+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T N.H.S. Operations

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    As a car owner and tried parking up at general today. I will seriously consider getting a bus next time.
    Would any of you.
    Not on about everyone.
    Just for visiting or walking wounded etc
    It's like that every day crash, we try to use public transport where possible, doesn't cost us anything with the bus pass or I drop the wife off and come away from the hospital.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 11-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.

At least the bus drops you off relatively close to the entrance.
    If you end up at the far end of the car park. It's like walking from Bridlington.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    If you're disabled or have kids that are ill. and visit Rotherham General you have very little choice but to park in the car park.
    The article also says prices were increased by 10%.

Why is Boris Johnson talking about looking at car parking charges for certain people ?
    I agree that some people may have limited options about whether to drive, but what is the relevance of that to Exile's question about who runs a hospital car park?

Then article does say that prices were increased by 10%

I would imagine that BoJo is trying to counter Labour's 'free parking - somebody else is going to pay' policy.

Labour's policy is great for people who work near the hospital or where there is shopping nearby. Not so great for the disabled or people who have kids who are ill who may encounter an even greater struggle to find a space than that mentioned within the article.

The pounds value was cut because of the quantitive easing. European countries link to the euro is still being eased I think.

Quantitive easing was designed to pump money into the economy but the only way to do it was through the banking system.
    The banks were forced to stockpile money so that we wouldn't suffer another big crash.

Another word for quantitive easing is devaluation.

Companies are starting to put the prices up to cover the devaluation which means that in real terms, the government needs to get back to the real level of investment which isn't inflation. The real cost would be the devaluation of the pound.

There isn't enough money because the banks have stockpiled it!

If you are visiting a longer term patient , you can, as I have done before get a free pass.
    You pay for car parks all over the place. Why should hospitals be different.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    The pounds value was cut because of the quantitive easing. European countries link to the euro is still being eased I think.

Quantitive easing was designed to pump money into the economy but the only way to do it was through the banking system.
    The banks were forced to stockpile money so that we wouldn't suffer another big crash.

Another word for quantitive easing is devaluation.

Companies are starting to put the prices up to cover the devaluation which means that in real terms, the government needs to get back to the real level of investment which isn't inflation. The real cost would be the devaluation of the pound.

There isn't enough money because the banks have stockpiled it!
    The pound devalued rapidly as a consequence of the Brexit vote and remained low throughout the uncertainty of the last Parliament. It has risen sharply over the last few weeks in response to a possible return to majority government and the end of Brexit uncertainty. It will go through the floor in response to a Labour SNP coalition or further uncertainty.

A weak pound in the absence of significant inflation is very unlikely to have a bearing on car parking charges. It is importers who get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Due to have a new right hip replacement, had new left hip in last year.
    Had to go to the hip & knee replacement information school yesterday Monday 09 December at Rotherham General Hospital, different staff who have to do with a operation were there, from operating theatre, care, aftercare were there to give information on operations.
    We were told that now we have to wait 18 weeks for a operation, from seeing the consultant, & that a extra 2 weeks could be added on, a big shock, be it when I saw the consultant on the 01 October 2019 he said 13 weeks to the operation, it shows how the N.H.S. is over stretched.
    Well good luck with the op mate. I Recently had a knee replacement myself. I waited, get this, 18 months from being put on the waiting list to having the operation. The reason being, I had to have sleep studies after a form of sleep apnoea was flagged up in my pre assessment. Somehow during this period I got lost in the system. It was around late August this year when the issue was resolved. I was fast tracked and had to have another pre assessment, and do the consent forms with the surgeon again, go to Knee and Hip session again but it was plain sailing from then on and had the op on 4th October.

Presumably you'll be going to Keppel Ward after the op. You'll see how overstretched they are, but they were all brilliant and I can't praise them highly enough.

Good luck with it mate

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I agree that some people may have limited options about whether to drive, but what is the relevance of that to Exile's question about who runs a hospital car park?

I would imagine that BoJo is trying to counter Labour's 'free parking - somebody else is going to pay' policy.

Labour's policy is great for people who work near the hospital or where there is shopping nearby. Not so great for the disabled or people who have kids who are ill who may encounter an even greater struggle to find a space than that mentioned within the article.
    Good point.
    Weston Park Hospital in Sheffield used to have a free car park for outpatients. Great in theory except it got so full that there could be 20 cars or more queuing on the busy road outside the hospital waiting to get in. There was no procedure for checking that drivers using the car park were actual patients. Outpatients who were wise to this would get there up to an hour early in order to be in time for appointments. Even then they would be well advised to let someone else drive so they could get out of the car and go into the hospital, if necessary, to be on time.

The hospital then made the car park pay and display, (except for outpatients who needed regular treatment over an extended period. They could get a pass) This worked fine for a while - little or no queues. Eventually it got nearly as bad as it had been when it was free - I assume the rates were still competitive with other car parks. Perhaps I'm wrong in suspecting drivers of using a cancer hospital car park because it's handy/cheap. I don't think so.

Possibly the car park could have been managed better e.g. entry on production of appointment letter. Perhaps the hospital is a bit too trusting in the decency of motorists.
    Perhaps if Labour get in they will take steps to ensure genuine patients use free hospital car parks. who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

Exile looks like he’s saying if it’s good enough to franchise out and make profit it’s good enough to take in house.
    Very little free parking around RDGH, residents round there kicked up a fuss about people parking up instead of using the hospital car park.
    Try parking at Northern General, Sheffield Hallamshire or Weston Park Cancer Hospital. They have a monopoly on parking and it’s expensive.
    I’m not advocating free parking, just affordable or better public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Exile looks like he’s saying if it’s good enough to franchise out and make profit it’s good enough to take in house.
    Very little free parking around RDGH, residents round there kicked up a fuss about people parking up instead of using the hospital car park.
    Try parking at Northern General, Sheffield Hallamshire or Weston Park Cancer Hospital. They have a monopoly on parking and it’s expensive.
    I’m not advocating free parking, just affordable or better public transport.
    I don’t think hospitals would outsource parking if they didn’t see an advantage in doing so.

The notion that the profit would be the same irrespective of who runs a service is not right. A hospital running its own car parks would have to make arrangements for cashing up and banking the piles of coins they would receive, maintain payment points and barriers etc. and have staff patrolling to ensure compliance. A private supplier would have to do the same thing, but someone like NCP will have economies of scale – a team of coin collectors and engineers etc.

Anyway, enough of politics on this thread – I hope all goes well for Eric and that his treatment can be brought forward, if possible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast