+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Bromley

Match ratings v Bromley

Wow...difficult on what to make of that today. I want to say that we never deserved to win that game, but on the other hand every Notts player put a real shift in against probably the best team I've seen at the lane this season (I couldn't make the Barrow game).

There wasn't much quality on show today but I think we owe Bromley a lot of credit in how well they played. Did we deserve to win? Probably not....but when you put everything on the line like we did today then sometimes you get these kind of victories!

Slocombe - Some fine saves, catches and punches to keep the score tight - 7

Brindley - Linked up well with Osbourne a couple of times and generally solid. Not as effective in the 2nd half - 6.5

Lacey - Nice touch, good in the air, did well to battle hard against a tough and determined Bromley attack - 7

Rawlinson - As per Lacey, but with a towering header to win all three points - 8 (that winner probably seals MOTM too)

Mccrory - Solid as always at the back, not so good past the half way line but that isn't his strength anyway - 7

Osbourne - Nice and direct running, set up the first goal and always looks dangerous in the way he moves and the positions he gets into but still looks raw in his first touch at times and his lack of strength. Best I've seen him play though and deserved his applause - 7

Doyle - You know what you're going to get with Doyle. Plenty of hard work and passes but was generally second best in midfield today against a physical Bromley. Never gave in or stopped running though - 6.5

Rose - I do find him frustrating to watch. He never gives up which why his rating isn't lower but creatively he doesn't offer much and I feel scared when the ball is passed to him. His physical presence was welcome today however. - 6

Enzio - Defensively I thought he was good today but going forward he was never in the game either through having too many men marking him or through (in my opinion) poor positional sense. Worked hard - 6

Thomas - Fed on scraps but took his goal well and could...perhaps should...have scored another that went just wide. Worked tirelessly again but struggled to get in the game as we were under the cosh so much and was effectively marked out of the game. - 7

Wootton - Difficult to mark him today. He had to lead the physical line pretty much by himself today but he was well marshalled by their defence and was second best for the most part. Also fed on scraps by a non existent creative midfield....However, without him there today it would have been so much more difficult to hold on to the win. He always puts a shift in and gives us that ***** outlet. Probably his worst game for us so far but I'm still going to give him a decent score just for his mentality - 7

Bird + Dennis .....not enough time on pitch to score them.

All in all it was an honest days work by the team but we should be under no illusions that performances like that will ever in a million years get us promotion. Our central midfield is still crying out for that drive that O'Brien brings and I can't see anything else to improve on until we can regularly control and dominate the middle of the pitch for entire games.

Mixed bag today but I appreciate how hard the team played and that's all you can ask for really, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Wow...difficult on what to make of that today. I want to say that we never deserved to win that game, but on the other hand every Notts player put a real shift in against probably the best team I've seen at the lane this season (I couldn't make the Barrow game).

There wasn't much quality on show today but I think we owe Bromley a lot of credit in how well they played. Did we deserve to win? Probably not....but when you put everything on the line like we did today then sometimes you get these kind of victories!

Brindley - Linked up well with Osbourne a couple of times and generally solid. Not as effective in the 2nd half - 6.5

Lacey - Nice touch, good in the air, did well to battle hard against a tough and determined Bromley attack - 7

Rawlinson - As per Lacey, but with a towering header to win all three points - 8 (that winner probably seals MOTM too)

Mccrory - Solid as always at the back, not so good past the half way line but that isn't his strength anyway - 7

Osbourne - Nice and direct running, set up the first goal and always looks dangerous in the way he moves and the positions he gets into but still looks raw in his first touch at times and his lack of strength. Best I've seen him play though and deserved his applause - 7

Doyle - You know what you're going to get with Doyle. Plenty of hard work and passes but was generally second best in midfield today against a physical Bromley. Never gave in or stopped running though - 6.5

Rose - I do find him frustrating to watch. He never gives up which why his rating isn't lower but creatively he doesn't offer much and I feel scared when the ball is passed to him. His physical presence was welcome today however. - 6

Enzio - Defensively I thought he was good today but going forward he was never in the game either through having too many men marking him or through (in my opinion) poor positional sense. Worked hard - 6

Thomas - Fed on scraps but took his goal well and could...perhaps should...have scored another that went just wide. Worked tirelessly again but struggled to get in the game as we were under the cosh so much and was effectively marked out of the game. - 7

Wootton - Difficult to mark him today. He had to lead the physical line pretty much by himself today but he was well marshalled by their defence and was second best for the most part. Also fed on scraps by a non existent creative midfield....However, without him there today it would have been so much more difficult to hold on to the win. He always puts a shift in and gives us that ***** outlet. Probably his worst game for us so far but I'm still going to give him a decent score just for his mentality - 7

All in all it was an honest days work by the team but we should be under no illusions that performances like that will ever in a million years get us promotion. Our central midfield is still crying out for that drive that O'Brien brings and I can't see anything else to improve on until we can regularly control and dominate the middle of the pitch for entire games.

Mixed bag today but I appreciate how hard the team played and that's all you can ask for really, isn't it.
    I would agree with just about everything there. Very good ratings and game assessment.

Would agree with most of them today. I would drop Doyle down to a generous 6 though. Far too many wayward passes. Here’s hoping JoB is back soon and Doyle takes a ‘rest’ period!

All in all it was an honest days work by the team but we should be under no illusions that performances like that will ever in a million years get us promotion.
    I know where you're coming from but I'd say the opposite. If we win promotion at the end of the season it could be the performances like today, where we suffered for significant periods of the game but dug out the result, that prove to be the difference. Earlier in the season we sometimes played well and lost, but now we seem to be getting better at winning the games without necessarily playing that well. It's a good ability to have.

Yes, you're absolutely right....these kind of wins make all the difference sometimes, but I'm of the opinion that if you perform like that all too often then these kind of wins are few and far between, and then turn into draws, and then losses....like under Derry and Nolan, to name but a few.

The guys have done brilliantly over Christmas but my concern is that we don't ever seem to dominate teams, or control a game somehow. It's unfair to compare the team to the Munto side but you always went to games confident we would get a result. I remember a game away at Northampton that season where we were under the cosh but somehow came away with the win....but the difference back then was that those performances were the exception, not the rule...which I'm worried may become the case with Notts if we're unable to sort the central midfield problem (which admittedly may only exist in my head!)

I wouldn't mark Rose or Enzio higher than 4

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    I wouldn't mark Rose or Enzio higher than 4
    Harsh on Rose.

Sitting near the dugout I can see/hear NA telling Enzio to stay inside nearly all of the time and shouting at Thomas to run out and collect the curling longer balls played by the backmen.

Personally I like Enzio is best out wide on the wing where he can try and take his man on. But I can see NA does this as Enzio instantly attracts 2 or 3 players to him every time he receives the ball - in theory freeing up space for the others. And NA knows far more about the game than me

Rose is well and truly on borrowed time. He's the one I would of dropped a while back and given Booty or (now) Crawford.

If neither impresses or suits the system, Rose comes back in in O'Briens absence.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast