+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Next Labour Leader thread

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I admit I'm a minority but while I'm breathing I still think it's a bit of a fecker when a Labour Leader has to look like a Tory , speak like a Tory and have Tory light policies to attract middle England to gain entry in to Downing Street .

It's quite possible I won't ever vote again which isn't exactly going to hurt any party in the future but clearly I have no political home and I don't see that changing .

The party isn't going to stay left leaning after this debacle and I ain't selling out either .
    I don’t think that’s true at all I voted corbyn in 2017 because he had a good manifesto and I believed he would implement the referendum. The problem is when you have a leader keeping his gob shut on his opinion saying I’m neutral yet everyone around him telling the public stuff like “they don’t know what they were voting for” and making something stupid like remain vs practically remain it matters very little on the leader type

Dianne abbot gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Dianne abbot gets my vote.
    She should be a shoe in 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I don’t think that’s true at all I voted corbyn in 2017 because he had a good manifesto and I believed he would implement the referendum. The problem is when you have a leader keeping his gob shut on his opinion saying I’m neutral yet everyone around him telling the public stuff like “they don’t know what they were voting for” and making something stupid like remain vs practically remain it matters very little on the leader type
    Well modern political history says that if you look like a tory , speak like one and have tory light policies you win 3 General Elections .

The UK is a tory country so I suppose electorally it makes sense , something slightly less sinister than a tory government .

That's not for me either in all honesty , tried that recipe before and wasn't sold on the taste .

Ill stick to being a dinosaur and irrelevant thanks .

I wondered today how Blair would have approached these last few years in opposition .
    He was massively Pro EU , what would he have done ?
    How would he have positioned the party ? , maybe he would have got a tonking last night too .
    Blair would have gone for a second referendum, he wouldn’t have gone for a radical manifesto in attempt to overturn Capitalism. He also had the Labour Party united despite the left wing waiting in the background.

Blair was a pragmatist and set about a new era of politics where squabbles were put to one side and he wanted to create a more equal country. He could have done better but he didn’t make things worse.
    I don’t reckon Blair was as far right or a neoliberal as the far left make out.

He may have lost this election although I doubt he would have got a tonking.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Blair would have gone for a second referendum, he wouldn’t have gone for a radical manifesto in attempt to overturn Capitalism. He also had the Labour Party united despite the left wing waiting in the background.

Blair was a pragmatist and set about a new era of politics where squabbles were put to one side and he wanted to create a more equal country. He could have done better but he didn’t make things worse.
    I don’t reckon Blair was as far right or a neoliberal as the far left make out.

He may have lost this election although I doubt he would have got a tonking.
    That's as maybe Frank and I respect your view but he never solved the problem up here post heavy industrial era other than throw benefits around like confetti .

Undermined every working man who was prepared to go out and graft around here .

That ain't looking after the heartlands that's making it worse .

No fecking wonder he needed half of eastern europe here to help run the economy .

That's as maybe Frank and I respect your view but he never solved the problem up here post heavy industrial era other than throw benefits around like confetti .

Undermined every working man who was prepared to go out and graft around here .

That ain't looking after the heartlands that's making it worse .

No fecking wonder he needed half of eastern europe here to help run the economy .
    Tax credits were aimed at getting more people dependent on the state and thus more likely to vote Labour.

I admit I'm a minority but while I'm breathing I still think it's a bit of a fecker when a Labour Leader has to look like a Tory , speak like a Tory and have Tory light policies to attract middle England to gain entry in to Downing Street .

It's quite possible I won't ever vote again which isn't exactly going to hurt any party in the future but clearly I have no political home and I don't see that changing .

The party isn't going to stay left leaning after this debacle and I ain't selling out either .
    Why do you need a political home though? When I was younger I voted labour. After Blair helped ruin our town I lost faith. If in the future there is a labour party who I think are the best option then I would vote for them.

I always thought Caroline Flint talked sense like others on here have and it's a shame she lost out. I would rather Flint be an MP than Healey.

By the way (not a question to you animal), is John Healey having that big house built on Bawtry Road (between Wickersley school and the library)?

Well modern political history says that if you look like a tory , speak like one and have tory light policies you win 3 General Elections .

The UK is a tory country so I suppose electorally it makes sense , something slightly less sinister than a tory government .

That's not for me either in all honesty , tried that recipe before and wasn't sold on the taste .

Ill stick to being a dinosaur and irrelevant thanks .
    Again I don’t think that’s true at all animal I think the fact that Tory’s won 3 elections was because of the other side being better than labour at the time.

Let’s look at past 4 elections

Brown had the country dump on him after Blair and never got a chance to fix things, but the country was in such a mess that people had run out of patience and the most common thought at the time we need a business man to fix this. Huge mistake in my opinion

Miliband had got the leadership after backstabbing his own brother, people do not like back stabbers look at gove people turned on him the same way as milliband, add that promise of a referendum on Eu to the mix and the mood shifted to Tory’s more.

Corbyn 2017

Corbyn was a strong contender first time around he was opinionated no nonsense left wing reformist people liked that, that’s why he got so many seats back from miliband, he lost votes on security issues and his life time on being a overseas diplomat would be great as a foreign secretary but a prime minister needs to look after his people and people didn’t think he would look after them at the time especially after so many terrorist attacks and his weak diplomatic response. Also his manefesto was a bit too unbelievable due to austerity people thought we was as broke as Cuba.

Corbyn 2019

They basically didn’t learn a bloody thing from 2017 instead they made it a bigger manifesto and what’s worse they kept adding new things it was like a advent calendar, corbyn was nowhere near as strong as he was in 2017 he was he surrounded himself with remoaners in his front bench and declared himself neutral then added a policy of a second referendum With remain vs practically remain it was suicidal in England and alienated many in the north, by them making it about party over country for three years. However boris came across as democratic let’s get it done and cherry picked some of corbyns ideas and matched it with his own spin on it.

If you ask me I think I would have kept to the referendum result and put across the message Tory’s can’t get it done in 3 years vote labour for a competent government who will bring order to chaos. Instead they got caught in the London bubble and made bad choices because of it

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Why do you need a political home though? When I was younger I voted labour. After Blair helped ruin our town I lost faith. If in the future there is a labour party who I think are the best option then I would vote for them.

I always thought Caroline Flint talked sense like others on here have and it's a shame she lost out. I would rather Flint be an MP than Healey.

By the way (not a question to you animal), is John Healey having that big house built on Bawtry Road (between Wickersley school and the library)?
    Because I won't betray my working class roots and this world ain't all about plush boardrooms and portfolios and never will be .

At the end of the day nowt gets done without the lads n lasses on the shop floor and no fecker creates wealth without em either .

Corbyn maybe many things but I understood the narrative .

When capitalism is the tide that raises all ships feel free to give me a shout and I might have a rethink .

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast