+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Britain

Ridiculous Britain

We had one of the Matrons sisters come down from Clacton on Friday for a visit.

We got up Saturday morning to find the whole drivers side window shattered and some coins taken from the dash, nothing else was left on show to entice them.

We tried to phone the Police to inform them of the crime, turns out you have to go online now to report a crime, which took over an hour.

The Car insurance folk were not much better, they could not get hold of the glass to fit it which I find strange as its a popular make and they gave her an appointment in 4 days !

She asked for a low loader to get her back home, again they said they would not do it, so she had to drive back to Clacton with no driver window.

I thought after the event that she should have asked them how it affects her Insurance, and if it was beneficial to her I'd have taken the car and torched it.

So we now have to report a crime online, and if you car insurance cannot get your glass replacement straight away you are not entitled to any assistance so you get to drive home in the freezing cold however many miles you have to travel, are we in England or Outer Mongolia ?

Sorry to hear about that Alto, it really is a pain in the arse you can all do without. Melissa Kite was writing in the Speccy last week about her experience of reporting a crime. It's behind a paywall so I suspect a link would be no use, so I've copied it. Hopefully you'll fare better than she did, but I expect you won't.

"Thank you for calling Surrey Police. We want to help you with your inquiry as quickly as possible. Did you know you can go online…’

That is probably the most depressing sentence in the English language. It is not only preposterous to suggest crime will be better dealt with by a website, it is insulting. I was ringing 101 to persevere with the police after trying to solve the burglaries in the barn myself, and after almost catching the thieves red-handed. After putting up game cameras, I captured images of them when they came back a second time. But I needed help with the grainy footage, and if the registration could be read, I needed the police to run it, obviously.
    I can’t search vehicle databases. I was going to have to bother the boys and girls and gender neutrals in blue. (I understand there is at least one police officer who identifies as fluid and surely more will follow.)
    So I dialled 101 and began hanging on the phone listening to this hoo-hah: ‘Reporting online will save you time and allow you to go to the right department first time.’ What department is that, then? The department for storing all the crimes and not doing anything about them? The department for coming up with excuses to fob off people who have had their stuff nicked and already reported it online? The department for deciding what department organises all these departments? In any case, it went on: ‘Please select from the following options. If you know the extension of the person you want to speak to press one.’ I did, as it happened, because after the burglary of my broken horse rugs and then my friend’s feed bins, this was ‘crimed’ under an ‘occurrence management number’. I had emailed the game camera footage of the second burglary, showing a Ford Transit van pulling up and two thieves loading up feed. I sent this to the officer I had been told to contact with updates when I first rang in. This officer had an extension number so I dialled it. Blank. Nothing. So I began again. This time I let the options continue past one: ‘If you don’t know the details of the person you need to speak to press two.’ I kept listening for another option that fitted better, such as: ‘If you wish to be connected to a person who has your evidence but is avoiding your call press three.’ But no such option materialised. Instead: ‘If you are a member of staff phoning in sick press five. For anything else please hold.’ To hear this list of pathetic excuses and feeble attempts to make you give up reporting what has happened to you press nine. So I held. A cheerful girl came on the line and I gave her my ‘occurrence’ number. I told her I had heard nothing back since emailing the police my camera footage showing thieves — they don’t like you calling them that, I think the proper term is ‘socially and emotionally disadvantaged prospective candidates for outreach’ — doing a burglary — they don’t like you calling it that, it’s an ‘occurrence’. She asked: ‘Are you wanting an update?’ ‘Well,’ I said, ‘I want to ask if you can enhance the images I sent and run the registration plate. I can’t do any more myself.’ There was a pause. ‘So you’ve been burgled?’ ‘Are you looking at anything in the notes that tells you what has happened?’ She intimated she was not. So for the third or fourth time in the past two weeks I commenced to explain the whole thing again, right back to how the Earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came. Twenty minutes later, when I had finished, she said she was going to ask her superiors. After a long silence she came back and said she was going to put me through to ‘occurrence management’. The line beeped, and a recording message said: ‘We are away from our desks. If you wish to report a crime, please call 101.’ Beep.
    So I left a message: ‘Right. This is completely unacceptable. I have solved a crime I’m a victim of and you don’t have to do anything except run the reg, then go round to their house and offer them more benefits, or whatever it is you do. And before you say you have worse crimes to deal with, have you considered that by letting people rob things with impunity it is emboldening them, so this crime leads to more crime and bigger crime and that is why you are so snowed under?’ Beeeeeeep. A few minutes later came the text: ‘So that we can continually improve our service we would love to hear your feedback. How satisfied are you with the service you received to your crime?’

Best of luck mate.

Its absolutely appalling the way our Country has obviously gone backwards over the years and will probably continue to do so.

I also found out that there was someone in our local chip shop the other week when someone drove into his car, he quickly reversed and sped off, the guy in the chip shop was told by the police that if there was any CCTV and "he! got the reg number they would investigate, the Chip Shop had CCTV but reluctantly would not let the customer see it, honestly the world has gone mad Sinkov

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Its absolutely appalling the way our Country has obviously gone backwards over the years and will probably continue to do so.

I also found out that there was someone in our local chip shop the other week when someone drove into his car, he quickly reversed and sped off, the guy in the chip shop was told by the police that if there was any CCTV and "he! got the reg number they would investigate, the Chip Shop had CCTV but reluctantly would not let the customer see it, honestly the world has gone mad Sinkov
    That's what we get after ten years of needless Tory austerity Alto. Boris is ahead in the polls so it ain't going to get any better, any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That's what we get after ten years of needless Tory austerity Alto. Boris is ahead in the polls so it ain't going to get any better, any time soon.
    Sorry to read about the problems alto, sad to say that this sort of thing is happening all over the country.
    Mismanagement and the quest to always remain PC, reliance on the digital age, organisations completely ignoring what their purpose is etc., etc. just mean that we, the public, suffer the consequences.
    BT making political capital of it once again, however, the truth is that this obsession with PC and people having educational qualifications but no common sense has basically led to a total lack of appreciation of what life is about.

It is Communism by the Back Door.This has been coming since the end of World War 2.
    Google The Frankfurt School who were expelled from Germany in the 1930`s.They had 11 recommendations all of which have been implemented by successive governments very slowly-almost unnoticeably.
    Frightening how much they have succeeded.

Recommendations of the Frankfurt School of the 1930`s.

1. The creation of racism offences.
    2. Continual change to create confusion
    3. The teaching of *** and homo***uality to children
    4. The undermining of schools’ and teachers’ authority
    5. Huge immigration to destroy identity.
    6. The promotion of excessive drinking
    7. Emptying of churches
    8. An unreliable legal system with bias against victims of crime
    9. Dependency on the state or state benefits
    10. Control and dumbing down of media
    11. Encouraging the breakdown of the family
    One of the main ideas of the Frankfurt School was to exploit Freud’s idea of ‘pan***ualism’ – the search for pleasure, the exploitation of the differences between the ***es, the overthrowing of traditional relationships between men and women. To further their aims they would:
    • attack the authority of the father, deny the specific roles of father and mother, and wrest away from families their rights as primary educators of their children.
    • abolish differences in the education of boys and girls
    • abolish all forms of male dominance – hence the presence of women in the armed forces
    • declare women to be an ‘oppressed class’ and men as ‘oppressors’
    Munzenberg summed up the Frankfurt School’s long-term operation thus: ‘We will make the West so corrupt that it stinks.’
    The School believed there were two types of revolution: (a) political and (b) cultural. Cultural revolution demolishes from within. ‘Modern forms of subjection are marked by mildness’. They saw it as a long-term project and kept their sights clearly focused on the family, education, media, *** and popular culture.

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

I'm sorry to hear about the above incidents - I have been a victim too.

But if you think that things are worse than in the good old days then you either are too young to remember or have a poor memory.

Do you remember the days before speed cameras? Our roads were full of young drivers tear arsing round the country safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't be caught. If, on the rare occasion that you were stopped by the police, you were asked by the officer how fast you were travelling, you would answer, "Ooh. I reckon I may have been doing 33MPH". And the police had nothing to get you on unless you caused an accident.

I remember, before the breathalyser was introduced, that most people used to drive to the pub and had a good night, and then drove home. Again, the police were powerless unless you had an accident. Friday/Saturday nights were very "interesting" on the roads.

The roads are much safer these days (the cars are much better too) although I realise that you are making a different point from the above - which I accept.

So you think things are better nowadays 59 ? There used to be a manned police station in Clitheroe, there isn't now. How is that better ? There used to be A & E at Burnley General, there isn't now, it was closed under a Labour government, now the good folk of Burnley have to travel to Blackburn. How is that better ?

The Tories have cut and cut the police budget around here to such an extent, our main police station in Astley Bridge is closed and totally unmanned. It used to house a hundred Bobbies.

The response time to 999 calls is pathetic and don't even bother to report a burglary, because all you get is a crime number.

You cannot keep on allowing the Tories to diminish our ***** services and expect the same response to emergencies. Unless you live in the South East.

V i t a l?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)