+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All four football leagues and below?

All four football leagues and below?

For some reason, I woke up this morning trying to think which clubs had played in all four leagues AND in the National League and below in their history. I was excluding clubs that had started outside the Football League and then played in the four divisions (Wimbledon, Northampton and Wigan come to mind in that category); it was clubs that had played in all five leagues AFTER joining the Football League

I could only come up with five clubs that fit my definition:

Luton Town
    Notts County
    Leyton Orient
    Carlisle
    Bradford Park Avenue

Can anybody think of any others?

Oxford ?

I believe Coventry City have a unique history as they've played in every league possible .

Premier League and First Division

Championship and Division 2

League One , Third Division , Third Division North and Third Division South

League Two and Division 4 .

Cambridge?

Don’t think Cambridge have ever been in the top flight, but do Wimbledon count going from non league to premier league then shafted back to non league then coming back again albeit with a slightly different name.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    Oxford ?
    Good call, Peri! I'd forgotten that Oxford had a spell in he First Division/Premiership and subsequently went back to the Conference for a bit.

So that's six...

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I believe Coventry City have a unique history as they've played in every league possible .

Premier League and First Division

Championship and Division 2

League One , Third Division , Third Division North and Third Division South

League Two and Division 4 .
    That's an interesting record, animal and I didn't know they'd been in both of the old regional Third Divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    Don’t think Cambridge have ever been in the top flight, but do Wimbledon count going from non league to premier league then shafted back to non league then coming back again albeit with a slightly different name.
    Technically I see them like Wigan and Northampton as a side that entered the Football League from non-league and played in all four divisions but never actually left the FL to play non-league. They became MK Dons when they moved to Milton Keynes and, as far as I recall, have never dropped out of the FL. AFC Wimbledon are a new club formed by supporters group unhappy with the defection of the original Wimbledon FC to Buckinghamshire. As such they've played non-league and the bottom two divisions of the FL so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Cambridge?
    They come close, gm-gm. The Premiership eluded them in 1992 when they finished fifth in the old Second Division but didn't make it in the play-offs.

Near misses for Burnley, Wolves and Cardiff not so long ago!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast