+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of corry evans

I agree, but if Mowbray isn't seen to be trying to achieve a play-off place this season, he will be open to yet more criticism. I think, to do that, he is probably going to go down the "safe" route for now.
    Chapman is the enigma, to be honest. I wonder if we'll ever know the full story. TM went to a lot of trouble to get him, but he's hardly got a sniff of a first-team place. At first, it was supposed to be about strengthening his hamstring, but since then...?
    If he leaves now, we will have to conclude it's something to do with attitude, because he surely can't have gone backwards so far so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I agree, but if Mowbray isn't seen to be trying to achieve a play-off place this season, he will be open to yet more criticism. I think, to do that, he is probably going to go down the "safe" route for now.
    Chapman is the enigma, to be honest. I wonder if we'll ever know the full story. TM went to a lot of trouble to get him, but he's hardly got a sniff of a first-team place. At first, it was supposed to be about strengthening his hamstring, but since then...?
    If he leaves now, we will have to conclude it's something to do with attitude, because he surely can't have gone backwards so far so quickly.
    I felt something quite big happened on Sat. And I'm not talking about the result.
    We left on the bench, Bennett, Graham and Johnson or Williams.
    I felt that was telling, as he favoured JRC, Brereton and Davenport.
    Now, one of them, I just don't seeing getting enough game time. You stick with Armstrong, Holtby and Gallagher. let them form a partnership. But Ben needs games and goals, don't let him go anywhere lower than Div1. And only let him go to a good footballing side.
    We have been going with the safe option far too long now, and its time we went brave. It will reap rewards, next season.
    If they play, these older lads, they have to contribute. Johnson never has, Bennett rarely does, DG struggles.
    But now is the right time to start playing the young lads in preparation for next season. We aren't going down, we are in a good position. So it will be good to start seeing the likes of Rankin Costello come on. And Davenport. Go with these lads first, when they tire, THEN bring in Bennett etc.

Nyambe!!! What a player this lad has turned into. he destroys fullbacks, and has improved ten fold as a defender.
    This is a lad, who canme in, did well, then hit bad form. And now he is the other side of it.
    Bell is exactly the same. Unbelievably badly treated over-all. And has done nothing wrong in recent games, he is, I feel, making that LB position his own. I see no need for Williams. We need to be looking at starting both Bell and Nyambe for next season.

As for Chapman, I saw his few performances in the first team, and was a bit shocked. He has lost his burst of pace, doesn't have a trick anymore, and lacks confidence. We only ever saw Chapman in Div1 as a bit part player, coming on as sub, playing for the best, strongest side in the division. We have moved on, and improved. He hasn't.
    We are going for a winger in this window, its pretty clear. And that is because Chapman hasn't worked out. We cant keep playing SG there, or Armstrong. We need a winger. I wouldn't let Chapman go out on loan, I'd try move him on to Div2 or maybe at a push Div2 on a free.

It's very harsh to say Bell was badly-treated. He was given lots of chances and performed well about one in four. In particular, his defensive positioning was poor.
    I was actually surprised when TM brought him back in for the start of his current run in the team, because both Downing and Williams had looked reasonably secure at left-back.
    In other words, it is actually Mowbray himself who has trusted Bell to turn things around, and he has repaid that trust by performing well in the last few games. The big question is, can he sustain that form across an extended period?

It would solve a problem area if he were to step up and make that position his own.
    A successful loan spell for hart and that side of the pitch can be ticked off.
    All ifs,buts and maybes of course.

It's very harsh to say Bell was badly-treated. He was given lots of chances and performed well about one in four. In particular, his defensive positioning was poor.
    I was actually surprised when TM brought him back in for the start of his current run in the team, because both Downing and Williams had looked reasonably secure at left-back.
    In other words, it is actually Mowbray himself who has trusted Bell to turn things around, and he has repaid that trust by performing well in the last few games. The big question is, can he sustain that form across an extended period?
    Treated badly by the fans and completely written off. My point being, 12 months ago the exact same thing was being said of Nyambe. Same defensive frailties, same inconsistency. I'm surprised you say he was that poor defending but suggest I am harsh on Bennett, for highlighting his numerous costly mistakes. He is way more experienced.
    But there's another important role our fullbacks do, which is attack. More often than not, they are our out-ball when going forward. I always felt Bennetts final ball was poor. And he often hit aimless ball's out of play, or into the first defender.
    And it's something I feel we look to have improved on. And it's no coincidence we look better in an attacking sense at moment.
    It's also interesting our best 2 performances this season, by far are away from home, vrs a side very similar to us league position wise, and without Dack. In a slight variation to what we have been doing all season.

To be fair to me, Champs, you seem to be suggesting that I was one of those critical of Nyambe. That wasn't the case. I always argued that he had the ability. Unfortunately, his confidence WAS badly affected by criticism, and Mowbray dropped him because he didn't seem able to play his way out of the bad patch. Basically, he was taken out of the firing-line.
    Bennett looked much more secure at first, but then hit a bad spell himself when he should have been moved or dropped.
    Even so, he was not always as dire in every game as you and others made out. You refer to unfair criticism of Nyambe, but I think Bennett was a victim of that too.
    There were several games where Bennett was by no means our worst player, but he was always the first one picked on.
    In a similar way, it seems to have been forgotten that Evans was identified for a long time, last season, as a weak link in the team, and an obstacle to our progress. Suddenly, he found some form and he has become one of our most valuable assets again.
    Supporters are very fickle.
    They also often turn a blind eye to bad performances by their "favourites".
    Most amazing of all, though, is their ability to contradict themselves within a short time-frame without batting an eeyelid.

One argument I regularly have on Facebook is how fickle some of our fanbase is.
    Now we can all be accused sometimes of being a little hot and cold over our football team but the reactions on there is absolutely diabolical.

To be fair to me, Champs, you seem to be suggesting that I was one of those critical of Nyambe. That wasn't the case. I always argued that he had the ability. Unfortunately, his confidence WAS badly affected by criticism, and Mowbray dropped him because he didn't seem able to play his way out of the bad patch. Basically, he was taken out of the firing-line.
    Bennett looked much more secure at first, but then hit a bad spell himself when he should have been moved or dropped.
    Even so, he was not always as dire in every game as you and others made out. You refer to unfair criticism of Nyambe, but I think Bennett was a victim of that too.
    There were several games where Bennett was by no means our worst player, but he was always the first one picked on.
    In a similar way, it seems to have been forgotten that Evans was identified for a long time, last season, as a weak link in the team, and an obstacle to our progress. Suddenly, he found some form and he has become one of our most valuable assets again.
    Supporters are very fickle.
    They also often turn a blind eye to bad performances by their "favourites".
    Most amazing of all, though, is their ability to contradict themselves within a short time-frame without batting an eeyelid.
    Not at all. I rarely see you slate any player.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    One argument I regularly have on Facebook is how fickle some of our fanbase is.
    Now we can all be accused sometimes of being a little hot and cold over our football team but the reactions on there is absolutely diabolical.
    Do you post of Rovers Live?

No the rovers or Blackburn rovers supporters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)