+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Defence

Our Defence

The back 4 looked poor again. Townsend is the poorer option over Furlong (with Fergie R/B swap) Fergie himself has produced a couple of poor back to back performances. Hegazi must be ready for a start in place of Bartley. Johnno again made a couple of match winning saves following a questionable effort allowing their 2nd goal.
    However, all in all another somewhat scrambled 3 points!
    But I would rest easier if we weren’t having to come from behind so many times.

The team v Swansea was the best Prando, then we lose Gibbs....now Diangana. We have to replace like for like to be as good.

Indeed boingy buddy. Given the Gibbo injury, Townsend would be my 2nd option as mentioned above.
    Notwithstanding, we look very suspect at set pieces. Both the Nose’ goals coming from our fullbacks being ‘out headed’. Marking poor. Presumably this ‘zonal’ nonsense.
    None of our 3 centre backs have shown any long term confidence and consistency. AJ is/should be the main man and needs to make his presence felt.
    Still 3 points so remaining positive (well sort of)
    COYB

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    The back 4 looked poor again. Townsend is the poorer option over Furlong (with Fergie R/B swap) Fergie himself has produced a couple of poor back to back performances. Hegazi must be ready for a start in place of Bartley. Johnno again made a couple of match winning saves following a questionable effort allowing their 2nd goal.
    However, all in all another somewhat scrambled 3 points!
    But I would rest easier if we weren’t having to come from behind so many times.
    Was Ajayi not part of today's defence that struggled to cope with their 2 big strikers and part of a team that played so poorly in midweek? none of the defence can take any credit for today, it seems to take Townsend 2 or 3 games to get his confidence when he comes back into the team.

Ajayi has been great all season, the main stays are going to be worn out sometimes, they don't get a rest.

I think that we've been under par in our last two games. Having said this, four away points is nothing to be sniffed at. We are vulnerable on corners though and have been all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I think that we've been under par in our last two games. Having said this, four away points is nothing to be sniffed at. We are vulnerable on corners though and have been all season.
    All the more surprising, considering that Bilic himself was a defender......
    But I believe LB, you are correct...we have played quite poorly in the last two away games and yet got 4 points...
    That shows resilience yet again...

It is so easy to blame Ajayi and Bartley for two goals being conceded at set pieces but the problem for me is that we don’t have an abundance of tall players who can defend set pieces when the opposition bring up tall defenders as well as their forwards. Townsend was about 6 inches shorter than the guy he got isolated against for the second and Ferguson was no match for their forward for the first. Our two central defenders can’t mark everyone.

When our forwards come back for corners none are tall enough or aggressive enough to make a difference and neither are our 3 advanced midfielders. Livermore and Sawyers are playing well but neither are particularly great at defending corners either, so we are left with two shortish full backs to help Ajayi and Bartley.

It is the same in reverse when we have set pieces. We get great delivery especially from Pereira, which helps enormously, but there are only really Ajayi and Bartley to aim at. They are usually the only ones getting on corners and set pieces with some help at times from Austin and Robson-Kanu, but more often on the second ball.

I think it is just weight of numbers at times and when the opposition put in great delivery then we will struggle.

Totally agree Yarm and the worrying thing is that every team in the division knows it as well. We can expect a lot of high balls pumped into our box from the opposition in every game now. I do wish that Johnstone would help out his back four at these situations rather than quivering on his line like he does. Goalkeepers are a protected species these days so he should have nothing to fear.

Every team in the division knows what our weakness is but most of them are to worried about our strength's to take advantage there aren't many goalkeepers now that command their areas and none of them seem to try and catch the ball it's all down to the way they are now coached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)