+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we at risk of losing interest?

Are we at risk of losing interest?

One thing that has struck me recently is the level of apathy among some fans, including myself. I didn't even know we had an early kick on Saturday, nor did any of my Notts-supporting friends. I tuned into the first half because I had nothing better to do, but then turned it off at half time to watch Peppa Pig with my son instead (much more entertaining!). My Dad, who is in his 70s and has supported Notts his whole life, reluctantly got a season ticket in the summer, but I've never heard him sound so disengaged as this season.

It's like people are slowly losing interest. Don't get me wrong, I still care and always will, and if I lived in Nottingham I'd be a season-ticket holder, but how long until people start to drift away from the club? Apathy among a fan base is a terrible sign for a club - way worse than anger.

This is why we either need to start winning and playing well or get a new manager in. It's not just the results, but the style of football sounds shocking. The one game I saw this season (Barrow at home) was probably the worst I've ever seen. But what do you expect when we still have the manager that relegated us?

I don't necessarily fear another relegation battle - I think we have enough quality in the squad to avoid that, despite the manager's negativity. What I fear is crowds of 3000 becoming normal, an empty stadium with no atmosphere, people just giving up. But that is exactly what will happen if nothing changes. After last season, we desperately need someone who can inspire a bit of passion and fight in the team and give us forward momentum. I have no reason to think Ardley is that man.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    One thing that has struck me recently is the level of apathy among some fans, including myself. I didn't even know we had an early kick on Saturday, nor did any of my Notts-supporting friends. I tuned into the first half because I had nothing better to do, but then turned it off at half time to watch Peppa Pig with my son instead (much more entertaining!). My Dad, who is in his 70s and has supported Notts his whole life, reluctantly got a season ticket in the summer, but I've never heard him sound so disengaged as this season.

It's like people are slowly losing interest. Don't get me wrong, I still care and always will, and if I lived in Nottingham I'd be a season-ticket holder, but how long until people start to drift away from the club? Apathy among a fan base is a terrible sign for a club - way worse than anger.

This is why we either need to start winning and playing well or get a new manager in. It's not just the results, but the style of football sounds shocking. The one game I saw this season (Barrow at home) was probably the worst I've ever seen. But what do you expect when we still have the manager that relegated us?

I don't necessarily fear another relegation battle - I think we have enough quality in the squad to avoid that, despite the manager's negativity. What I fear is crowds of 3000 becoming normal, an empty stadium with no atmosphere, people just giving up. But that is exactly what will happen if nothing changes. After last season, we desperately need someone who can inspire a bit of passion and fight in the team and give us forward momentum. I have no reason to think Ardley is that man.
    I agree with you, I didn't renew my season ticket this year because the thought of watching teams like Dover, Boreham Wood etc. didn't excite me much. Having said that I haven't missed an home game but watching us is getting boring so I can understand fans if they start to drift away.

I think this is a very fair point to make. Without a doubt people will start to lose interest. I know people who have been lifelong fans and season ticket holders who didn't renew for this season and probably feel justified in that decision right now.

I don't do away travel but I am a season ticket holder and regardless of how sh1t we are I still get a buzz on a saturday morning when I have a game to go to and get really peed off if something gets in the way of that.

How many ST holders do we have? I'm guessing 2500+. It won't take much for the pay on the day sales to start dwindling. We appear to be very lucky in the new owners and their professional and measured approach, we must hope that they are aware of this and at some point will have to stick a flag in the ground because if we are not back in the league in the next couple of years things will become much harder for them.

That said, me personally, I'm not losing interest, just becoming a little frustrated.

Good post Slack. Yeah I didn’t know about the early kick off on Saturday either. Me and my lad had been very enthusiastic, if slightly sceptical about Ardley. Unfortunately the last two games we’ve been to have been Chesterfield in the league and Barrow. Chesterfield was just one of the games, but Barrow was completely appalling. He was saying he was cold, the game was dire and we left early. We’ve not won since.

I’ll come down Boxing Day, but without much enthusiasm. We don’t know much about the new owners, and no idea whether they’re sackers or not. Like a lot of fans, maybe they want managerial stability, and are determined to give Ardley until the end of the season. If they are, and we’re floating around mid table or even lower, they risk losing a lot of support.

I wouldn't say I'm losing interest but I'm finding it extremely hard going at the moment. Boreham Wood on a dark and dank November night was really tough and drawing against a very poor Sutton side, depressing. Going to Chesterfield on Saturday and seeing them play like that didn't exactly help my mood either.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    How many ST holders do we have? I'm guessing 2500+
    Sounds about right. But if things don't improve, how many will we realistically sell next summer? I think we'll easily top the attendance tables this season (not exactly hard, is it), but next season I can see the attendances being way down - unless fans have something to get excited about between now and then.

Blimey there's a lot of Ardleys on here, it's enough to slit your wrists

Sounds about right. But if things don't improve, how many will we realistically sell next summer? I think we'll easily top the attendance tables this season (not exactly hard, is it), but next season I can see the attendances being way down - unless fans have something to get excited about between now and then.
    Half a dozen or so games ago we looked as if we were really on the up and getting to grips with this division. Since then, ptfff, back to normal. Hardly inspiring stuff is it? Simply not good enough from players and management. Improvement needed or attns will drop like a stone.

Absolutely mate, I didn't even know we kicked off early on Saturday. Tuned in and the Forest game was on! After over 40 years a supporter I've pretty much lost interest. We have a squad that should be sitting near the top yet Ardley has made them into a mid-bottom team with his negative style of play and only picking "his" players week in week out!!

This is surely natural. An unexpected disastrous relegation will always have a detrimental effect on the supporters belief and level of interest. Combine that with the thought of playing non league football for the first time with reduced attendances and playing small non league teams is going to be the final straw for some.

Tbh the attendances have been far higher than I imagined based on the above NCFC scenario, very impressive from the supporters.

Once here in NL, again, naturally a poor run,.which was always expected, is going to have the same effect.

The original post says nothing wrong IMO, it's all make sense but it's all to be expected and natural in this scenario.

As for not knowing about the early kick off, that was down to it being an almost meaningless non league cup competition. If that was Chesterfield away in the league at 1pm virtually everyone would of been aware. I don't put that down to general interest at all.

As for the style, as others have said it's all about results. If we had exactly the same results and played long direct style getting the ball forward to a big man at every opportunity and predominantly bypassing midfield the moans would be almost identical.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast