+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Suspended in Amber

Suspended in Amber

Paul Barry did say, while pitching to buy the club, that United cant be run by holding whip rounds anymore. And that he admires the current board, and they can all keep their jobs if they vote for him, and not for other consortia that were interested. This was clever as it hinted that money would be available....when it is not.

It worked not surprisingly. Even Graham Daniels kept his job. It worries me that the board address whats going on pitch side through his eyes. After all, he was an advocate of Derry, and clearly is not impressed with Calderwood, which is the wrong way round.

Anyway, no more signings are in the offing according to Daniels, even though a signing now would benefit the club beyond this season.

This season has been written off. There is no money any further than keeping the club afloat, and there wont be in the future.

There might be a disingenuous statement hinting that there might be to allay the feeling that we have been taken for a ride. We are frozen in amber, we cant go forward, and our only movement will be to get relegated.

Daniels has said that we must now rely on youngsters, we haven't heard that before have we. When Barry took over, nothing changed. It was Barrys show all along, TWENTY FIVE years of failure, with more in the future.

A way to look at it is like me buying a Bentley, but I cant afford to run it. Peterboro bought a youngster from Barnet recently for 500,000£.
    That's not because the terraces are heaving, its because the directors have money.

The top and bottom of it is that allowing Barry to buy the club was a mistake. Who knows who else was interested, and what they were willing to invest. The most Barry will invest is £500,000 per year to keep the club afloat. Which is cheap as chips for a football league club.

After all these years it amazes me that Paul Barry still doesn't know how to run a football club. There is always a learning curve, but there is a point where you get it, or should.

Not so at Cambridge.

Or we would not be here now. Why buy it in the first place Mr Barry? All you have done is breed tedium, caught in a never ending programme of struggle, boredom and failure.

Karen.

I’m disgusted, Frank. I read all the way through that and you didn’t mention me even ONCE.

I did put it before the committee, and they rejected it with the following comments. Blethering was common, pantaloon wearer, slippery, spiv, Mr Oil slick, hooligan, nauseating, cherub, Quisling, scoundrel, swindler, were more of the acceptable ones.

I stood up and gave a twenty minute speech in your defence. The room was empty after 45 seconds, and I spoke to am empty room for a good while. No one came back, or new arrivals entered. On my way out there was a notice on the door.

Raglan.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)