+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Salford City prediction

Salford City prediction

We are on a fine run in team performance but Christmas often trips up teams who are doing well. What do the Alex fans think the score will be today. I am going for 2-0 to us

I wouldn't have predicted a 3-1 defeat for a start! Shot ourselves in the feet again. Made a very ordinary side look good at times.
    Some issues: why was Mbulu put up against their nippy number 28?? Once Hunt swapped, it was better. Both Mbulu and Hunt are slow but at least the latter has a bit of nous.
    I'm still wondering about Finney - again got into 2 good positions but was way off with his shooting but did not impact on the game.
    Jonah certainly impacted- some shocking passing including yet another case of passing across the pitch without looking up and giving away possession which, via a corner, led to the goal.
    Apart from one moment Anene was ineffectual and seemed unable to control the ball.
    Charlie.... well, he was just Charlie. I assume he has been told to stop and hold the ball up instead of keeping the ball moving forward.
    Will someone tell Perry to stop trying to be clever, trying to flick the ball off the opponent's shins. He gave away possession, again, by attempting this which then led to their first goal.
    The official site referred to their first goal as a fantastic shot. Well, all I can say is that if I had 10 yards of space in front of me, just outside the box and nobody attempting to charge me down and make me hurry my shot, then maybe I could hit some "fantastic shots".
    Lowery worked very hard but did not really create anything. Wintle had a reasonable game but I'm not quite sure why he put his foot in for the own goal!
    Powell showed up well, especially when switched to the left. Ainley had a couple of runs bit didn't actually hurt the opposition.
    Dale did very little.
    Harry was the only player to come out of the game with any merit.
    4 final things: can we sort out goal kicks; throw-ins and corners. The opposition can score from corners why can't we? Do we actually practise them? The other item= can we have one of the wingers come in off the wings occasionally to support Anene/Porter? There is so much space around the 'number 9' that it pointless aiming the ball at him.

reading the first half of your report it seems as if the players were playing to the managers instructions and not making their own decisions but I feel the whole club under estimated Salford City. They had us sussed out and loosing Nolan did not help before the game. Mbulu was out of his depth in this game and it was no surprise he was taken off at half time but it could have happend 30 minutes earlier Some of out players thought it would be a walk in the park to collect the 3 points but that was not the case. After a halftime chat with the manager our game style changed and it it was not for the opposition goalkeeper we wold have come away with all 3 points he pulle doff 4 great saves .

Salford definitely had us sussed. They put intense pressure on every goal kick (hence my request in previous post) and closed us down very quickly. We were rather static and there was little movement between the lines.