+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rams truly a joy to watch

Rams truly a joy to watch

The 23s that is. Skilful, speedy, organised, they fight, they battle, they score, they defend, they work for each other, very fast in attack.....

First goal a 35 yard run by Sibley who then shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner on the half hour.

60th minute Saints equaliser, attempted clearance hits a teammate and the striker puts it away.

1 minute later it's 2-1. 10 minutes later it's 2-2. 1 minute later it's 3-2 and then 4-2 in the 93rd.

Goals from Sibley 2, Whittaker and Shonibare. Two assists for Babos.

This team has all the things the 1st XI is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The 23s that is. Skilful, speedy, organised, they fight, they battle, they score, they defend, they work for each other, very fast in attack.....

First goal a 35 yard run by Sibley who then shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner on the half hour.

60th minute Saints equaliser, attempted clearance hits a teammate and the striker puts it away.

1 minute later it's 2-1. 10 minutes later it's 2-2. 1 minute later it's 3-2 and then 4-2 in the 93rd.

Goals from Sibley 2, Whittaker and Shonibare. Two assists for Babos.

This team has all the things the 1st XI is missing.
    Interesting and good to hear.

I have pointed out before that Darren Wassall has one of the best win ratios and PPG records of any Derby manager but apparently, according to some, he’s not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Interesting and good to hear.

I have pointed out before that Darren Wassall has one of the best win ratios and PPG records of any Derby manager but apparently, according to some, he’s not very good.

If he was any good he would have been appointed manager. QED

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    If he was any good he would have been appointed manager. QED
    Right...’cos we never make mistakes as far as appointments go do we?

If it hadn’t been for the Shackell fiasco - I know which one of the two I believe has done more for Derby - and that horrible home first leg playoff against Hull he probably would have been.

Only McClaren Mk1 has a better record in recent years than DW and he did take over at a particularly difficult time.

I thought you were going around the twist until I saw U23s

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    I thought you were going around the twist until I saw U23s
    Trap laid and someone fell into it. Thanks OTR.

The U23s play the way the first team should.........

Using some of my internal knowledge, at the time in question, he was always an interim appointment. He got us into the playoffs but, certainly back then, he was better with the young uns than with the seniors. When the season ended he threw his hat into the ring for the top job. He didn't get it. The why thereof was explained and he was happy with the explanation given. He resumed his previous role with the Academy. Since then the youth results have been getting better. Slowly but surely he got recruitment right, aided and abetted by MM pouring millions into Moor Farm to make it in the top ten worldwide.

2 years ago the U23s escaped relegation on the last day beating Chelsea 2-0. Last season they were, I believe 6th. This season at the Christmas break they get, they are top, 1 point ahead of Chelsea who have a game in hand.

U18s were Champions of England last season. This season they have reached the knockout stages of the U19 "Champions League" and meet Borussia Dortmund at Pride Park in the next round.

Of all the decisions on recruitment made in the past 5 or 6 years, persuading DW to stay at the Academy is probably the best of them all.

It might now be the case that, as and when Cocu goes, as he will within the next 5 years (Dutch coaching philosophy is never more than 3 or 4 years with one club but he might look at a slightly longer term due to the task he has been given with the youth), I think it would be no bad idea to promote from within and then continue to do it that way. Continuity is the way. Look at how it worked for Liverpool from the 60s to 1990 promoting from the bootroom when a change was needed. OK, since then 30 years without a League title but they have still been Champions of Europe in 2005 and 2019 in that time. It ought to work for us as well, provided someone has the sense to start doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Using some of my internal knowledge, at the time in question, he was always an interim appointment. He got us into the playoffs but, certainly back then, he was better with the young uns than with the seniors. When the season ended he threw his hat into the ring for the top job. He didn't get it. The why thereof was explained and he was happy with the explanation given. He resumed his previous role with the Academy. Since then the youth results have been getting better. Slowly but surely he got recruitment right, aided and abetted by MM pouring millions into Moor Farm to make it in the top ten worldwide.

2 years ago the U23s escaped relegation on the last day beating Chelsea 2-0. Last season they were, I believe 6th. This season at the Christmas break they get, they are top, 1 point ahead of Chelsea who have a game in hand.

U18s were Champions of England last season. This season they have reached the knockout stages of the U19 "Champions League" and meet Borussia Dortmund at Pride Park in the next round.

Of all the decisions on recruitment made in the past 5 or 6 years, persuading DW to stay at the Academy is probably the best of them all.

It might now be the case that, as and when Cocu goes, as he will within the next 5 years (Dutch coaching philosophy is never more than 3 or 4 years with one club but he might look at a slightly longer term due to the task he has been given with the youth), I think it would be no bad idea to promote from within and then continue to do it that way. Continuity is the way. Look at how it worked for Liverpool from the 60s to 1990 promoting from the bootroom when a change was needed. OK, since then 30 years without a League title but they have still been Champions of Europe in 2005 and 2019 in that time. It ought to work for us as well, provided someone has the sense to start doing just that.
    The Dutch think long term then, 12 months is about average for a manager in England!

Mind you if things don't improve Cocu will be gone before then!

Right...’cos we never make mistakes as far as appointments go do we?

If it hadn’t been for the Shackell fiasco - I know which one of the two I believe has done more for Derby - and that horrible home first leg playoff against Hull he probably would have been.

Only McClaren Mk1 has a better record in recent years than DW and he did take over at a particularly difficult time.
    I bow to your superior football knowledge and understanding as to what makes a good manager, clearly the club needs you on board before deciding who replaces Cocu!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    The Dutch think long term then, 12 months is about average for a manager in England!

Mind you if things don't improve Cocu will be gone before then!
    You may be right as a "vote of confidence" is often the forerunner to the sack, however, MM said in the week that although he'd prefer better results than we have been getting, Cocu's appointment is part of a longer term plan and that isn't about to change (or words to that effect)

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)