+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Atmosphere at St James'

Atmosphere at St James'

After the 'great give away' we're going to see an increase in numbers at St James' for a short time at least. However, I think the atmosphere could get even worse. IMO a large part of our more vociferous support is among those who have decided to protest against the shameless running of the club and stayed away. That's why the atmosphere has got worse recently. Replacing them with a load of people who, otherwise (without it being free) wouldn't go, is hardly going to raise the rafters.

As the atmosphere gets worse I wonder if people will start to feel that they're better off watching on tv where they get a better view, replays and analysis? Personally, if he wasn't the owner, I would always go to the match given the choice but how long will our 'new found' supporters do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    After the 'great give away' we're going to see an increase in numbers at St James' for a short time at least. However, I think the atmosphere could get even worse. IMO a large part of our more vociferous support is among those who have decided to protest against the shameless running of the club and stayed away. That's why the atmosphere has got worse recently. Replacing them with a load of people who, otherwise (without it being free) wouldn't go, is hardly going to raise the rafters.

As the atmosphere gets worse I wonder if people will start to feel that they're better off watching on tv where they get a better view, replays and analysis? Personally, if he wasn't the owner, I would always go to the match given the choice but how long will our 'new found' supporters do the same?
    It will be a fantastic and significant snub if not as many as expected take up the offer of the freeby

He is saying fk you to the stayaways. Shows there wont be a policy change anytime soon.

He thinks giving tickets to the sheep will mean they will bring in more similar minded sheep.

Losing money through empty seats and 2 relegations will be the only thing to get rid.

A few unentertaining results to finish 15th-17th in one season is one thing - we've had this for 13 years but when this is the only long term goal year on year the sheep get what they deserve.

Atmosphere,what atmosphere?.Games I see on TV the crowd noise wouldn't wake a restless sleeping bairn up.Ground full of day tripping fans.Most with no love for the club just a status of attending Premier League games.
    Had a chance to hammer home to a rattled Ashley but at the first opportunity took yet again a selfish option to give him the go ahead to carry on his rape of this great club.
    I just hope this stunt of free(which I dont believe as the cost will be claimed back somewhere) causes a divide in the fanbase and could backfire spectacularly.I doubt it though.I wouldn't be happy at paying a 25 percent increase just for someone to get 1 free.Even if they were family or friends.Then again I dont roll over and have the pěss taken out of me by a fat cockney thief every season either.

My mate lives on Stanhope St and the only time he has had any indication that there was a match on was when Bruce jumped when we scored v man city , it rattled the photos off the walls.

Ashley chased a lot of the fans away
    He just wants students and basically daytripper fans

Quote Originally Posted by toonfalifekevbrown View Post
    Ashley chased a lot of the fans away
    He just wants students and basically daytripper fans
    No way that attitude will fill the stadium or provide real atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    IMO a large part of our more vociferous support is among those who have decided to protest against the shameless running of the club and stayed away. That's why the atmosphere has got worse recently.
    Aye, i reckon there's a lot of truth in this.

Imagine those 10,000 tickets were all given to all of the fans boycotting and the seats stay empty.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)