+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Reviving the cup

Reviving the cup

Any suggestions beyond reducing entry price etc.

The importance of the competition to most supporters out with the old firm is still there but the early rounds seem to suffer poor home supports especially.

I think it needs it's own time and space.

I would like to see something really radical tried.

I'd keep up to round 3 the same, then have round 4 the new year weekend, round 5 the following week and quarters the week after.

Semis and final stay the same.

Does away with winter break but gives you something different at the time of year when crowds are at there lowest and if your ko'd in round 4 can still have contingency to **** off somewhere sunny.

Live game on the Friday, all other games on Saturday then 2 live on the Sunday.

Rinse and repeat.

Quarters 2 pm 4pm Saturday, 2pm 4pm Sunday.

There's a magic and history to this comp that needs revived.

Replays and postponed games ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Replays and postponed games ?
    The 1st available date as it used to be, Mon, Tues, weds.

There would be the odd postponement but our weather's changing a wee bit.

Just think it would give the early rounds a bit of razamatazz without effecting the semis and final in the better weather.

Everything seems to be played to suit the old firm and their European schedule.

I'm not a great believer in celtic/Rangers getting to later stages in Europe does much for the other sides but all the scheduling seems to pander to them.

TV has ruined football for me .
    Most of us have English teams that can fund players thanks to Sky money who throw us a pittance .

Our club has ruined the match day experience at Dens and I’m as likely to go to a junior game as a home cup game these days.

Away games still brilliant on the whole purely due to the bus banter and alcohol .

the sfa should have taken severe action when celtic and rangers started to devalue the competition by fielding weakened teams,actually utd benefited the year they won the cup by rangers fielding a weakened team at the dump iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    Most of us have English teams that can fund players thanks to Sky money who throw us a pittance .

Our club has ruined the match day experience at Dens and I’m as likely to go to a junior game as a home cup game these days.

Away games still brilliant on the whole purely due to the bus banter and alcohol .
    I hardly watch any fitba on the telly now but agree it's ****ed it up for smaller club's.

What tempts you to a junior game rather than a home cup game?

Perceived value? Better atmosphere, family?

Not having a pop im curious. I just don't see the appeal of junior football unless playing or helping run a team.

I take it shuntz you would never dream of missing a semi or final like 99.99% of our fan base.......it's what keeps me going that this will be the year, this year in particular it won't but at the moment the Mighty are 450 mins away from lifting the biggest trophy I could ever possibly see them win.

When they do win it and if I'm alive I want to see every game.....love the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    the sfa should have taken severe action when celtic and rangers started to devalue the competition by fielding weakened teams,actually utd benefited the year they won the cup by rangers fielding a weakened team at the dump iirc
    Playing weakened sides is a nonsense.

Wonder if Wigan fans reminisce a boot their cup win or their just above relegation premier league finishes.

Wonder what Newcastle fans with their bulging trophy room think when they play weakened sides and get annually pumped.

Will ICT be remembered for their cup win and pumping Celtic at parkhead with thon headline or the brutality of their league football.

The cup is fantastic, never let the bigger sides or the pundits tell anyone it means hee haw.

It gets managers sacked, hero's and memories created and gives fans of provincial clubs the ultimate high.

Listening to tam Cowan talk about the mwell side that beat the dabs is always fantastic, you just don't get that with league football.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post

Is it not possible to create the bus banter and alcohol atmosphere for a home game? Shaded had a suggestion to try to sell out the SE. Not sure how the particular bus that you are talking about works, or where you all sit in Dens but maybe there might be mileage in seeing if a local pub would do something special if there was a bus load of supporters wanting to meet up before Dens. Apologies if this is a rubbish idea. Might be something that should be considered for cup games. Social media seems to be able to help to get people together. Might there be merit in trying a 12 noon meeting time in a favourite pub for all your bus chums?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Is it not possible to create the bus banter and alcohol atmosphere for a home game? Shaded had a suggestion to try to sell out the SE. Not sure how the particular bus that you are talking about works, or where you all sit in Dens but maybe there might be mileage in seeing if a local pub would do something special if there was a bus load of supporters wanting to meet up before Dens. Apologies if this is a rubbish idea. Might be something that should be considered for cup games. Social media seems to be able to help to get people together. Might there be merit in trying a 12 noon meeting time in a favourite pub for all your bus chums?
    Oh bus chums........thought you were in line for a banning😎

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)