Quote Originally Posted by claw84 View Post
Wardy, I will give you a thoughtful argument why not to vote for Corbyn, when I along with fellow Marines were being shot at by the IRA in Belfast Corbyn was marching with IRA supporters on London streets. If that is the sort of man you wish to be our PM I despair.
You right wingers like to stick labels on people don't you, " commie" " traitor" " "tree hugger" " enemies of the people".

Jeremy Corbyn has always sided with the underdog and in my opinion always been on the right side of things. You talk about Northern Ireland. Corbyn supported the Civil Rights movement there.
I think a little bit of historical context might help and might demonstrate how the IRA came to be seen as the defenders of the Catholic population.
In 1969 the Civil Rights movement started a campaign for one man one vote in Northern Ireland. Remember this was 1969 in the cradle of democracy that was Britain. Well behind other European Western Democracies.

They also campaigned for fairness and justice in social housing

The Unionists would gerrymander constituent boundaries which meant there was always a Protestant majority hence leaving Catholics politically unrepresented.

Harland and Wolf the biggest employer in Belfast would only employ protestants.

There was a group of auxiliary police called the B Specials again 100% recruited from the Protestant community.

In 1969 a Civil Rights March from Belfast to Derry was continually attacked on the route by loyalists ably aided and abetted by the B Specials, who would soon be disbanded due to their thuggish behaviour, ( I served with one in the RAF and what a thuggish slob he was). Fifty seven people were hospitalised. When the marchers reached Derry that was when the trouble started.

In Belfast in what was described as a " pogrom" dozens of Catholic houses were burned to the ground and hundreds had to flee their homes. Eight people were murdered

Out of this emerged the IRA as defenders of the Catholic/Nationalist population.

Corbyn supported the Civil Rights Movement but if you and your fellow travellers want to portray him as pro IRA because it feeds the narrative, then you will.

As this is a Barnsley site, perhaps it's fitting to leave with the words of Second World War veteran, member of the Labour Party and Barnsley lad Harry Smith who died in 2018 age 95

" I cannot sit back in good conscience while the world my generation built is left to turn feral in the hands of right wing populists and indifferent capitalists"

Vote Labour tomorrow, vote Jeremy Corbyn