+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Managers 2010-2020

I swore I wouldn't divulge names and more often information , and I will stick to that promise. Plus more pertinently I don't know who you are so I don't benefit at all from disclosing lol.

Whether it was Trew's fault or not it really doesn't matter now. He made many many other mistakes so if you want to blame him for that managerial departure be my guest.

Tbh He would of made a jump to a bigger club like Pompey it was only a matter of time.

I do agree with your view that some of these managers were brought in to help a sinking ship, battle relegation , find a short term fix and that has contributed to the crazy number of managers during this period.

If anyone needs some more convincing as to the need for a more measured medium term approach , just look at that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Right at the death, we have a very, very strong contender in "the most stupid and pointless post of the year" category.
    I guessed your answer loser lol...

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I swore I wouldn't divulge names and more often information , and I will stick to that promise. Plus more pertinently I don't know who you are so I don't benefit at all from disclosing lol.

Whether it was Trew's fault or not it really doesn't matter now. He made many many other mistakes so if you want to blame him for that managerial departure be my guest.

Tbh He would of made a jump to a bigger club like Pompey it was only a matter of time.

I do agree with your view that some of these managers were brought in to help a sinking ship, battle relegation , find a short term fix and that has contributed to the crazy number of managers during this period.

If anyone needs some more convincing as to the need for a more measured medium term approach , just look at that list.
    Don’t disagree on the more measured approach. You’ll find all my posts on Ardley from day 1 are the same. Don’t think he’s a long term option but you have to give him the season unless things go really bad.

That said....on the list

1.) Steve Cotteril 77.78% - wanted to go
    4.) Keith Curle 45.1% - could have been given more time, but the football was awful
    5.) Kevin Nolan 41.7% - should have been given more time
    6.) Craig Short 41.18% - the biggest should have been given more time
    7.) Martin Allen 37.21% - for me had to go for on the field reasons, we were awful. Shame
    8.) Neal Ardley 35.1% - got to give the guy a fair crack if he didn’t go at the end of last season
    9.) Paul Ince 34.48% - lost the plot
    10.) Shaun Derry 33.77% - awful signings, awful football had to go
    11.) Mark Cooper 30% - just a horrible individual, not a good thing to say about him, had to go
    12.) Ricardo Moniz 29.41% - should have been given more time
    13.) Chris Kiwomya 26.47% - should never have been appointed
    14.) John Sheridan 25% should never have been appointed
    15.) Jamie Fullarton 23.08% - the worst Notts manager, ever
    16.) Harry Kewell 21.4% - should have been given time.

So 14 full time managers.

1 in post
    1 wanted to go
    5 should have been given more time.
    4 should never have been appointed - right to dismiss
    3 fell apart after promising starts - right to dismiss

The 2000s was grim (similar to the 1960s) but this past decade will probably be remembered as the worst ever. The fact that we got relegated to non-league must seal it as such, yet so much has happened over the last 10 years that you couldn't describe it as the most boring, disastrous yes, but not as dull as the Trust years.

The managers are irrelevant with the two owners we had, we probably all knew deep down that we were screwed from the moment it was announced Jim Rodwell (a man who'd ruined Boston United) was involved with an owner who was effectively rejected by a sinking Lincoln City. Hardy had to be stark raving bonkers to take on the total mess Trew made of it, and so it proved.

I suppose with the new owners there is a sense of starting from scratch, even though that isn't really the case (debt wise), but as this is as low as we've ever been, surely it can only get better from here.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 30-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.

What a shower. Quite a few ex-top flight midfielders and defenders whose idea of football management would be to shout at people. You could possibly make one decent manager by splicing the genes of Moniz (a glorified skills coach), Allen (bullying Dad figure) and Cotterill (old school 4-4-2 merchant). To be fair to them all they had to operate under the Trew gang or Big Al's circus.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Don’t disagree on the more measured approach. You’ll find all my posts on Ardley from day 1 are the same. Don’t think he’s a long term option but you have to give him the season unless things go really bad.

That said....on the list

1.) Steve Cotteril 77.78% - wanted to go
    4.) Keith Curle 45.1% - could have been given more time, but the football was awful
    5.) Kevin Nolan 41.7% - should have been given more time
    6.) Craig Short 41.18% - the biggest should have been given more time
    7.) Martin Allen 37.21% - for me had to go for on the field reasons, we were awful. Shame
    8.) Neal Ardley 35.1% - got to give the guy a fair crack if he didn’t go at the end of last season
    9.) Paul Ince 34.48% - lost the plot
    10.) Shaun Derry 33.77% - awful signings, awful football had to go
    11.) Mark Cooper 30% - just a horrible individual, not a good thing to say about him, had to go
    12.) Ricardo Moniz 29.41% - should have been given more time
    13.) Chris Kiwomya 26.47% - should never have been appointed
    14.) John Sheridan 25% should never have been appointed
    15.) Jamie Fullarton 23.08% - the worst Notts manager, ever
    16.) Harry Kewell 21.4% - should have been given time.

So 14 full time managers.

1 in post
    1 wanted to go
    5 should have been given more time.
    4 should never have been appointed - right to dismiss
    3 fell apart after promising starts - right to dismiss
    However you slice it and dice it and everyone has their own opinion on each manager, that summary list at the end speaks volumes.

(5) Premature sackings, (4) awful unsuitable appointments and a few (3) that simply fell apart are shocking statistics. With those numbers and those reasons you have to look at the people in charge and point the figures as bar (1) and the current manager they were the ones making the decisions.

(14) is footballing black humour. I can't believe with that number we haven't raced up the leagues like we did under Warnock and Sirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The 2000s was grim (similar to the 1960s) but this past decade will probably be remembered as the worst ever. The fact that we got relegated to non-league must seal it as such, yet so much has happened over the last 10 years that you couldn't describe it as the most boring, disastrous yes, but not as dull as the Trust years.

The managers are irrelevant with the two owners we had, we probably all knew deep down that we were screwed from the moment it was announced Jim Rodwell (a man who'd ruined Boston United) was involved with an owner who was effectively rejected by a sinking Lincoln City. Hardy had to be stark raving bonkers to take on the total mess Trew made of it, and so it proved.

I suppose with the new owners there is a sense of starting from scratch, even though that isn't really the case (debt wise), but as this is as low as we've ever been, surely it can only get better from here.
    Funny how people remember Mark Cooper. I think he did a good job and Trew made it clear he was short term. What did you expect Cooper to do, wait for his contract to expire before looking for another job?
    He’a been pretty good at the clubs he has managed.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 31-12-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Funny how people remember Mark Cooper. I think he did a good job and Trew made it clear he was short term. What did you expect Cooper to do, wait for his contract to expire before looking for another job?
    He’a been pretty good at the clubs he has managed.
    Oops I meant this for Don O’Riordan.

I think this decade will be remembered for bad ownership, not bad management. Sure, we've had some truly awful appointments (Kiwomya and Fullarton may be the two worst managers we've ever had), but it was our bonkers owners who gave them the chance in the first place.

On top of the bizarre appointments, we had plenty of bizarre sackings. Short, Curle, Moniz, Nolan, and Kewell were all sacked way too soon. Who knows what they could have achieved if given time.

Trew was the worst when it came to big decisions. We lurched from one manager and style of play to a completely different one. The fact we went from Derry to Moniz to Fullarton within less than a year says it all. Madness. No wonder we ended up where we did.

Thankfully, we appear to be starting the 2020s with decent, rational, level-headed owners. That alone is reason to be optimistic, regardless of the division we currently find ourselves in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    ...Red Adair stuff!
    You leave him out of this - he was brilliant with Ginger Rogers!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast