+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Second referendum

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    My wife as been asked to work overtime recently, not something she likes doing but she would never say no when needs must. They have 4 nurses of sick on her ward, none of them are from the UK.
    That post made sense to me until the last few words, because non-UK labour throwing a sickie is the exact opposite of my experience. The last place I worked at employed a large number of Polish workers. I knew the HR bloke so I asked him why and he told me the owner of the company actively encouraged it. The reason was because they worked harder, and had much better timekeeping and attendance records than the locals. I also have a sister-in-law who is with a bloke who is a land worker picking vegetables in Lincolnshire, and he said he used to be one of the best workers in the fields. Since his company recruited a lot of migrant labour he says he's had to up his game quite a bit to look good. His words describing his migrant workmates were "they don't half bloody work". I know this doesn't fit in with the beloved right wing 'benefit scrounging migrant' culture, but it's the truth.

Back to the NHS then, and here's my story. My youngest daughter is in her second year at uni training to be a nurse. Last week she had a placement on a ward at City Hospital doing three night shifts starting at 7pm and finishing at 7:30am. On her first night, a healthcare assistant had phoned in sick (can't think why, but I didn't ask their ethnic origin). Because she is dedicated and aware of how the NHS works, she mucked in (literally) and helped the team provide the service we expect. Instead of shadowing a qualified nurse as the placement said she should, she spent the shift basically wiping arses and cleaning up vomit. How much do you think her hourly rate was for doing this 12.5 hour night shift? Minimum wage? No, she didn't get a single penny because this was part of the 'education' she is paying £9,000 per year to get. She even had to pay to park!!! I know Soccerman's comment to her would be "suck it up loser, our boys won", but I would hope he is in a very small minority. That's why I posted the most recent performance figures for the NHS. Any decent civilised country would see it as an outrage, but apparently not here. Boris has promised to "get Brexit done", so who gives a f@ck about the state of the NHS?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That post made sense to me until the last few words, because non-UK labour throwing a sickie is the exact opposite of my experience. The last place I worked at employed a large number of Polish workers. I knew the HR bloke so I asked him why and he told me the owner of the company actively encouraged it. The reason was because they worked harder, and had much better timekeeping and attendance records than the locals. I also have a sister-in-law who is with a bloke who is a land worker picking vegetables in Lincolnshire, and he said he used to be one of the best workers in the fields. Since his company recruited a lot of migrant labour he says he's had to up his game quite a bit to look good. His words describing his migrant workmates were "they don't half bloody work". I know this doesn't fit in with the beloved right wing 'benefit scrounging migrant' culture, but it's the truth.

Back to the NHS then, and here's my story. My youngest daughter is in her second year at uni training to be a nurse. Last week she had a placement on a ward at City Hospital doing three night shifts starting at 7pm and finishing at 7:30am. On her first night, a healthcare assistant had phoned in sick (can't think why, but I didn't ask their ethnic origin). Because she is dedicated and aware of how the NHS works, she mucked in (literally) and helped the team provide the service we expect. Instead of shadowing a qualified nurse as the placement said she should, she spent the shift basically wiping arses and cleaning up vomit. How much do you think her hourly rate was for doing this 12.5 hour night shift? Minimum wage? No, she didn't get a single penny because this was part of the 'education' she is paying £9,000 per year to get. She even had to pay to park!!! I know Soccerman's comment to her would be "suck it up loser, our boys won", but I would hope he is in a very small minority. That's why I posted the most recent performance figures for the NHS. Any decent civilised country would see it as an outrage, but apparently not here. Boris has promised to "get Brexit done", so who gives a f@ck about the state of the NHS?
    A previous boss of mine, a bit older than me but a very fit and active man started to feel a bit unwell and uncommonly out of breath and his wife insisted he saw a doctor who referred him to hospital, down south this is, and he was immediately admitted and given a quadruple (yes 4) by-pass. This was in the summer, he's starting to play a bit of table tennis as a precursor to county level tennis, going to his daughter's in France for Xmas and feeling very grateful for an excellent NHS service. Just saying.

Is there even a mechanism for the NHS to pay a uni trainee? And has she actually paid out £9,000, or when is the schedule by which it will be deemed due? Just asking.

Why? Have a read of this - it's not propaganda, it's what's actually happened to the NHS after a decade of Tory rule:

Every major A&E unit in England has failed to hit its four-hour waiting time target for the first time, NHS figures show.

All 118 units fell below the 95% threshold in November as the NHS posted its worst performance since targets were introduced more than a decade ago.

Alongside the growing waits in A&E, the data showed there were record delays finding beds for the sickest patients.

The numbers on waiting lists for routine care also hit an all-time high.

Even though the bar is now set at a disgracefully low level, do you really trust Boris Johnson to make the big improvements he's promised?
    I have no need to read it I have been waiting for a back injection for a year now so I agree with you.
    By the way I didn't vote for Boris. Is your post aimed at the right person? I was replying to anticlough who was moaning about not having proportional representation.
    Last edited by i961pie; 13-12-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    And has she actually paid out £9,000, or when is the schedule by which it will be deemed due? Just asking.
    She has taken out a student loan for £27,000 to cover her tuition fees for the three year course. Like all students, she will have to repay that on a 'how much you earn' basis. This is exactly the same as someone who studies such worthwhile degree courses as theatrical arts and computer games design for example. It didn't used to be like this, because my middle daughter studied to be an occupational therapist on an NHS bursary, which covered all her tuition fees. She is now qualified and working for the NHS, and the student loan she is now repaying is just for living expenses while studying away. Just after she qualified, the Tories stopped NHS bursaries. Replacing them is one of the big election promises Boris has made, but just like replacing the 20,000 police officers his party got rid of, it's merely righting a wrong.

She has taken out a student loan for £27,000 to cover her tuition fees for the three year course. Like all students, she will have to repay that on a 'how much you earn' basis. This is exactly the same as someone who studies such worthwhile degree courses as theatrical arts and computer games design for example. It didn't used to be like this, because my middle daughter studied to be an occupational therapist on an NHS bursary, which covered all her tuition fees. She is now qualified and working for the NHS, and the student loan she is now repaying is just for living expenses while studying away. Just after she qualified, the Tories stopped NHS bursaries. Replacing them is one of the big election promises Boris has made, but just like replacing the 20,000 police officers his party got rid of, it's merely righting a wrong.
    It is. Now he must deliver.

All this talk of 20,000 new police officers will make the streets safe implies that the streets aren't safe because we are short of police! The reason - Tory cuts. An admission that you've got it wrong became a good reason to vote for them! Same with the NHS.

No, I am not a lefty, I trust Boris less than Corbyn personally but trust Labour less than the Tories with the country.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Rearrange this well known saying--- at straws clutching
    Only have to rearrange the letters - UR A TWIT (not much I can do with the STCLCHNG but I've got an idea for the A )

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Me also ...And if the Scots want Independence, let them have it and then take away the NHS and other freebies that they currently enjoy.. Mrs Krankie will then not be so popular..
    This is going to get nasty.
    Cameron took the risk in 2014 confident enough that it wouldn't happen. Now that moment has passed, the scots would vote to go and the UK establishment will resist it just like Spain resists its territory being broken up by Catalan and Pais Vasco separatism.
    I think we can expect a tumultuous few years in Scotland - with a mix of a Pfeffel charm offensive and the full weight of the tory media attacking the nationalists.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 14-12-2019 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’m really really sure you did say the thing about believing enough.

As I’ve put on here before, (you may have missed it being on your other websites) I’ve personally heard anti-semitism on the left and challenged it myself when no one else did. You see I actually really don’t like racism as opposed to pretending not to like it for political gain. If you think Johnson is in anyway a fit person to be PM fair enough but please, save me the righteousness.

The Brexit war is lost, and it’s up to the people who demanded it to make a success of it like they promised. Good luck with that.
    I bet you gave them what for.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Perhaps now, Labour will get rid of the looney lefties and get back to being the party that can provide good opposition to the government in parliament. It seems some good can be derived from this result after all.
    Unfortunately though there seems nobody left at the heart of the Labour Party who can achieve this. The party and membership has been taken over by the left who, on yesterday’s post election analysis, fail miserably to see that the leadership did anything wrong during the election. They concluded that the only difference between 2019 and 2017 was the Brexit issue but they also forget that last time Mr Corbyn was up against a tepid Tory leader whilst this time he was up against a far more ebullient opponent. Much as I do not trust “white noise” Boris I fully understand those who preferred him to any of the other party leaders on offer.

My fear is that the Labour Party maybe finished as a party who can govern and they have clearly showed over the last 5 years they are not fit to be proper opposition either.

Why? Have a read of this - it's not propaganda, it's what's actually happened to the NHS after a decade of Tory rule:

Every major A&E unit in England has failed to hit its four-hour waiting time target for the first time, NHS figures show.

All 118 units fell below the 95% threshold in November as the NHS posted its worst performance since targets were introduced more than a decade ago.

Alongside the growing waits in A&E, the data showed there were record delays finding beds for the sickest patients.

The numbers on waiting lists for routine care also hit an all-time high.

Even though the bar is now set at a disgracefully low level, do you really trust Boris Johnson to make the big improvements he's promised?
    After working 43 years in both the English and Scottish NHS my good lady is retiring worn out by trying to implement proper care to the people who really matter, namely, the patients. Pressure from well paid people above who only care about targets have taken their toll. I have joked about her returning to work in the NHS again in the light of Boris’s hope to persuade nurses, such as her, from retiring but I think the chances of that happening for my wife are around nil.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast