+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Evans

Evans

I heard a few weeks ago there was a player kicking off and going mad. I found out yesterday it was Evans. Around the time he was getting games for Northern Ireland and was playing well. TM was playing Johnson, or Holbty etc everyone but Evans. So he stormed into his office and had it out with him. Said he was being left out to make way for out of form players, not contributing. And he's off if he didn't get his chance.
    TM is now saying publicly that to gertjd best out of Evans, he has to be angry. And at the moment, he has a point to prove.
    Personally, I don't care how, or why or who. Just as long as it's the best team out on the pitch. Which it wasn't up to a few weeks back. But Evans makes Travis a much better player. So should keep his place. I like TM being loyal to players, who perform. Not just because. We are a much better directory him in it. Downing not playing in modfoekd. And Bennett not playing at RB. Nyambe has been excellent. A proper RB. And Graham makes Dack & Armstrong better plsyers, for the team. Despite my misgivings about his age etc.

Champs - I've always been a Nyambe supporter, but I still think you're exaggerating Bennett's uselesness as a right-back. Remember that he came in originally because Nyambe was in a shocking patch of form - and, in fact, lots of fans were questioning his future. I remember comparisons with Adam Henley.
    Bennett went through a terrible patch of form himself at the end of last season and the start of this one.
    Let's not distort it, though. The Telegraph gave him 7/10 three or four times in the games from the Fulham match onwards. You keep mentioning the penalties too, but one of them was a ludicrous refereeing decision.
    Nyambe has earned his place again now, but I think your dismissal of Bennett is completely over-the-top. Our defence has been hugely disrupted this season, and our problems there were far more complicated than just the presence of one man in one position.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I've always been a Nyambe supporter, but I still think you're exaggerating Bennett's uselesness as a right-back. Remember that he came in originally because Nyambe was in a shocking patch of form - and, in fact, lots of fans were questioning his future. I remember comparisons with Adam Henley.
    Bennett went through a terrible patch of form himself at the end of last season and the start of this one.
    Let's not distort it, though. The Telegraph gave him 7/10 three or four times in the games from the Fulham match onwards. You keep mentioning the penalties too, but one of them was a ludicrous refereeing decision.
    Nyambe has earned his place again now, but I think your dismissal of Bennett is completely over-the-top. Our defence has been hugely disrupted this season, and our problems there were far more complicated than just the presence of one man in one position.
    I still say we are a better side without him playing at RB. Not all of it, but some of this up turn in form is down to this. I don't mind him coming on in his actual position to sure things up with 15 mins to go, and filling in now and then. But overall, taking him away from RB has improved us. Tosin and Lenihan are great together. Evans makes Travis a better player. My view on his age aside, Graham playing helps Dack. Armstrong playing on the right where he can use his pace properly. Downing is a revelation at LB, and another reason. The fact he isn't playing in our midfield is helping. His impact on the game from left back is far more effective. Far bigger than Bennett. At any point. That's my opinion on EB. He filled on for a while, then just lost all form. And continuing playing him was having a bad effect on the side overall. For now, Downing IS having an impact from LB. He can defend well, and I feel he sees more and the pitch opens up for him more in this position. There just seems more balance to the side, and no identifiable weak link. I know opposition where targeting our right side because we had a weak link.

A little bit of a worry leading into the Swansea game is Tony mowbray is showing concerns that his more experienced players wont be able to handle 2 games a week.
    Now I totally get that but taking downing and Graham out of the side when they are in great form could have a detrimental impact on the team.
    I would be inclined to make no changes and see how they go.
    On another note has bell been told he has no future?as when they talked about resting downing,Bennett was the name discussed as his replacement.

Agree with the above, don't tinker ffs!

Robin and Seventwo - I agree to some extent, but we also want to get to a point where alternative players don't weaken the team. I think we have got to that point in midfield, but I agree that disturbing front and back might not be sensible at the moment.
    One possibility is simply swapping the time-frames for Graham and Gallagher. That is, Gallagher for the first hour, with DG playing 30 or 40.
    Interesting that Bristol City lost at home to Millwall. I've just had the usual post-match essay(!) from my cousin, the City supporter. He says it was baffling that they could play so poorly for an hour in this game, after playing so well on Saturday.
    It seems to confirm again that there isn't much between any of the teams from third to about 15th.
    It's sometimes just a question of which team converts the more chances on the day.
    For me, it also demonstrates again that it's certainly not down to who happens to be the manager!

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Let's just see what's what after these next 2 games. 4 points would be great. 2 wouldn't be bad at all. 6 and I'm painting my head blue and white halves.

Aucks, if Bristol City 1 Millwall 2 (after Sat round of fixtures) doesn't sum up the championship I don't know what does. I watched that game and thought Bristol looked pretty average. Maybe just an off night? Millwall are like us, heading upwards without being noticed.

Bennett worries me, but this run was going to come to end sometime.
    He isn't a RB and absolutely isn't a LB. No doubt some unlucky pen is given away and suddenly we go back to bad luck again.
    Dack just doesn't look the same player without his mate Danny playing upfront. He knows that ball isn't sticking with anyone else. So even just 2 players being dropped, which is understandable due to age, 3 games in a week etc it unbalances us. We have a pretty decent first 11, but underneath that it really starts to thin out.
    I think we need Downing and Graham on Sat more than tonight. But equally, I don't like it when a manager starts messing about with a winning side.
    In his role though, he is always looking down the line. Loads of games coming up, thick and fast. We need players to be fresh. It's a pity Johnson is ****e as we could've done with him too! Hoping he gets off-loaded in Jan. He is the highest paid player at our football club and that needs addressing.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)