+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Second referendum

O/T:- Second referendum

This election was called the 'brexit election' so does this mean that those claiming the country had changed it's mind about leaving the EU and were wanting a second referendum got it very wrong?
    Especially when the party whose soul aim was to stop brexit even lost it's leader.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 13-12-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added omitted O.T. prefix

Not sure that they got it very wrong.

Clearly many voted for Conservative because of Brexit, so they had their normal voters and the extras. Corbyn is a major factor too.

I do think that if there was a second referendum, leave would have won.

I am a bit fed up with the commentators saying that it wasn't really about Brexit when the Tories had the 'Get Brexit done' as their headline.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Not sure that they got it very wrong.

Clearly many voted for Conservative because of Brexit, so they had their normal voters and the extras. Corbyn is a major factor too.

I do think that if there was a second referendum, leave would have won.

I am a bit fed up with the commentators saying that it wasn't really about Brexit when the Tories had the 'Get Brexit done' as their headline.
    It was and it wasn’t about Brexit imho.

It was about getting Brexit done with, but not necessarily about leaving the EU.

Make no mistake, it was also about Corbyn and his lack of understanding of the British electorate (said to be his strength)

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    This election was called the 'brexit election' so does this mean that those claiming the country had changed it's mind about leaving the EU and were wanting a second referendum got it very wrong?
    Especially when the party whose soul aim was to stop brexit even lost it's leader.
    As a leaver, I have had three years of hearing the lying mantra of 'the people have changed their mind' and 'all the polls are for remain' trotted out as if they were true and as if it made a difference to the result of the referendum. Every leave voter has been vindicated in this election and the big winner was democracy. Three years, Remainers have obfuscated, obstructed and hindered the democratic process and have cost this Country a fortune trying to undermine the democratic vote. Again, the democratic vote has exposed the remain conspiracy and many of those in parliament who participated in this charade have received their due. The Conservative Party had already rid itself of some of the dross and the people have taken care of many more. Brexiteers can hold their head up high as they have stood firm against a tide of lying treachery and have persevered despite the lies, despite the abuse and tonight they received their reward.

I think you would need to look at the total votes rather than seats won to make any judgements about that but it certainly puts the issue to bed on a practical level.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    As a leaver, I have had three years of hearing the lying mantra of 'the people have changed their mind' and 'all the polls are for remain' trotted out as if they were true and as if it made a difference to the result of the referendum. Every leave voter has been vindicated in this election and the big winner was democracy. Three years, Remainers have obfuscated, obstructed and hindered the democratic process and have cost this Country a fortune trying to undermine the democratic vote. Again, the democratic vote has exposed the remain conspiracy and many of those in parliament who participated in this charade have received their due. The Conservative Party had already rid itself of some of the dross and the people have taken care of many more. Brexiteers can hold their head up high as they have stood firm against a tide of lying treachery and have persevered despite the lies, despite the abuse and tonight they received their reward.

This^^^

Brexit election, certainly, but as much as it was about that, it was also about stopping a Corbyn Gov at all costs. It amazes me that people inside the Corbyn bubble could not see how toxic Corbyn/McDonnell/Momentum have become. The Labour Party truly have become the nasty party imo, sadly.

Corbyn was a big factor imo but it will be interesting what boris comes up with as a deal. Which is not what was voted for in the first place so democracy will not be upheld anyway

Clearly the majority voted against get brexit done, with the conservatives getting around 43 % of the votes cast, some democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    This^^^

Brexit election, certainly, but as much as it was about that, it was also about stopping a Corbyn Gov at all costs. It amazes me that people inside the Corbyn bubble could not see how toxic Corbyn/McDonnell/Momentum have become. The Labour Party truly have become the nasty party imo, sadly.
    I mainly spend my time on other political sites now as Mad seemed to be going nowhere with discussion. I looked in every now and again but it was mainly the same people saying the same things. I agree with you Gumpy. This Labour regime under Corbyn has become like the BNP of the 70s, in fact probably worse. At least with the BNP they were very open about their agenda. This Labour manifestation hid behind a very thin veil of the historical Labour name, but at its heart is a very sinister movement. A whited sepulchre, nicely painted on the outside but full of rotting corpses inside. You don't have to scratch the surface much to see its true nature.

... the proverbial momentum wolf in labour sheep's clothing ...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast