+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What amount of money is Brunton Park worth?

What amount of money is Brunton Park worth?

Obviously the value of something is the maximum that anyone will pay to own it. What do you suppose that figure to be?
    Last edited by Neil_McDonalds_dick; 12-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Considering you have a wonky stand, the pitch gets flooded, and you are a VERY long way from London, I reckon its worth about 45 grand.

Firstly it has no bedrooms. The seats don't face a tv, mind you, there is a large choice of where to sit, no bath, or central heating. Before you say that you can play football there, no football has been noticed for many many years. The Cambridge commentator said that the current Carlisle team are the worst he had ever known.

No garden, huge poll tax bill, its going to take a lot of money to bulldoze it and start again. Maybe an Aldi could be built there, or a lazer building, or a skate park. I would prefer a Rupert Bear factory, producing annuals of Rupert and the Elves.

Gustav Holz.

Someone remind me what the Board think it’s worth. You know, it’s in the accounts.

Frank will go ballistic.

The land is quite valuable, despite flooding potential. It's largely empty space - right next to the M6, walkable from the West Coast main line and City centre

Last century Micheal Knighton took out a mortgage on the ground (just the ground, not the land) for £1 million.

If you add the rest of the surrounding land the club owns you would probably double that to £2 million - pre 2000.

Land values since then have more than doubled, so these days you're looking at probably somewhere between £4 / £5 million.

That's why you have vultures like Andrew Lapping circling around currently hoping the club will fail. The plan is to pick the club up for nixy noodles - develop the land (business park etc), farm the club out to a 10,000 capacity shoebox in the back of beyond and vanish into the ether counting your wedge. Nothing illegal - just business.

I think MK took out a mortgage pre-floods, it’s highly unlikely it would happen again because the building would be vulnerable therefore not worth as much. Parts of the ground are basically falling apart. The floods changed everything, Piglet, and the local Council wouldn’t necessarily pass any planning for a large scale redevelopment of the site for a change of use when there are other locations around the city still looking for tenants or owners. I think four or five million is pie in the sky and therefore the accounts are, basically, a fiction. It still has value as a football ground and could be redeveloped with the attendant risks, but who would pour money into that?

Why are you discussing selling the ground? Are you going bust? Cambridge have announced plans for a new 35 million ground. It will have a capacity of about 12 thousand, with room for further development, and be multi use. Everything comes and goes. How it will be paid for isn't clear.

I remember being lifted over the turnstyles at the Abbey...…. sob.

p.s, I remember watching United lose 4-1 at Fulham in the league cup during our second year in the league. Two Fulham lads were discussing whether to go to Carlisle the next Saturday, and decided to go. It was 1971 I think. I was impressed then.

You used to be a big club.

Pre-floods? How many thousands of years ago was that?

Since people have been living in the area the land in question has always flooded - funny that, considering it's a floodplain.

Let's see Griff - in your memory - 1963, 1968, 1979, 1980 and 1984 - before 2005. Since the 1700s it has flooded more times than most of our supporters can count. Speak to any elderly type person and they will regale you tales of "rowing boats tied to trees on Warwick Road" and the like.

No, the fact of the matter is - the land is no more prone to flooding now than in it was when Knighton took out the mortgage.

Psow, you're right we used to be a big club - and we will be again, thanks. We are not going bust - we're being financed by a bona fide billionaire. The value of the ground is in question because you have various chancers, vultures and ne'er-do-wells circling around the club every time we have a bad run of results sowing seeds of negativity hoping the club will fail so they can pick up the pieces for their own advantage.

I think you know what I mean, Piglet, the more recent floods that were the worst (for the Club) in recent memory.

“The flooding experienced in Carlisle on the 5th and 6th of December 2015 was unprecedented”. This, of course, followed the also catastrophic floods in 2005 which was a once in every 170 year event in terms of seriousness - but which was then exceeded in 2015.

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/...2494151257.pdf

I stick by my views Tim. Whatever the causes of climate change it’s only going one way and Winters in Cumbria are getting warmer and wetter. Records keep being broken. The current flood defences are admirable but stand to be breached again if another Storm Desmond comes our way. I therefore don’t accept your statement that the land on which BP stands is no more prone to flooding than when Knighton got his mortgage. There’s another accident out there waiting to happen, and actuarial accountants will have taken due note of that. Giving the ground a spurious value is, to my mind, ridiculous.
    Last edited by griff; 15-12-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Oh, for those of an enquiring mind, the value of freehold land and buildings shown in the last accounts was more than £8 million.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)