+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A question for those interested in...

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The mistake you’re making here is that you still think you can be persuaded. You’re not in that middle 20/30, so it’s possibly a wee bit dishonest arguing their case for them
    I'm so glad I have you to let me know what my political views are, I would be pretty lost otherwise.

Go on, have a go, why do you think the SNP keep saying the same stuff year after year when it's obviously not increasing support for independence?

Your political views are all over this thread.

I’d imagine the reason the support has plateaued is because there’s a huge number of folk that will never change their mind on this, yourself included. The support will increase in time, as the no surrender vote thins out. Country might be f*cked by then but hey ho, we can all console ourselves that we were right about Sturgeons haircut being worse than austerity & right wing nationalism

Your political views are all over this thread.

I’d imagine the reason the support has plateaued is because there’s a huge number of folk that will never change their mind on this, yourself included. The support will increase in time, as the no surrender vote thins out. Country might be f*cked by then but hey ho, we can all console ourselves that we were right about Sturgeons haircut being worse than austerity & right wing nationalism
    My political views are indeed all over not only this thread but also the General Election one and can be summed up by "a pox on all of their houses".

Specifically on indyref2, again I was pretty open with my views, and I stand by them, which is I would not want another referendum until Brexit plays itself out. I wish we had stayed in the EU but we didn't so I would not want to lump the huge uncertainty of Independence on top of the huge uncertainty of Brexit. There will be the right time for another referendum, it's just not now.

Specifically on this thread, rightly or wrongly I bit at Stewarty's post, which clearly contains a number of false claims, misleading statements or outright lies, but it's a forum so the whole point is to get a discussion going isn't it? You imagine that just because I pulled him up on his nonsense and had the temerity to criticise the SNP's strategy over the last 6 years then I must be in the "enemy camp". You're wrong but I'm sure you will believe what you want to believe. The only people, in my view, that are in the camp of core no voters can be seen at Ibrox and on Orange Lodge marches and the like. The rest of us, may have certain views today, but that doesn't mean that with the right argument can't be persuaded otherwise.

Please don't tell me that you are as delusional as those that believe that no voters are dying off and it's only a matter of time until yes "outlives" no as my opinion of your intelligence will diminish. Has nobody died in the last six years given 55/45 remains pretty much the same? Surely you must realise that as people get older they get more conservative (small c) and less willing to change so whilst those that die will on average be an older no voter, as time passes the middle aged yes voter morphs into an older no voter. C'mon, if this is your strategy then you are no better than the anti-English brigade.

It’s not people dying off that will swing it. It’ll be the young ‘uns reaching voting age. There’s an entire generation out there that don’t give a f*ck about the Union or read Commando comics.

It’s not people dying off that will swing it. It’ll be the young ‘uns reaching voting age. There’s an entire generation out there that don’t give a f*ck about the Union or read Commando comics.
    It's still the same flawed thinking I'm afraid as whilst the youngsters joining the voters roll will by a large majority vote yes (it was a 71/29 split last time for 16-17 year olds) as time passes everyone else on the voting roll is getting older and more conservative and some will change from yes to no as a result of this - it all neutralises itself I'm afraid.

Nah, that older Conservative generation will be the last. There certainly won’t be any sizeable shift from Yes to No. Also very difficult for unionists to hang onto what they’ve got, when Boris is running the circus & they can’t use the same lies as last time

Nah, that older Conservative generation will be the last. There certainly won’t be any sizeable shift from Yes to No. Also very difficult for unionists to hang onto what they’ve got, when Boris is running the circus & they can’t use the same lies as last time
    It’s conservative with a small c I am referring to - cautious people not Tories. Every older generation is conservative, that won’t change in the future - there are plenty of academic studies that back this up.

Roughly speaking 300,000 youngsters (mostly yes voting) have joined the voters roll in the six years and roughly 400,000 (mostly no voting) people have died in the same period yet we are still at 55/45. How do you explain that other than yes voters have switched to no as they get older and more averse to change?

There will be no need for Boris to use the same lies as last time as he won’t agree to a referendum in the next five years and he will make such a pigs ear of running the country he will be a one term PM (assuming Labour pick someone electable this time)

Ah but the new older generation is my lot.

99% pro independence ( in 1974) verses the spotty kid who didnae smoke.

Given your small c rationale, which is correct, that should now be down to around 95%

Still, given the nae Eastenders threat, that should reduce to about 45/55

So, stop trying for a vote and start blowing the buggers up.

Starting with Lizzie the bitch.

There will be no need for Boris to use the same lies as last time as he won’t agree to a referendum in the next five years and he will make such a pigs ear of running the country he will be a one term PM (assuming Labour pick someone electable this time)

Labour are f’ucked
    I have grave doubts about Boris’s ability to stay in power but it’s Tory next time too I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I have grave doubts about Boris’s ability to stay in power but it’s Tory next time too I’m afraid.
    Yep, Thatcher and Lawson wrote the blueprint 35 years ago.

Screw the peasants into the ground.

6 months before an election, borrow to fund a populist 'giveaway' budget, freeze the tax on booze, fags, fuel and VED to appeal to white van man. Nick a penny off NIC, boost tax thresholds, add in some gimmick like an extra £50 off hot tubs or something, and reap the votes.

Baaaaaa....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast