote it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp0jZ4BGuDw

Never really thought much of Slade. Had them in the same category as The Osmonds and Bay City Rollers: aimed at the kids. Nothing wrong with that.
    I can see how an eleven year old would appreciate them.
    I liked the Monkees when I was eleven.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)