+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On This Day

On This Day

, ok, not quite, I’m a couple of hours early! However on a dreich,dismal,miserable night on 12 Dec 1979 at Dens Park, United finally fulfilled their potential and secured their first ever major trophy. Following on from a dreadful first game at Hampden which ended 0-0, United put (the future Sir) Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen side to the sword romping home in style 3-0. Goals from Wullie P (who just a few weeks later would put 4 past the Funsters at Tannadice) and Luggy through Miller’s legs, secured the silverware causing delirium for the watching Arabs. As a direct consequence, United’s support increased five fold overnight as young Funsters (whose faithers were fifth generation Dees didn’t you know) immediately jump shipped and started supporting United, simultaneously moving to the suburbs of East Angus at the same time.

What a night, what a night, what a night! Forty years, cannae believe that, remember it like it was yesterday. Although the programme hardly did it justice.

Last edited by JamesMcClean; 11-12-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Fulfilled our potential that night? Nah, put a marker on it for the future!

On this day before it ends in 1993/94 season

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTJ5q2ZNl6k

Rangers 0-3 Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    , ok, not quite, I’m a couple of hours early! However on a dreich,dismal,miserable night on 12 Dec 1979 at Dens Park, United finally fulfilled their potential and secured their first ever major trophy. Following on from a dreadful first game at Hampden which ended 0-0, United put (the future Sir) Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen side to the sword romping home in style 3-0. Goals from Wullie P (who just a few weeks later would put 4 past the Funsters at Tannadice) and Luggy through Miller’s legs, secured the silverware causing delirium for the watching Arabs. As a direct consequence, United’s support increased five fold overnight as young Funsters (whose faithers were fifth generation Dees didn’t you know) immediately jump shipped and started supporting United, simultaneously moving to the suburbs of East Angus at the same time.

What a night, what a night, what a night! Forty years, cannae believe that, remember it like it was yesterday. Although the programme hardly did it justice.

I was there, it was a great night despite the weather and the shocking pitch condition!

I like the programme - spirit of the age - punk rock fanzine fanzine feel to it.

I was there too, and the 0-0 @ Hampden, brilliant to see us lift our 1st major trophy

Yeah I was there. When I started supporting United in 1963 I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd see us lift a major trophy. That was some night, very very emotional for the fans.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)