+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nketiah

Nketiah

Looks like he is getting recalled and then sent back out somewhere else. What are peoples thoughts?

Personally, I'm not too bothered, whenever he has come on I think we have been worse for it, he is a talented player who clearly has an eye for goal but I don't think right now he is the player we need.

His performance vs Birmingham was poor and I thought pretty lazy, too many times when Brum won the ball he wasn't closing down, two of their goals came from him not putting pressure on the centre back (mostly Harley Dean) and allowing him to step out into midfield. Or he did that token fake closing down that strikers do where they run towards the ball with no real purpose or skill.

He sometimes held the ball up but most of the time he lost it and again, he didn't chase after it once he had not won it, he just stood there and watched, there was one point where he stood and watched Harrison fly past him to tackle their defender then charge down the goalkeeper.

That said, Nketiah at times had some good skill and gets himself in good positions + despite being short seems to be our best attacking threat from corners.

For me it all depends on who would come in instead, if it was Che Adams I'd pack Nketiahs bags myself, though considering Adams started Southamptons last game, I'd be surprised on that front.

My main worry is 1) he goes to Brentford, a team where he will fit in perfectly and score 10 goals, getting them into automatic promotion spots/score against us.

2) Nketiah goes back, we have nobody lined up and end up with nothing and an even weaker squad.

Whatever happens I want it done with, if he is going get him gone on 1st Jan or after West Brom game and move on. If he is staying, make it clear NOW and let him and us focus on the end of the season.

I'd be happy if he stayed, I think he offers us something different and is a talented lad but I'd be lying if I don't think someone else would be a better fit.

Billy Sharp, Dwight Gayle, Che Adams..........that type of quality, but not going to happen. I say Sharp because you know in our team with his positioning and intelligence he'd score easily

I dont think Nketiah is a loss to us at all, mainly because we dont use a system/formation that suits his skillset and he is simply to lightweight to play the lone striker role that we currently favour.

The lad has skills and can finish for sure, however my observation is that he adds something to the team for the last 10 mins or so of a match with his electric pace but if he on for much longer than that, the team find themselves on the backfoot more as the ball does not stick up top.

I am not sure who we can bring into support Bamford but on the other hand I am not sure why Edmondson is not getting opportunities either?

Gayle would be my favoured choice of replacement, Che Adam's really not sure about, has he had more than 1 good season? Sharp we should never have let him go but think he needs a partner up front to be most effective.

Oul Bielsa might have got it right. He's a last 15 impact man for us.
    But for someone else??

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    I dont think Nketiah is a loss to us at all, mainly because we dont use a system/formation that suits his skillset and he is simply to lightweight to play the lone striker role that we currently favour.

The lad has skills and can finish for sure, however my observation is that he adds something to the team for the last 10 mins or so of a match with his electric pace but if he on for much longer than that, the team find themselves on the backfoot more as the ball does not stick up top.

I am not sure who we can bring into support Bamford but on the other hand I am not sure why Edmondson is not getting opportunities either?

Gayle would be my favoured choice of replacement, Che Adam's really not sure about, has he had more than 1 good season? Sharp we should never have let him go but think he needs a partner up front to be most effective.

Lightweight is exactly what I was thinking, particularly for the Championship, he may be better in the Premiership but more likely to get battered in the lower leagues

He hasn't been the Messiah that people were hoping for at the start of the season; he is quite lightweight and often gives the appearance of being lazy and sulky. He certainly doesn't fit in with Bielsa's style of play. Having said that, he has shown flashes of quality, has scored or set up important goals and is pretty much our only cover for Bamford so if he does leave it's essential that we have someone else lined up as a replacement.

Would have liked him to stay.He knows the players and how Bielsa operates..and I rate him.
    So if/when he goes we could lose time trying to get in a replacement..and after the Dan James shambles last season I won't hold my breath..the most crucial time of the season (again) and are we going to f@rt about again???

Leeds United and the January transfer window..like trying to put a square peg in a round hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Would have liked him to stay.He knows the players and how Bielsa operates..and I rate him.
    So if/when he goes we could lose time trying to get in a replacement..and after the Dan James shambles last season I won't hold my breath..the most crucial time of the season (again) and are we going to f@rt about again???

Leeds United and the January transfer window..like trying to put a square peg in a round hole!
    Me too but it appears unlikely as he is actually a square peg in a round hole within a Bielsa system that has seen us clear of the chasing pack.

I’m positive for this window and this season. Rads and Orta will never get a better chance and after all the good they have done to date I can’t see anything but continued astuteness towards our place in the Premiership.

That’s my stance anyway and hope 😀

Here’s wishing all Leeds fans on here a great 2020

I might be wrong here but I think his poor performances lately have been because of him not giving a fk anymore. He came here to play, scored plenty at the start of the season but even that wasn't enough to displace Bamford who hasn't scored in 10, or more. There is literally nothing else he could have done to earn a starting spot and was still kept on the sidelines. I would like him to stay and be given a fair chance but won't be happening.

I do hope his replacement will fit in our system better because Bamford just doesn't score enough.

Quote Originally Posted by cress View Post
    I might be wrong here but I think his poor performances lately have been because of him not giving a fk anymore. He came here to play, scored plenty at the start of the season but even that wasn't enough to displace Bamford who hasn't scored in 10, or more. There is literally nothing else he could have done to earn a starting spot and was still kept on the sidelines. I would like him to stay and be given a fair chance but won't be happening.

I do hope his replacement will fit in our system better because Bamford just doesn't score enough.
    Agree on all this.

Quote Originally Posted by cress View Post

He isn't going to get a fair chance if he cant be arsed when he is given a chance because hes sulking about not dropping Bamford when Bamford has been playing well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)