+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell return to third with a one goal win over Hearts

Motherwell return to third with a one goal win over Hearts

Chris Long scored the only goal of the game to give Motherwell a 1-0 win over Hearts at Fir Park. The Mighty 'Well have - External Link
    Last edited by jwok; 07-12-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Another interesting game. We were far from impressive but exceptionally solid. Before kick-off I felt absurdly confident and even during the game, despite our limitations, not only did I not think we would ever lose but I never thought we wouldn't win. That was more to do with them than us mind but how many times have we blown such potential gifts? A three from three return is an exceptional week.

Rangers is essentially a freebie, two points from the next two away games and beat Hamilton - or five points from the next four in other words - would have us hitting the break in a superb form.

I would agree the above but we're desperate a No9 who can unsettle a defence. Main available Jan'20 window as better what we have.
    Apart Long's stunner we offered little goal threat. Both goalkeepers void any action and a dull match but to our advantage.

A number 9 is a priority in January if we have any ambitions about European football next season. Kings Lynn in the National League Northern Division have a number 9 scoring goals for fun. Has been recommended to club on at least two occasions but has never been looked at. I know non league football isn’t in the same class as the Scottish Premier but you can only score against the opposition that is in front of you.

We were well worth the win and a beautifully worked and taken goal. Hylton had an excellent game as did Carroll and Grimshaw.

We absolutely must address the striking options in January as we carry far too little threat in that department. We don't have someone who can make the openings and take chances. I can't believe anyone would seriously suggest Curtis Main as an option to solve our problems in that department mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I can't believe anyone would seriously suggest Curtis Main as an option to solve our problems in that department mind you.
    With our limited budget and a player who delivered his first season, who would you suggest ?
    I'm being realistic suggesting Main as can't think of another ... Higdon/Sutton have surely retired and Pettigrew a pensioner.
    We either accept Long, Devante and Scott or <name your player>

Why do we always have to look backwards to former players all the time? That's what we've got scouts for, to source potential signings for certain positions.

In any event, when we need a striker who is going to get us goals then we have surely learned from experience that Curtis Main most certainly doesn't fit that criteria.

This might be a daft suggestion to some people. But there is a goalscorer who has proved himself in the Scottish Premier league but unfortunately is out injured at present for his club and is unlikely even when fit to get a starting slot, trying to get him on loan in January might suit both parties his name Louis Moult or Lee Griffiths

Long's last few performances are of a much higher standard than his early season ones. He's leaner, fitter and yesterday on a cuppla occasions I heard myself say ... 'where the fork did that turn of pace come from'?

Think he's due some time to show if he can cut it tbh.

I have heard a (likely hugely wrong) wee whisper Griffiths could be an option but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The striker debate is very interesting. Instinctively I agree (how can you not!) that we could and should improve the number 9 position but there's a delicate balance. Even without a proper striker we've scored more league goals than anyone in league outside the Old Firm. I definitely wouldn't go to back to Main but he worked last season because we had a 'guarantee' in goals from Turnbull and to a lesser extent Hastie. If we plonked him into this side as a non-scoring striker would you be truly confident anyone else would definitely provide the goals? Not really...

When we had Higdon standing around scoring goals (a slight exaggeration but still) we had a different team to this one and we could afford to carry a penalty box player. I don't think this one can and you'd need to be a huge optimist to dismantle something that works for something that might not.

If we can find a true all rounder who leads the line, contributes outside the box and scores goals then of course we should go for it but as Robinson got it right in summer (despite my and others doubts) that it was best to go without if we couldn't find someone we were completely happy with, we should stick to that in January too.

Long is still miles from the finished article but he's come on leaps and bounds since summer. Between him, Scott, the much-malgined (by me) Cole, the wingers, Donnelly being more dangerous than thought and our set pieces, we will muddle through with a decent number of goals this season even without a top striker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)