+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A question for those interested in...

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I would argue that support for independence is much more to do with what England is doing, rather than any tactical masterclass from the SNP. She’s got her mandate. She should use it or step aside
    There is nothing more I'd like than for her to use the mandate Mason, But how does she go about that when Johnson will not grant a section 30 order ?
    He and the establishment have learned lessons from 2014 Cameron thought the result would humiliate and kill off Scottish self determination. Support for Independence was at 28% in the polls at the time he agreed. Westminster had the most enormous and horrible shock when support for Independence grew to 45% during the campaign as many people for the first time in their lives heard the real arguments. !!! So never again will there be a route to Scottish Independence deemed legal by Westminster. 2014 will never be repeated. The UK will never willingly give up a third of its land, most of its fisheries, most of its mineral resources, its most marketable beef, soft fruit and whisky, most of its renewable energy potential, a ***** part of its military including its primary nuclear base, its best universities in a number of key fields including life sciences, its ready pool of intellectual and professional talent. So where does that leave us How would Mason89 use that mandate ? ..... We are now in unchartered waters but with support for Independence growing every day interesting times ahead thats for sure,

" In the meantime this clear change in strategy that Sturgeon has announced makes sense to me. Spending their entire time blaming all of Scotland's problems on big bad England/Tories simply hasn't worked over the last six years. The people they need to persuade are fed up off grievance politics, they want to see much more substance on how things would work in an Independent Scotland, so it's good to see that various papers will be produced in the coming months/years to address this."

I agree much more focus should be put on what an Independent Scotland would look like, But also its right to highlight the way Scotland has been ignored and treated in general if that's "grievance politics" it is what it is and people are aware and influenced by this... realpolitik inat min, I¬ honestly thought the White paper published before 2014 was comprehensive and a good template. Sure they never got the particular financial arguments across and mistakes were made currency being the most obvious but Andrew Wilson's Sustainable Growth Commission goes a long way to address that. And until an active campaign starts its very difficult to get "Joe Public " to engage with the arguments,

As for De Pifflil agreeing to a referendum see my reply to Mason and play a wee bit Devils Advocate and tell me how we circumnavigate the British establishments total fear of losing Scotland.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678