+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Trump

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Well I honestly think there's enough distance between Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump to make comparisons between them frivolous. If that has changed by 2024 then I'll change my mind too but until then, not for me Clive.
    Personally I think this is closest. The rise of Hitler has been discussed exhaustively here; the main difference for me between the two would be that the American system was designed to have checks and balances to avoid a situation such as happened in post WWI Germany, and, for all the monikers such as "leader of the free world" and "world's most powerful person", in reality the President of the United States is not in possession of unlimited power. I'm sure the US political system has many flaws - that it has ended up with the current incumbent of the Oval Office is proof of that - but it is pretty impressive - and prescient - that this was implemented 250 odd years ago.

More concerning, if we want to look at comparisons with mistakes of the past, would be the systems allowing unchecked power such as that wielded by Xi Jinping. Or, interestingly, someone like Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil perhaps.

This is not to say that Trump isn't dangerous, only that the other branches of the government in Washington can hopefully curb some of his excesses in a way that would never have happened in 1930s Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu_pie View Post
    Personally I think this is closest. The rise of Hitler has been discussed exhaustively here; the main difference for me between the two would be that the American system was designed to have checks and balances to avoid a situation such as happened in post WWI Germany, and, for all the monikers such as "leader of the free world" and "world's most powerful person", in reality the President of the United States is not in possession of unlimited power. I'm sure the US political system has many flaws - that it has ended up with the current incumbent of the Oval Office is proof of that - but it is pretty impressive - and prescient - that this was implemented 250 odd years ago.

More concerning, if we want to look at comparisons with mistakes of the past, would be the systems allowing unchecked power such as that wielded by Xi Jinping. Or, interestingly, someone like Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil perhaps.

This is not to say that Trump isn't dangerous, only that the other branches of the government in Washington can hopefully curb some of his excesses in a way that would never have happened in 1930s Germany.
    Someone ought to tell Trump that. I do think he believes he has absolute power.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Someone ought to tell Trump that. I do think he believes he has absolute power.
    In a sense he does, because he knows that his army is definitely bigger and better than any other country's army. That is an enormous power that should be used sensibly, but I don't think that the word 'sensible' is in Trump's vocabulary.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 10-01-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Where are you seriouspie, because it looks like Soccerman has stolen your thunder once again here. He's already pinched most of the gammon stereotypes, surely you can top it with an even further right pebble crushing machine anecdote?
    Wouldn't dream of trying to outdo Joe ........ we fly the same flag with pride and his words are the same as mine. Can't think of a suitable anecdote relevant to a crusher and right wing comment at the moment. Anyway sunshine .... you carry on with your beliefs and I'll stick with mine and look forward to a second term for the Donald and at least ten more years of Tory rule ...... Yippeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Can't think of a suitable anecdote relevant to a crusher and right wing comment at the moment.
    Don't give in so easily. You've always managed it in the past, I'm sure you can do it again.

In a sense he does, because he knows that his army is definitely bigger and better than any other country's army. That is an enormous power that should be used sensibly, but I don't think that the word 'sensible' is in Trump's vocabulary.
    Possibly not but 'Sensibility' in a person is not the main driver ........ Determination and perseverance to succeed ..... coupled with a certain ruthlessness makes a leader.

Possibly not but 'Sensibility' in a person is not the main driver ........
    I think that depends on the person.

Determination and perseverance to succeed ..... coupled with a certain ruthlessness makes a leader.
    True, but I would guess that the "certain ruthlessness" bit makes at least as many bad leaders as good.

If you are quite happy to sh!t on people to reach the top, why would you change when you're at the top?

Don't give in so easily. You've always managed it in the past, I'm sure you can do it again.
    I could quite easily ........ but describing how a convicted 100% proven terrorist or child molester for example COULD be punished by being passed slowly through a rock crusher would be too horrific for many on here.

I think that depends on the person.

True, but I would guess that the "certain ruthlessness" bit makes at least as many bad leaders as good.

If you are quite happy to sh!t on people to reach the top, why would you change when you're at the top?
    Naturally ....... but what defines good or bad? It's defined by other peoples opinions ....... and they will always vary

You don't have to crap on people to be ruthless or reach the top. Nobody built a business being Mr nice guy but they can be fair.

Naturally ....... but what defines good or bad? It's defined by other peoples opinions ....... and they will always vary.
    Maybe, but I'm struggling to see Trump as a good guy.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast