+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some good news

Some good news

Let's hope he isn't rushed back.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...r-make-3625345

A 70% fit O'Brien would be better than most of the current line-up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Let's hope he isn't rushed back.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...r-make-3625345

A 70% fit O'Brien would be better than most of the current line-up though.
    Definitely, but will he play him in his best position (centre mid)? Bear in mind that would mean dropping Doyle (never going to happen) or Rose (probably never going to happen).

We're crying out for someone in the centre of midfield to play a bit closer to the front two, and O'Brien is the perfect player to do that. But Ardley seems wedded to this bizarre defensive 442, with both CMs playing as holding midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Definitely, but will he play him in his best position (centre mid)? Bear in mind that would mean dropping Doyle (never going to happen) or Rose (probably never going to happen).

We're crying out for someone in the centre of midfield to play a bit closer to the front two, and O'Brien is the perfect player to do that. But Ardley seems wedded to this bizarre defensive 442, with both CMs playing as holding midfielders.
    I was thinking about it last night and I don't think Ardley is good at being a favourite. In his career he's been an underdog alot and also managing Wimbledon. Now he's come to a team that even if we were in league Two we expect to be challenging so especially in this league and I don't think he's got the mind set. That's why we play like we do, I think he's happy containing then snatching a goal instead of dominating teams from the start. Anyway that's my analysis ha ha. Have a good day mate.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I was thinking about it last night and I don't think Ardley is good at being a favourite. In his career he's been an underdog alot and also managing Wimbledon. Now he's come to a team that even if we were in league Two we expect to be challenging so especially in this league and I don't think he's got the mind set. That's why we play like we do, I think he's happy containing then snatching a goal instead of dominating teams from the start. Anyway that's my analysis ha ha. Have a good day mate.
    Definitely. I've thought the same before. His demeanor, the way he talks, his tactics, his previous club - it all suggests a manager who prefers to be the plucky underdog than the confident favourite.

Looking at his managerial history. He's never led a team near the top of the table. He's never really been in a season-long promotion campaign - he got Wimbledon promoted by sneaking into 7th place and then winning the playoffs. That's a great achievement, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly the same as gunning for automatic. Every other season he finished 15th or lower. Again, not a bad finish with Wimbledon in L1, but it shows that that's what he's used to.

This is the first time he's been at a club that expects promotion, and he seems unable to change his mentality. Winning is a habit, but it comes from a winning mentality, which means being ruthless, aggressive, and confident. We need a manager who instills those qualities in his team if we are to get promoted. The type of manager who sees our club's stature, budget, fan base, and stadium as an advantage - something for opposition teams to fear, not look forward to.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 10-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.

He will stick Jimmy out on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    He will stick Jimmy out on the left.
    100% this, and at the expense of both Booty and Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    100% this, and at the expense of both Booty and Shields.
    Correct... Ardley is a bottler, He will not have the guts to play OB in CM and drop either Doyle or Rose..It will be the usual scapegoats who are left out.. The sooner he is gone the better...

I think Doyle and Rose are the only two players of quality we have and if O'Brien is introduced it will certainly upset the perfect balance and undo the cohesion of the team achieved by Ardley's undoubted genius. No, leave O'B out, the team is just about to come good and show us promotion form, don't upset the applecart for a ha'poth of tar.

I can never understand why we don't play a more attacking style of play. We have, arguably, the best squad in the division, yet our slow build hardly gives our attackers a chance. With O'brien back surely now is the time to start entertaining us fans before the crowds start to dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by gozzie321 View Post
    I can never understand why we don't play a more attacking style of play. We have, arguably, the best squad in the division, yet our slow build hardly gives our attackers a chance. With O'brien back surely now is the time to start entertaining us fans before the crowds start to dwindle.
    You're right gozzie, every week we see the same slow build up, the Kop are bellowing for more forward action but I expect they (the players) are under orders. The opposition don't appear to have the same orders though and soon any of our development slows and their's increases. It isn't as if our regular style brings home the goods either, as we have seen, a high pressing team puts our tortoises under pressure and we become an incohesive pack. Unfortunately we haven't a manager who knows the answer of how to solve the problem and do the same to the enemy.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 10-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast