+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh that Election

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I just don't understand what there is to worry about whatever happens.
    Life will go on and it is what you make it, in spite of what our wonderful poiticians do.

I shall continue my life, won't worry about a thing and make things happen that need to happen.
    Keep smiling folks, life is never as bad as you may think and when it kicks you in the teeth, just smile and get on with it.

Remember that, according to all politicians, Utopia is just around the corner!
    It all depends for me Sub, if Boris gets a workable majority and we can leave the EU, then it's either the Pol Roger or the Bolly coming out of the fridge, perhaps even both. If Corbyn and his chums get in, then I'll sit back and enjoy watching the ensuing mayhem as the lefties and snowflakes get what they wanted, it's their future, good luck to them in it, I'm too old for it to bother me. If it's back to a hung parliament I shall take your advice, I'll give up any interest in politics whatsoever and just stick to footy, the gee-gees and holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It all depends for me Sub, if Boris gets a workable majority and we can leave the EU, then it's either the Pol Roger or the Bolly coming out of the fridge, perhaps even both. If Corbyn and his chums get in, then I'll sit back and enjoy watching the ensuing mayhem as the lefties and snowflakes get what they wanted, it's their future, good luck to them in it, I'm too old for it to bother me. If it's back to a hung parliament I shall take your advice, I'll give up any interest in politics whatsoever and just stick to footy, the gee-gees and holidays.
    Yes, life will still go on and we can Carry on Regardless and laugh about it!

"How do you guys sleep at night, knowing that an amalgamation of Adolf Hitler, Donald Trump and Pol Pot is likely to be running our country for the next five years ? You poor buggers must be terrified, and I don't suppose reading the Metro, the Indie or listening to the BBC will make it any better either will it ?"

It's a serious question though BT, do you actually believe all that you read about Boris in the Grauniad, and if you do, how DO you sleep of a night ? If I believed only half of that nonsense I wouldn't be able to sleep, I'd be hunting down a source of cyanide tablets, or praying that the Russians will invade us, or the Martians have landed. No wonder some Burnley fans can't get through on The Samaritans Hotline, it's overloaded with lefty Grauniad readers.
    Afternoon Sinkov!

Get the bolly at the ready because nothing can stop Boris now.

As you know, I don't think either Boris or Jeremy are fit to run the country. I have come to this conclusion over many years watching them and listening to them with my own eyes and ears. I don't need to read the opinion pieces from any media outlet.
    You must have seen and heard the same stuff as I have but you have reached a different view on Boris. (I think we basically agree on Jeremy?)

Being a 66 year old who has never voted for the winning party in a General Election I am used it by now and I will lose no sleep over it. But I can clearly see a lot of sh1te coming our way as a country with someone like Boris at the wheel.
    But I am a little surprised at you. You are clearly happy with Boris's BRINO - which I thought you were dead against. Unless you think we will crash out with no deal next December when the trade talks have not been concluded and Boris refuses to extend the talks?

Me? I remain a firm Lib Dem supporter, activist, local councillor and eco-loon.
    When we finally leave, either with or without a deal, I will be hoping and praying that the outcome is good for my country, my family and myself. But I am convinced that all of the above will be much poorer and less well regarded in the world.
    We are currently the fifth richest nation on earth - let's see where we are when the dust has settled.

I'm off out to vote in half an hour 59, but I'm by no means convinced it's in the bag for Boris, not at all, another hung parliament would not surprise me in the least.

Yes I know all the guff about Boris, even if only half of it is true he's a bit of a reprobate isn't he. But it doesn't worry me, he's just the latest in a very long line of very dodgy politicians, and we've survived them before, we'll survive Boris. Is he really a more dubious character than say Jeremy Thorpe, who somehow virtually got away with murder, or Sir Cyril Smith, the notorious kiddy fiddler, protected by the Establishment, or Paddy Pantsdown, the virtuous, happily married man found to be banging his secretary every chance he got, or David Laws who had to resign from the Cabinet, and was suspended from the Commons, when he was found to be fiddling his expenses, or the liar Chris Huhne, 8 months at Her Majesty's pleasure for perverting the course of justice, or Cleggy with his notorious broken promises to students, or that silly man Farron, whose weird views on gay people brought about his downfall. You're a LibDem 59, as my old mum used to say, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. But you get my point, why should I worry about Boris, is he that different or worse ??

And no, I'm not happy about Boris's Brino, but it is better than May's Brino, and it's either that or we stay in the EU. So what choice does this poor boy have, Boris's Brino it is.

I hope you're having a good night Sinkov?

Well, we'll all have to suck it up now. In your case this means large quantities of Chateau de plonk. I my case large quantities of humble pie.

Ah, well. Roll on 2024

I am sure that the world will have ended up here in Ashington after last night's events!
    Doom and gloom will be all around, in spite of the usual suspect being elected.
    Life will go on and people will adopt a negative attitude and tell me how bad things are whilst going in to get their nails done or their teeth whitened on their way to the food bank.

I do wonder how the hell me and the missus have survived for 72+ years without ever having nails done or teeth whitened etc., etc. ----perhaps it is because we never had the spare cash or could it be that we have accepted life as it is and have never been wannabees?
    Ah well, another day, another dollar and still paying taxes to keep the locals happy. It's a great life!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I hope you're having a good night Sinkov?

Well, we'll all have to suck it up now. In your case this means large quantities of Chateau de plonk. I my case large quantities of humble pie.

Ah, well. Roll on 2024
    Yes it was a good night 59, I was always a a bit dubious until I saw the Tories had won Burnley, then I went to bed happy, if they had taken Burnley, then it was going to be a stonking majority for sure, and Brexit would get done.

My commiserations, you must be disappointed, and although I know you have to follow the party line as a member and councillor, did you really think it a good idea to propose revoking A50 and telling 17.4 million people in a democracy that their votes didn't count ? It seemed lunacy to me at the time, and so it's proved.

Yes it was a good night 59, I was always a a bit dubious until I saw the Tories had won Burnley, then I went to bed happy, if they had taken Burnley, then it was going to be a stonking majority for sure, and Brexit would get done.

My commiserations, you must be disappointed, and although I know you have to follow the party line as a member and councillor, did you really think it a good idea to propose revoking A50 and telling 17.4 million people in a democracy that their votes didn't count ? It seemed lunacy to me at the time, and so it's proved.
    sinkov---very strange to see Blyth Valley going blue after 69 years consecutive Labour/Independent Labour and also my own constituency, where the incumbent is the Chairman of the Labour Party, saw his majority reduced from over 10,000 to 814!
    I never thought that I would see the day when a Tory would get in at Blyth!
    Sedgefield was also a big surprise ----come in Tony Blair!
    Last edited by Supersub6; 13-12-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Aye, some amazing results last night - I still can't believe that Burnley has gone Tory....

And yes. Our revoke A50 policy backfired badly and turned out to be a monumental error.
    At the time the Lib Dems were riding very high having just had terrific local and Euro election results and were sometimes actually ahead in the polls.

That one policy turned off loads of our new supporters and Jo must be reflecting on it today.

In the event we had about one in eight people voting Lib Dem which, in a fair system, would result in over 80 MP's. We got just eleven.

Perhaps looking at this should be Boris's first priority?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Aye, some amazing results last night - I still can't believe that Burnley has gone Tory....

And yes. Our revoke A50 policy backfired badly and turned out to be a monumental error.
    At the time the Lib Dems were riding very high having just had terrific local and Euro election results and were sometimes actually ahead in the polls.

That one policy turned off loads of our new supporters and Jo must be reflecting on it today.

In the event we had about one in eight people voting Lib Dem which, in a fair system, would result in over 80 MP's. We got just eleven.

Perhaps looking at this should be Boris's first priority?
    59_60 --this has always been something which I have felt needed changing in order to give a fairer representation, however, they just seem to ignore it and just change borders around every so often to try to ensure that whoever is in power will have a good chance next election!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)