+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh that January Transfer Window

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh that January Transfer Window

I look back on last year’s January window and Mike Rigg’s verdict that it had been a relatively successful one. If getting in 7 million and Peter Crouch (great bloke by the way) for the departing Sam Vokes was a relatively successful one then I’d hate to see what a poor window was like. I may indeed in fact get to see a poor window this January if the noises emanating from Turf Moor are to be believed so God help us if that comes to pass. In case the recruitment team have nothing better to do I suggest that they watch the “Team of the 70’s” video and remind themselves of what this club means and the disaster that follows when you do not invest in bringing in quality players.

A demoralising, disastrous, debacle awaits outwood.

The Championship beckons.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    In case the recruitment team have nothing better to do I suggest that they watch the “Team of the 70’s” video and remind themselves of what this club means and the disaster that follows when you do not invest in bringing in quality players.
    Well spotted Outwood, I was going to mention this eventually, Paul Fletcher and I think it was Colin Waldron, both saying that the reason we never became the team of the 70s was because Bob Lord preferred to spend money on 'infrastructure' rather than let Jimmy Adamson spend it on the team.

Result.
    1971 Relegation
    1976 Relegation
    1980 Relegation
    1983 Relegation
    1985 Relegation
    1987 Orient Game

Yet bizarrely we're told that we're surviving in the PL solely because the Board are far too prudent to spend money on the team. It didn't end well last time, it won't end well this time either.

Yet bizarrely we're told that we're surviving in the PL solely because the Board are far too prudent to spend money on the team. It didn't end well last time, it won't end well this time either.

Who is actually peddling that line sinkov?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Who is actually peddling that line sinkov?
    My good friend 59/60 is certainly one BT, without trawling back, which I'm not going to do, I couldn't tell you who else has made the claim that we are where we are purely because of our board and their financial acumen, but he certainly wasn't a voice in the wilderness. Maybe Alto can help, he's long since got fed up of being told to stop moaning when he's pointed out that if the board don't pull their finger out and get some money spent on the team, we're doomed to be relegated.

Drinkwater leaving will have freed up some cash. The squad desperately needs younger fresher legs, but I'm not holding my breath.

I was talking to Les Latchum last week,I nearly persuaded him to come out of retirement..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I was talking to Les Latchum last week,I nearly persuaded him to come out of retirement..
    He had one special attribute had Les, he was by no means our best defender, but he was the only one we had, and he was possibly the only one in the league, who could put George Best in his pocket. He had George worked out and no mistake, not many did.
    Last edited by sinkov; 12-01-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Prudency is one thing sinkov, self immolation quite another.

If we're not going to sign any players, why did we appoint Mike Rigg as "Technical Director"? He may as well be directing traffic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)