+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh that Election

Yes Super, but I'm not holding my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

In the event we had about one in eight people voting Lib Dem which, in a fair system, would result in over 80 MP's. We got just eleven.

Perhaps looking at this should be Boris's first priority?
    The one that always gets me 59 is the SNP, they get 1.2 million votes and 48 MPs, the LibDems get 3.6 million votes and 11 MPs. I don't know how or why this situation exists, I'll have to read up on it sometime, but the Jocks are ludicrously over-represented in parliament and yet do nowt but moan and whinge about how badly treated they are. I'd love Boris to give them their Indyref and for them to win it. They can feck off for me and it would be a monkey off England's back.

And don't worry, I'm sure PR will be on the top of Boris's in-tray first thing on Monday morning. Or maybe not.

Aye Sinkov.

Our voting system was invented when we only had two parties - and it's fine in that case.

SURELY it needs changing?

If Boris was a true believer in democracy then he'd do summat about it.

But he isn't so he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Aye Sinkov.

Our voting system was invented when we only had two parties - and it's fine in that case.

SURELY it needs changing?

If Boris was a true believer in democracy then he'd do summat about it.

But he isn't so he won't.
    59 mon ami, you're an absolute star, you've made my weekend. A LibDem complaining that someone from another party doesn't believe in democracy. Absolutely fecking brilliant, I've just spent two hours watching Strictly Come Dancing, but I've had more entertainment in just one sentence from your good self. Stick at it, with such an astounding lack of self-awareness you're bound to go far in politics, especially with the LibDems. I'm so glad you're back, it just wasn't the same without you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'll be in Germany. I'm voting at 7.00 am, then flying off to escape the prospect of another five years of Tory lies and austerity.

God help us.
    Come back soon safe & sound BT.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    59 mon ami, you're an absolute star, you've made my weekend. A LibDem complaining that someone from another party doesn't believe in democracy. Absolutely fecking brilliant, I've just spent two hours watching Strictly Come Dancing, but I've had more entertainment in just one sentence from your good self. Stick at it, with such an astounding lack of self-awareness you're bound to go far in politics, especially with the LibDems. I'm so glad you're back, it just wasn't the same without you.
    I know what you are trying to say of course and it won't surprise you that I disagree

During A GE every party lays out it's proposals for a future Government and it up to the people to decide. That's democracy.

So if the Lib Dems stated that, if elected, they would revoke A50 then they are perfectly at liberty to do this. If enough people vote for your proposals then they will be enacted. If Labour had been elected then many of our utilities etc would have been nationalised. You may not agree, but they would have a public mandate for doing it.

I admit that our revoke A50 was a big mistake which immediately turned off a lot of voters. But the policy can't be described as undemocratic.

And reading further up this thread we seem to agree that our voting system is undemocratic and needs to be changed.

Boris is not stupid and must realise this. But he also realises that the flawd system favours his party and he will put party advantage before the good of the country. To be fair, any Labour/Tory PM would do the same - but it is doing nothing for democracy.

Strictly was great. I would have picked Karim but have no problem with Kelvin winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Come back soon safe & sound BT.
    My sentiments as well Outwood, let's get our other resident lefty back on board to moan and whinge about Boris. I've been on the Grauniad website again as well, what a delight, they're in meltdown, I've never read such drivel, they still don't get it, way off the 'deluded' scale again with the arrow hovering over 'demented', and I can't imagine the state Facebook and Twitter are in.

With the Left in utter disarray, what a happy, contented bunny I am this weekend, I just hope the Samaritans are coping.

"Strictly was great. I would have picked Karim but have no problem with Kelvin winning it."

We can always find something to agree on 59, if not much, Kelvin was brilliant, absolutely outstanding, but I agree with you, I thought Karim was even better and deserved to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Strictly was great. I would have picked Karim but have no problem with Kelvin winning it."

We can always find something to agree on 59, if not much, Kelvin was brilliant, absolutely outstanding, but I agree with you, I thought Karim was even better and deserved to win it.
    The band, as usual, were the best thing on the show!

"I admit that our revoke A50 was a big mistake which immediately turned off a lot of voters. But the policy can't be described as undemocratic."

Quite honestly 59, I'm at a loss. I can only think of one thing more undemocratic than refusing to implement the result of a referendum and insisting on holding another one just because you didn't agree with the result, and that is to overturn the result of that referendum and arbitrarily declare it null and void. It's not only undemocratic, it destroys democracy itself, which requires the loser's consent to survive. If you don't see this 59, then you must be living in a parallel universe.

"And reading further up this thread we seem to agree that our voting system is undemocratic and needs to be changed."

It's a flawed system, it has anomalies which need addressing imo, but it's not undemocratic, and I prefer FPTP to any other system. The beauty of FPTP is that it usually delivers a government with a working majority that can actually govern, and if they make a pig's ear of it they can be replaced by another one. Any form of PR will result in a coalition that will have great difficulty agreeing on anything, it will be like a permanent hung parliament and the entire country has just had a bellyful of that, so no thanks, I prefer to stay as we are.

"]Boris is not stupid and must realise this. But he also realises that the flawd system favours his party and he will put party advantage before the good of the country. To be fair, any Labour/Tory PM would do the same - but it is doing nothing for democracy"

There is absolutely nothing in our system to stop the LibDems getting as many votes as Labour or the Tories, except a lack credible policies and credible politicians to implement them. There must be at least 17 million people in the UK who want to remain in the EU, the LibDems managed to persuade just 3.7 million of them to vote for them. There were 13 million Remainers and thus potential LibDem voters who didn't want to know, who you couldn't persuade to give you their vote. That's why the LibDems remain a minor, insignificant party 59, nothing to do with FPTP.
    Last edited by sinkov; 15-12-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)