+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Southend United Post Match Thoughts

Watched the live broadcast... there are some things that are obviously wrong at the moment...
    Olosunde can't defend, even against the worst team in this league - we need a proper right back
    Mattock takes throw-ins and often throws the ball straight to an opposition player. Didn't happen under Steve Evans, but happens now.
    We won hardly anything in the air, in defence or up front.
    Standard of passing was awful.
    Bringing all the team back into our own penalty are to defend free kicks/corners (against weakest team in the league today), so when we got possession there was nobody to pass to. Ball pinging around like a pinball in our own crowded penalty area led to their penalty too! Dimwitted tactic, but we continue doing it. If we put Freddie , Hastie or Ogbene on the half way line, the opposition would have to keep TWO players back ! Unbelievably poor tactics from Warney, but seems unlikely to get changed.
    Too many stupid needless bookings,
    Waited too late to bring on just the one sub

Positive note - Freddie looked sharp and would have probably have scored more if we had played the ball to his FEET! (How many more times do we need to tell Warney that?)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 14-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Watched the live broadcast... there are some things that are obviously wrong at the moment...
    Olosunde can't defend, even against the worst team in this league - we need a proper right back
    Mattock takes throw-ins and often throws the ball straight to an opposition player. Didn't happen under Steve Evans, but happens now.
    We won hardly anything in the air, in defence or up front.
    Standard of passing was awful.
    Bringing all the team back into our own penalty are to defend free kicks/corners (against weakest team in the league today), so when we got possession there was nobody to pass to. Ball pinging around like a pinball in our own crowded penalty area led to their penalty too! Dimwitted tactic, but we continue doing it. If we put Freddie , Hastie or Ogbene on the half way line, the opposition would have to keep TWO players back ! Unbelievably poor tactics from Warney, but seems unlikely to get changed.
    Too many stupid needless bookings,
    Waited too late to bring on just the one sub

Positive note - Freddie looked sharp and would have probably have scored more if we had played the ball to his FEET! (How many more times do we need to tell Warney that?)
    We are always going to pick faults but yes Roly I agree that our tactics are awful at times. I honestly don’t think Warney has seen much football has a fan, I also wonder what he was watching under other managers when he was coach
    Come me Warney now get the basics sorted ffs

Yesterday was a terrible standard of football.
    I had an argument with a supporter who was abusing Warne there is just no need for it.

Don’t get me wrong I genuinely don’t know what style of play or tactics you would associate with us.
    Olusande seems to have gone backwards.
    We just don’t look like a very good team.
    The Southend fans after the game thought we looked like a average league 1 team.

Ladapo will score if we supply him to feet and not in the air or just a hopeful ball to him.
    I can’t see up going up this season the players are good enough but imo the tactics style of play isn’t.

Come on Yak, we've not played well, no consistency, took a point and moved up two places.Accrington hammered Portsmouth, Sunderland struggled at home for a point, Peterborough who are scoring goals for fun could only beat lowly Bolton 1-0.
    We're 6th in the table in an average League 1 and in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. He's talking about bringing a striker and winger to the squad in January which COULD mean two are on their way out.
    We could have played more to our wide men yesterday but it looked like we were trying to get the ball forward quicker, even though we didn't win too much in the air.
    Southend dug in and defended well.
    It could have been worse, we could have lost.
    Has Pocket lost the faith as well ?

EDIT : Crooks and Lindsay were unavailable as well.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 15-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/new...rham-reaction/

Sol Campbell's version of how the game went yesterday.

Stats say we...
    1. Had slightly more possession
    2. More shots
    3. More shots on target.
    4. Almost three times as many corners.

EDIT : Daniel Iverson had very little to do that first half. The penalty changed the game.

It's a marathon not a Sprint.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 15-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_D View Post
    He did well to get us up, we had a great day out at Wembley. We went down last year with the lowest budget but came close. We have managed to stay financially stable.

We are sixth, still in with a great chance of promotion. He is learning on the job; he's only been manager for two and half years or so. We have no God given right to be in the top two.

And as clubs bigger than us, like Ipswich, Sunderland and Portsmouth have shown, it is not that easy.

There's far too many fans nowadays who want everything now and have no patience. Much like our consumer driven society. Social media has such an influence and all you read is morons spouting off about get rid of the manager. Always thinking the grass is greener elsewhere.
    . Totally agree with all the above.

C64F - overall stats hide a poor first half from us, even though we were one up. We did actually play better second half after we had conceded two sloppy goals, especially the last ten minutes when it was, er.... too late. It's the defence that's looking threadbare to me, not the attack. Also need a Vaulks style midfielder. We've got Yates, Kayode and Proctor out on loan, although Proctor only seems to be fit enough for a timewasting late substitiution for Scunny now. Always a bit of a worry that players who Warney puts on the bench are not actually fit enough to play. (only one sub used yesterday could be a clue ) If they are fit, presumably MacDonald, Vassell, and Clarke will get a game for the Reserves on Tuesday? I won't hold my breath though...
    Last edited by mikemiller; 15-12-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Come on Yak, we've not played well, no consistency, took a point and moved up two places.Accrington hammered Portsmouth, Sunderland struggled at home for a point, Peterborough who are scoring goals for fun could only beat lowly Bolton 1-0.
    We're 6th in the table in an average League 1 and in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. He's talking about bringing a striker and winger to the squad in January which COULD mean two are on their way out.
    We could have played more to our wide men yesterday but it looked like we were trying to get the ball forward quicker, even though we didn't win too much in the air.

Erm come on frank, Warne and staff have been in charge long enough now, they have fetched their players in (good ones) but they do not know their best side, formation, basic tactics.
    Time to take a good look at the games via video and just see the basic errors we make time and time again.
    Yes we have to also blame players when but that’s also down to management to sort out.

Seriously we could fetch a top striker in and still get it wrong (probably play him on wing)

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post

Fair points Casper.
    I just think we should be playing better tbh.
    It’s a terrible standard and I’m not convinced we’re playing to our strengths consistently.
    Disjointed at times predictable at times good at others.
    Pocket still thinks we’re going up pal.
    He’s convinced Warne is the long term man for the job without question.
    When is he ever wrong? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    It's the defence that's looking threadbare to me, not the attack. Also need a Vaulks style midfielder. We've got Yates Kayode and Proctor out on loan, although Proctor only seems to be fit enough for a timewasting late substitiution for Scunny now. Always a bit of a worry that players who Warney puts on the bench are not actually fit enough to play. (only one sub used yesterday could be a clue ) If they are fit, presumably MacDonald, Vassell, and Clarke will get a game for the Reserves on Tuesday? I won't hold my breath though...
    Even if the subs yesterday were fit I didn't see where any of them that may have changed the game. That could be a reason he only made one change.
    Hastie and Ogbene had a good last twenty minutes and their goalkeeper saved them right at the death.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast