+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: why would the club make it so difficult to fill the Derry- a true story

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20,157

    why would the club make it so difficult to fill the Derry- a true story

    This has been bugging me for nearly a year now,was wondering your thoughts on this

    Last season a guy iv known since the 70's through following the dees phoned me and said,what do you think about trying to get the derry sold out for the next home game(wouldv been the dons),however time wasn't on our side for that so we aimed at the st mirren game iirc.

    Now the thinking behind that was two fold,to generate atmosphere whilst sending out a clear message to J Nelms how important a full and bouncing derry could be to the club.

    Without going into every detail off i popped upto the ticket office where i spoke to the Neil,my question was how many seats are available for the derry before going on general sale.

    His answer was you will have to put that request in writing to the club,absolutely shocking and i really couldna believe what id just heard,in fact i just turned around and left the shop,wasnt til i got home and realised that if i had a spare 6hrs i couldv just logged on the clubs website and counted the unsold seats.so nothing was a secret re my question as its in the public domain anyway.

    Im pretty sure that the idea that was brought to me had a great chance of working yet instead of "yip sure its around xxxx by the way if you are looking at getting those kind of tickets wait there and il get someone from the club along to speak to you"

    sometimes i realise where the pishing into the wind phrase comes from
    Last edited by shaded; 07-01-2020 at 06:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    This has been bugging me for nearly a year now,was wondering your thoughts on this

    Last season a guy iv known since the 70's through following the dees phoned me and said,what do you think about trying to get the derry sold out for the next home game(wouldv been the dons),however time wasn't on our side for that so we aimed at the st mirren game iirc.

    Now the thinking behind that was two fold,to generate atmosphere whilst sending out a clear message to J Nelms how important a full and bouncing derry could be to the club.

    Without going into every detail off i popped upto the ticket office where i spoke to the Neil,my question was how many seats are available for the derry before going on general sale.

    His answer was you will have to put that request in writing to the club,absolutely shocking and i really couldna believe what id just heard,in fact i just turned around and left the shop,wasnt til i got home and realised that if i had a spare 6hrs i couldv just logged on the clubs website and counted the unsold seats.so nothing was a secret re my question as its in the public domain anyway.

    Im pretty sure that the idea that was brought to me had a great chance of working yet instead of "yip sure its around xxxx by the way if you are looking at getting those kind of tickets wait there and il get someone from the club along to speak to you"

    sometimes i realise where the pishing into the wind phrase comes from
    It's their ba.

    Compare and contrast......Dab fans asked for shed....done

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    This has been bugging me for nearly a year now,was wondering your thoughts on this

    Last season a guy iv known since the 70's through following the dees phoned me and said,what do you think about trying to get the derry sold out for the next home game(wouldv been the dons),however time wasn't on our side for that so we aimed at the st mirren game iirc.

    Now the thinking behind that was two fold,to generate atmosphere whilst sending out a clear message to J Nelms how important a full and bouncing derry could be to the club.

    Without going into every detail off i popped upto the ticket office where i spoke to the Neil,my question was how many seats are available for the derry before going on general sale.

    His answer was you will have to put that request in writing to the club,absolutely shocking and i really couldna believe what id just heard,in fact i just turned around and left the shop,wasnt til i got home and realised that if i had a spare 6hrs i couldv just logged on the clubs website and counted the unsold seats.so nothing was a secret re my question as its in the public domain anyway.

    Im pretty sure that the idea that was brought to me had a great chance of working yet instead of "yip sure its around xxxx by the way if you are looking at getting those kind of tickets wait there and il get someone from the club along to speak to you"

    sometimes i realise where the pishing into the wind phrase comes from
    Last season I was in Dundee on holiday and I was able to take advantage of the special offer for the last two home games of the season at a reduced price.
    I went to the ticket office to pay for my special offer and I asked the chap in the ticket office if many people had taken advantage of the special offer. He replied a few. I then asked what seats were available in the section of the Main Stand I normally sit which is immediately to the left of the hospitality sections looking towards the pitch.
    I was advised that there was only one seat unsold. I told the chap in the ticket office that it could not be right as there have been numerous empty seats in this section at the games I had managed to attend during the 2018-19 season including the Livingston game on Boxing Day where we had our highest home support of the whole season to date.
    He showed me the seating plan on the club computer for this section of the Main Stand and sure enough every seat was marked as being sold apart from one seat which I purchased.
    Needless to say when I attended the last two home games of last season there were lots of empty seats in this section despite the club computer saying no!,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    This has been bugging me for nearly a year now,was wondering your thoughts on this

    Last season a guy iv known since the 70's through following the dees phoned me and said,what do you think about trying to get the derry sold out for the next home game(wouldv been the dons),however time wasn't on our side for that so we aimed at the st mirren game iirc.

    Now the thinking behind that was two fold,to generate atmosphere whilst sending out a clear message to J Nelms how important a full and bouncing derry could be to the club.

    Without going into every detail off i popped upto the ticket office where i spoke to the Neil,my question was how many seats are available for the derry before going on general sale.

    His answer was you will have to put that request in writing to the club,absolutely shocking and i really couldna believe what id just heard,in fact i just turned around and left the shop,wasnt til i got home and realised that if i had a spare 6hrs i couldv just logged on the clubs website and counted the unsold seats.so nothing was a secret re my question as its in the public domain anyway.

    Im pretty sure that the idea that was brought to me had a great chance of working yet instead of "yip sure its around xxxx by the way if you are looking at getting those kind of tickets wait there and il get someone from the club along to speak to you"

    sometimes i realise where the pishing into the wind phrase comes from
    What a great idea! It might be difficult to get enough enthusiasm based on the relatively low number of Dee's who regularly post on here. I've been poor at supporting this forum recently, but your idea of trying to get the PATG fans to try to buy seats in the SE seems to me to be a winner. If successful it might make the club sit up and take notice of the influence that Dundee Mad can create.

    what game would you suggest?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,596
    Shaded, just looked on the ticket section for the SE and when you hover over the SE section there's a flash that tells you that there are 512 seats available for the Ayr United game. I must admit I don't know if the number is accurate but it would make sense that there was a realtime record of the number of seats available. This has piqued my interest and I'm away to see what the other stands say!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,596
    SE 512, Bobby Cox 1088, Mainer G 82, F 68, E 210, D 135 total 2095 available seats.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Last season I was in Dundee on holiday and I was able to take advantage of the special offer for the last two home games of the season at a reduced price.
    I went to the ticket office to pay for my special offer and I asked the chap in the ticket office if many people had taken advantage of the special offer. He replied a few. I then asked what seats were available in the section of the Main Stand I normally sit which is immediately to the left of the hospitality sections looking towards the pitch.
    I was advised that there was only one seat unsold. I told the chap in the ticket office that it could not be right as there have been numerous empty seats in this section at the games I had managed to attend during the 2018-19 season including the Livingston game on Boxing Day where we had our highest home support of the whole season to date.
    He showed me the seating plan on the club computer for this section of the Main Stand and sure enough every seat was marked as being sold apart from one seat which I purchased.
    Needless to say when I attended the last two home games of last season there were lots of empty seats in this section despite the club computer saying no!,
    computer says NO!, sounds like you have made a joke Islay, are you not feeling very well?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    20,157
    bcram next time im passing your work il pop in and ask if your about,and explain.

    are you still up at bellfield ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    computer says NO!, sounds like you have made a joke Islay, are you not feeling very well?
    BCram
    I just trying to quote a well known saying while showing that it was time for the club to update the information in their computer.
    They might have lost business by advising potential customers that a section of the Main Stand was full which of course was incorrect.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    BCram
    I just trying to quote a well known saying while showing that it was time for the club to update the information in their computer.
    They might have lost business by advising potential customers that a section of the Main Stand was full which of course was incorrect.
    I've never heard that saying so it can't be that 'well known'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •