+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of corry evans

Bell has started to look ok, but it seems a pity not to have Williams in the team.
    I did wonder about the three-at-the-back option: Tosin, Lenihan, Willams.
    Then Bennett and Bell could be wing-backs.
    That way, Travis, Holtby and Downing could play fairly centrally, with just two up front (Armstrong playing off Gallagher or Graham).
    We're probably going to be on the back foot for most of the game, anyway, so the third (and sometimes fourth!) attacker(s) Mowbray prefers to use might be a luxury we can't afford!

Stick to football Auks, graveyards are full of political casualties especially in the Gulags.

It appears we were premature about bell
    He is looking good at left back,just like nyambe is looking like the real deal at right back.
    Concerns me with injuries.
    The difference between us and the top 3 or 4 in this league is depth.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    It appears we were premature about bell
    He is looking good at left back,just like nyambe is looking like the real deal at right back.
    Concerns me with injuries.
    The difference between us and the top 3 or 4 in this league is depth.
    Well, we have Charlie back, Robin!

On the subject of defenders, my brother-in-law, a Cobblers supporter, drew my attention to the quote below which appeared on a Northampton fan-site yesterday after they beat Morecambe.

"I think every player had a shout for MOM but what about Scott Wharton again, cool, composed and makes football look easy, just don't tell Blackburn!"

I think Wharton will be back up next season if not possible tosin replacement.
    He is looking good at the moment but the difference between league 2 and the championship is quite large.

Mulgrew can't go anywhere on loan. So if he does end up playing, as I just can't see anyone buying him in Jan, then I don't see it in defence. I do think he could play in midfield, I'd much prefer him over Bennett. He's younger than Downing and I think in certain games, or the last 20 mins and we need something special, he can deliver a wonderful set piece. And we can utilise that. Just remove him from making mistakes at the back where we got caught. We've lost Evan's. And for experience, I'd prefer him to Johnson or Bennett. He has 18 months on his contract which is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Mulgrew can't go anywhere on loan. So if he does end up playing, as I just can't see anyone buying him in Jan, then I don't see it in defence. I do think he could play in midfield, I'd much prefer him over Bennett. He's younger than Downing and I think in certain games, or the last 20 mins and we need something special, he can deliver a wonderful set piece. And we can utilise that. Just remove him from making mistakes at the back where we got caught. We've lost Evan's. And for experience, I'd prefer him to Johnson or Bennett. He has 18 months on his contract which is the problem.
    Champs - I still think you are too quick to write players off.
    Bennett, Johnson, Downing, Graham and Mulgrew are all experienced players with decent careers on their CVs.
    Yes, they might be past their best, and some of them have had poor games this season, but even our very BEST players have had poor games this season!
    You have to take form and confidence into account too.
    I have often found the ups-and-downs in the performances of Armstrong, Bell and Rothwell very frustrating, but they all looked good on Saturday, and Armstrong has been impressive since Dack's injury.
    I was very pleased to see Davenport and Rankin-Costello get game-time, but I reckon we need to wait and see. Just assuming they're better BECAUSE they're young would be premature.
    To be honest, I still think Downing has been our best player this season - certainly in terms of consistency.

Bit of a mixed bag with the more mature players.
    Graham has been great for us and still pops up with useful cameos but this is his last season in my opinion.
    Mulgrew will only play this season through injuries and unless that happens Charlton would of been his last game.
    He looked poor last season,I doubt he has improved at 34 years of age.
    Johnson has been very average and I would only use to shore up a result.
    Bennett has been mr Blackburn rovers
    The man would run through walls for the club but it's very clear that time is against him.
    Bring him on at right mid to see a game out but at right back is a sin.
    Downing has been great for us,a top professional.
    He rarely wastes passes and has been very consistent.
    Shame it hasn't rubbed off on the rest.

We should remember Bennett is only 31, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I still think you are too quick to write players off.
    Bennett, Johnson, Downing, Graham and Mulgrew are all experienced players with decent careers on their CVs.
    Yes, they might be past their best, and some of them have had poor games this season, but even our very BEST players have had poor games this season!
    You have to take form and confidence into account too.
    I have often found the ups-and-downs in the performances of Armstrong, Bell and Rothwell very frustrating, but they all looked good on Saturday, and Armstrong has been impressive since Dack's injury.
    I was very pleased to see Davenport and Rankin-Costello get game-time, but I reckon we need to wait and see. Just assuming they're better BECAUSE they're young would be premature.
    To be honest, I still think Downing has been our best player this season - certainly in terms of consistency.
    The last 2 games Downing has been outstanding. Better than anyone at any point this season. If he plays well, I will say.

You mentioned something the other day. And I'm in agreement. We aren't going down. Lers target as many wins as we can. Abd go for it with the likes of Davenport, JRC, Gsllagher etc. Let's give them games. I'd still like yo see Brereton get games somewhere on loan. Id get shut of Chapman & Bennett, Smsllwood, free up some wages. Go get a winger. And lets get a young side with a bit of experience, only a bit, and see how we get on. Try and build for a push next season. With a young team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)