+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- After the election

The right wing press have obviously got stuck into Corbyn and he did have some good policies, but Labour desperately need an electable leader, a Blair-type figure with a more radical agenda. I have a feeling Momentum aren’t going to let go of the party anytime soon though.

Despite their protestations, Labour and the Lib Dems just weren’t desperate enough to #getJohnsonout
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 13-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    The right wing press have obviously got stuck into Corbyn and he did have some good policies, but Labour desperately need an electable leader, a Blair-type figure with a more radical agenda. I have a feeling Momentum aren’t going to let go of the party anytime soon though.

Despite their protestations, Labour and the Lib Dems just weren’t desperate enough to #getJohnsonout

Give Diane Abbott a go, a born leader.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Give Diane Abbott a go, a born leader.
    Amazing that we never heard from Abbott during the campaign, this is a person that could have been Home Secretary FFS. Says it all that Momentum hid her.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Amazing that we never heard from Abbott during the campaign, this is a person that could have been Home Secretary FFS. Says it all that Momentum hid her.
    We all take the pish, but in all honesty, is the woman well? It could be early onset dementia for all we know. It would have been better all round to keep her out of the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    We all take the pish, but in all honesty, is the woman well? It could be early onset dementia for all we know. It would have been better all round to keep her out of the limelight.
    I wasn't taking the p1ss gump, just like I know you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Abbot has been kept in a cupboard for weeks. She's a liability every time she opens her mouth and there's the small matter of her son biting a police officer whilst, allegedly, off his t*ts.

I saw a photo of her the other day, posing for a photo whilst wearing odd shoes. Both of them left shoes.
    I'd normally dismiss it as Photoshopped but this is Abbott after all 🤔

The arrogant , un-democratic politicians who refused to listen and act on our wishes, calling us stupid and racists for voting out got their just desserts last night. I for one won't shed a tear. I'm from Gedling constituency and we sent Vernon Coaker ( our local candidate !!!! ) Packing back to bread and lard island where he actually lives. So our ex local candidate lives in the Rushcliffe borough and loved Gedling that much he chose not to live here.

Quote Originally Posted by dam617 View Post
    Abbot has been kept in a cupboard for weeks. She's a liability every time she opens her mouth and there's the small matter of her son biting a police officer whilst, allegedly, off his t*ts.

I saw a photo of her the other day, posing for a photo whilst wearing odd shoes. Both of them left shoes.
    I'd normally dismiss it as Photoshopped but this is Abbott after all 樂
    I bet she lost the counts of the weeks.

I have a simple two stage plan for Labour to get back on track:

Step 1 - tell Momentum that even though some of their aims are laudable, many of their more extreme ideals are at odds with where Labour want to be. Momentum need to cut all ties with Labour and set up as a separate party, and stand or fail accordingly.

Step 2 - When Jeremy Corbyn steps down, elect Jess Phillips as his successor. At the moment she is a bit of a novice, but she is one of those rare politicians who is in it for what she can give rather than what she can get. She has an ability to connect with people, and I think her honesty will be a big vote winner compared to the serial liar who is currently occupying 10 Downing Street. It will be a long term project, but one I think will be well worth investing in.

Brexit and Corbyn proved to be huge negative factors for Labour in this election, yet the irony is that if Corbyn had stayed true to his underlying 'Leave' instincts during the EU referendum campaign in 2016, he would have emerged at that time as the only major party leader in touch with "the 52%", which might well have been beneficial to his party and his leadership in the years since. Instead, it was Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings who heeded the lesson taught to the Conservatives by the Brexit Party at the European Elections and duly reaped huge rewards last night.

Another feature of this election was the attitude of some of the Momentum activists who adopt a particularly "in your face" campaigning style and have a tendency - especially on social media - to round aggressively on anyone who doesn't completely share their view. Some of the so-called 'Corbyn Outriders' apparently see no irony or contradiction in claiming to advocate a more empathetic, peaceful, tolerant, respectful society … and then attacking anyone who even mildly questions their ideology like a pack of rabid dogs. Calling people "Tory Scum" or "gammon" or various other insults is unlikely to win them over to your argument, and did a direct disservice to Jeremy Corbyn who (whatever you may think of his policies) retained his politeness and dignity throughout a gruelling campaign.

Going into last night I thought the result would end up being close, but on reflection I do wonder whether Momentum's approach, instead of mobilising more support for Labour, actually antagonised and further energised the Conservative and 'Leave' support base.
    Last edited by jackal2; 13-12-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast