+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I never saw/heard it happen. We must have moved in different circles. Calling anyone a " f@@king" anything has always been unacceptable in my book and if I'd used the word " f@@k" anywhere near my Dad I'd have had a clout round the earhole.
    I did use it once when I was about 9 and I did get a clout round the ear hole, mind you I never said it again in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If you never saw or heard it, we must have moved in very different circles. My first memory was back in the mid 70s when a Sikh bloke joined our shift. The person assigned to train him said "I'm not training a f@@cking P@ki" so he was assigned to someone else. I know it's the P-word (the irony is that he was Indian) rather than the N-word, but the principle is the same. He was a good bloke, but half the shift didn't want to speak to him because of his skin colour. That all changed one night shift when he brought in a massive box of the leftovers from a big Sikh celebration. It was the first time any of us had tasted things like samosas and bhajis, but after a few tentative nibbles, the majority of us loved them. After that we all used to chuck 50p in and his wife used to make a load of them for the Friday night shift. Two good lessons for us all - don't judge a person by skin colour, and Indian food beats a cheese sandwich by a mile.
    A cheese sarni = less bowel movement the next day though.

If you never saw or heard it, we must have moved in very different circles. My first memory was back in the mid 70s when a Sikh bloke joined our shift. The person assigned to train him said "I'm not training a f@@cking P@ki" so he was assigned to someone else. I know it's the P-word (the irony is that he was Indian) rather than the N-word, but the principle is the same. He was a good bloke, but half the shift didn't want to speak to him because of his skin colour. That all changed one night shift when he brought in a massive box of the leftovers from a big Sikh celebration. It was the first time any of us had tasted things like samosas and bhajis, but after a few tentative nibbles, the majority of us loved them. After that we all used to chuck 50p in and his wife used to make a load of them for the Friday night shift. Two good lessons for us all - don't judge a person by skin colour, and Indian food beats a cheese sandwich by a mile.
    Indeed our circles were different. I spent the mid-late 60's at University with a wide range of cultures and colours. The only ones I didn't like much were the Iraqi and Kurds and that was nothing to do with their skin colour. The Persians were fine. After doing engineering at RR (Derby) I went to Aussie land where I was the new "Pommie Barsteward" but invited and involved in everything so all taken as banter and I'd take the mickey at their aerial ballet (Aussie Rules). Time then spent in Papua New Guinea so anything from brown to jet black there.

Guess I've been lucky not to see racism at its ugly worst and maybe I have a softer approach to what may upset some folk.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    A cheese sarni = less bowel movement the next day though.
    I think that after 45 years you've solved a riddle that has puzzled me for decades.

I now know why the bog roll always ran out before the end of the Friday night shift.

Indeed our circles were different. I spent the mid-late 60's at University with a wide range of cultures and colours. The only ones I didn't like much were the Iraqi and Kurds and that was nothing to do with their skin colour. The Persians were fine. After doing engineering at RR (Derby) I went to Aussie land where I was the new "Pommie Barsteward" but invited and involved in everything so all taken as banter and I'd take the mickey at their aerial ballet (Aussie Rules). Time then spent in Papua New Guinea so anything from brown to jet black there.

Guess I've been lucky not to see racism at its ugly worst and maybe I have a softer approach to what may upset some folk.
    Ahh, so you went to Uni. That explains how you missed the real world.

I think that after 45 years you've solved a riddle that has puzzled me for decades.

I now know why the bog roll always ran out before the end of the Friday night shift.
    Why does it not surprise me that it has taken you 45 years.

Ahh, so you went to Uni. That explains how you missed the real world.
    Liverpool in the swinging 60's was the real world (or so I'm told, I don't remember much of it! )

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    This is a genuine story as well.

My dad worked in a panel beaters in Derby in the 60s. Having just come over on the boat, he still had his strong Irish accent. As lads did then, they started calling him Paddy and Mick. My dad got fed up with this fairly quickly and on one particular day he told one bloke if he called him a stupid name again, he’d put him on his arse.

The bloke called him a stupid name again and so my dad smacked him and put him on his arse.

No one called him Paddy or Mick again.
    Good on yer ode man fatlad. Great to see his son would never sterotype anyone based on their skin colour , where they are from and what branch of the armed forces they served in.

Cap off to you mate. Anybody RR trained are as good as anyone in their field. If it was on aero engines possibly a question you could answer for me (as an apprentice fitter that once was, and still is, interested in mech. engineering). I'm sure an old RR aero man once told me that the spiral spinners in the jet engines are turned by hand to make sure they do not catch the housings during production. Should the 'fins' be out of tolerance they are hand filed until acceptable tolerances are achieved. Is this true? Brilliant if it is.

With no offence meant to anyone an excellent reply by somebody who has seen it all and got on with things without looking to find something to be 'outraged' by.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast