+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelvey

Shelvey

I was quite excited when we bought him. But it's fair to say that he hasn't lived up to the potential that he clearly has, and which he has shown for the past couple of games.

I hope he keeps this going as he could become a really good and popular player.

The problem with Shelvey, Hughie, is that, to a certain extent, he's like Sissoko in that he's got the talent but is too inconsistent to be a top player.

Any player can be anonymous in games but Shelvey has made it a particular skill of his. When he's on it, as he has been these last two games, he's a very good player, but we rarely see him play like that for an extended period. It's that old adage that if he played as well as he could most of the time, he wouldn't be playing for us.

He is better when is not trying for a amazing pass the whole game, When he keeps it simple he is far more usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The problem with Shelvey, Hughie, is that, to a certain extent, he's like Sissoko in that he's got the talent but is too inconsistent to be a top player.

Any player can be anonymous in games but Shelvey has made it a particular skill of his. When he's on it, as he has been these last two games, he's a very good player, but we rarely see him play like that for an extended period. It's that old adage that if he played as well as he could most of the time, he wouldn't be playing for us.
    I think this is true, Zip. If he'd been more consistent over the years he'd be at a 'bigger' (= more ambitious) club.

Agree,what I think as well with Shelvey is he thinks he is better than he is.Therefore doesnt need to put the effort in in a regular basis.
    On.his day he is good,but good players do it every week.Not when they feel like it.

Another Sissoko that only turns up 3 games a season.

I’ll need more convincing that he’s turned the corner

Quote Originally Posted by BenArfa10 View Post
    Another Sissoko that only turns up 3 games a season.

I’ll need more convincing that he’s turned the corner
    I'd agree with this.

ALthough if turning up gets us 9 points that is a plus.

Be interesting to see if he can keep this form up - he is currently our top scorer.

Perhaps he is a one trick pony and the one trick doesn't always work against every team.

He needs to find other ways to contribute when the one trick fails - like the really good players do whose games are multi facitated.

He seems to be getting into the box more under Bruce than Rafa. His goal against SU was a really nice run and usually it's his opposite man who makes unmarked runs like that, hence my biggest criticism of him. For our level, he needs to start games whenever he can but should be hooked fast when having one of his off days. Luxury players must be on form to play.

I do think he's one our more creative players, so if he can keep this up he's a valuable asset. If not, he's a waste of wages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)