+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are results the only thing that matters?

Are results the only thing that matters?

We're being cast in a negative light yet again as being an ungrateful and unrealistic set of fans because we haven't taken to Bruce in the same way we did Rafa. Apparently we should be over the moon with how things are given where we are in the League and have no right to complain about anything.

Well I beg to differ. Aye, ultimately it's a game about results and it's hard to argue that we're doing better-points wise-than many of us thought we would at the beginning of the season. But, how we're getting those points is a big issue for me. Is this really what we want? Less than 30% possession in most matches and being compared to Wimbledon of old...lumping the ball forward for a lone, battering ram striker? Is it not about entertainment too? You don't have to have free-flowing, attacking, front-foot football a la Man City to be entertained. Much as some of our early season games under Rafa were shocking at times, the football after Christmas was exiting to watch as we counter-attacked with pace and purpose, scoring something like the 5th most goals in the League from that point on. It was definitely entertaining. The turgid drivel we've got to endure this season isn't counter-attacking football, it's hoof-ball and it's piss poor to watch.

So-where does the balance lie? is anyone interested in results on their own or would you rather see us take more risks by trying to, well, play a little bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    We're being cast in a negative light yet again as being an ungrateful and unrealistic set of fans because we haven't taken to Bruce in the same way we did Rafa. Apparently we should be over the moon with how things are given where we are in the League and have no right to complain about anything.

Well I beg to differ. Aye, ultimately it's a game about results and it's hard to argue that we're doing better-points wise-than many of us thought we would at the beginning of the season. But, how we're getting those points is a big issue for me. Is this really what we want? Less than 30% possession in most matches and being compared to Wimbledon of old...lumping the ball forward for a lone, battering ram striker? Is it not about entertainment too? You don't have to have free-flowing, attacking, front-foot football a la Man City to be entertained. Much as some of our early season games under Rafa were shocking at times, the football after Christmas was exiting to watch as we counter-attacked with pace and purpose, scoring something like the 5th most goals in the League from that point on. It was definitely entertaining. The turgid drivel we've got to endure this season isn't counter-attacking football, it's hoof-ball and it's piss poor to watch.

So-where does the balance lie? is anyone interested in results on their own or would you rather see us take more risks by trying to, well, play a little bit more?
    It's a difficult one to strike a balance with. Just like would you accept relegation whilst playing the most exciting football ever but just losing most matches by the odd goal in five or seven.

End of season will tell as well as the action in the transfer window, if any. We don't know if Bruce could a) recognise the type of player he would like to replace what he thinks is not good enough and will be allowed to have any input into who comes in to replace who goes out.

No, results are not the only thing that matters but they're a big part of it.
    Entertainment in the main with results is what really matters.
    As long as we get some of each then it's ideal.

We've had some drab games this season but overall it's been entertaining in parts with the potential to grow in those stakes, once the squad get a full on grip with each other.

we have played mostly utter garbage this season , but Bruce must be w@nking off a leprechaun or something , because we are carrying serious luck. Bringing teams down to our level helps a bit also .
    Objective is to get to 35 points or so to ensure the £100m + sky bucks can be trousered by the Fat leech .
    The heart and soul has gone from Newcastle Utd . It's being run by a cockney spiv , with no talent management and even less talent coach, and is being attended by day outers , who if they had any history , respect or regard for the institute that is NUFC wouldn't be buying into this charade.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSausage View Post
    we have played mostly utter garbage this season , but Bruce must be w@nking off a leprechaun or something , because we are carrying serious luck. Bringing teams down to our level helps a bit also .
    Objective is to get to 35 points or so to ensure the £100m + sky bucks can be trousered by the Fat leech .
    The heart and soul has gone from Newcastle Utd . It's being run by a cockney spiv , with no talent management and even less talent coach, and is being attended by day outers , who if they had any history , respect or regard for the institute that is NUFC wouldn't be buying into this charade.
    Nail on the head.

Who us this Battering ram striker you speak of?? Only kidding.
    How we are getting results is a mystery cos we are shocking to watch.

Terrible football to watch with defenders playing anywhere will do hoofball

We are stringing results together but can’t see it lasting. I have watched most of the games and to be honest the football is absolutely dire

Bruce was primed to say the Club wanted to give something back to the supporters and Ashley decides to give free tickets to the richest of fans the season ticket holders.

Bruce is Ashley’s puppet

I remember arsenal singing and winning 1-0 and playing boring football but winning I don’t remember there fans having these conversations
    We all want Ashley out but I still want my team to win
    sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 5under1and View Post
    I remember arsenal singing and winning 1-0 and playing boring football but winning I don’t remember there fans having these conversations
    We all want Ashley out but I still want my team to win
    sorry
    Another one missing the point,the point myself and a few others are making is the football has been that dire that eventually luck will run out and we wont be winning games.As soon as anyone dares have a different opinion we are shot down by being negative or wanting the team to lose.Bollòcks.
    When the luck runs out this type of football will result in quite a few consecutive defeats.There doesnt seem to be any sign of the type of football improving to suggest otherwise.

Strangely enough I was thinking about posting similar sentiments. My take on it is that like many I do not enjoy,nor get excited about watching us on TV.Back in the day when the entertainers were king I knew that even if we were defeated 4 - 3 (aka Liverpool) we would bounce back next game with similar entertainment value & win ! Yes its a balancing act but surely those who pay good money deserve better.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)