+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Krystian Bielik.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,008

    Krystian Bielik.

    So now we know. Bielik out for at least six months and clearly unavailable for the rest of the season.
    Bad luck on the player and hugely disappointing for fans who were looking forward to seeing the spine of a Derby side reinforced by the presence of both Rooney and Bielik operating together.
    Sadly it’s not to be...not till next August at least, but what are the implications for this season?

    One of the advantages of Bielik in the squad was that he could operate in both midfield and provide cover for central defence.
    That cover has now gone and with neither Davies nor Clarke having exemplary fitness records we suddenly look short in that area.
    Without Bielik the opportunity to play Rooney in a more advanced role is also reduced.

    Seems to be the story of this season...’the best laid plans of mice and men’ and all that...but where does that leave us regarding potential signings?
    Without Bielik - and with the added limitations that his absence brings - has any last lingering hope of making the top six finally gone?
    If it has does that alter this season’s ambitions in terms of signings this month?
    We’re almost certainly good enough - points deduction apart - to avoid going down...and almost certainly not good enough - without meaningful additions - to make the playoffs. Is there then any point in making expensive January signings or should we keep our powder dry for the summer and a concerted effort next season?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,601
    I think those hopes only lingered in your mind rA, elsewhere they were long extinguished!

    We probably need a cover fix at CB but beyond that, why invest in a notoriously bad time of the year for value for money acquisitions. Keep powder dry for investment in the summer unless the perfect player at a ridiculously cheap price comes along.

    Write the season off, blood some more kids, see if they really are the future during the mad march days with nothing to play for. This year, we can see what it's been like being Forest supporters for the last 5 years - whilst they experience our perennial failure in the playoff zone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So now we know. Bielik out for at least six months and clearly unavailable for the rest of the season.
    Bad luck on the player and hugely disappointing for fans who were looking forward to seeing the spine of a Derby side reinforced by the presence of both Rooney and Bielik operating together.
    Sadly it’s not to be...not till next August at least, but what are the implications for this season?

    One of the advantages of Bielik in the squad was that he could operate in both midfield and provide cover for central defence.
    That cover has now gone and with neither Davies nor Clarke having exemplary fitness records we suddenly look short in that area.
    Without Bielik the opportunity to play Rooney in a more advanced role is also reduced.

    Seems to be the story of this season...’the best laid plans of mice and men’ and all that...but where does that leave us regarding potential signings?
    Without Bielik - and with the added limitations that his absence brings - has any last lingering hope of making the top six finally gone?
    If it has does that alter this season’s ambitions in terms of signings this month?
    We’re almost certainly good enough - points deduction apart - to avoid going down...and almost certainly not good enough - without meaningful additions - to make the playoffs. Is there then any point in making expensive January signings or should we keep our powder dry for the summer and a concerted effort next season?
    RA just when we thought nothing else could happen this season The trouble with our midfield is neither Rooney, Bird, Holmes or Knight are ball winners ,they are intercepters ,can't tackle. There was never any chance of top six anyway . You don't get in the playoffs with one away win and one headed goal all season From what I see I certainly can't say we're to good to go down Pretty certain we won't be making any expensive signings were broke What's happened to the investment then

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think those hopes only lingered in your mind rA, elsewhere they were long extinguished!

    We probably need a cover fix at CB but beyond that, why invest in a notoriously bad time of the year for value for money acquisitions. Keep powder dry for investment in the summer unless the perfect player at a ridiculously cheap price comes along.

    Write the season off, blood some more kids, see if they really are the future during the mad march days with nothing to play for. This year, we can see what it's been like being Forest supporters for the last 5 years - whilst they experience our perennial failure in the playoff zone.
    We are eight points off the play offs, Geoff, with 57 still to play for.
    Prior to Bielik’s season ending injury and with the right signings I don’t think I was alone in harbouring ‘lingering hopes’ of the play offs, however unlikely.

    I absolutely see the sense of your last two paragraphs but if we collect another three points on Saturday and somehow end up just five points off sixth (I haven’t checked how the fixtures pan out) will you still be as negative/realistic/pessimistic (delete as appropriate)?

    Also have to wonder, when you look at what’s happening to Villa and Norwich this season, do we ever really want to go up to the land of ‘greed and VAR’? Oh to know the secret of Wolves’ and Sheffield Utd’s success.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 15-01-2020 at 12:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,601
    Getting numerically closer to the playoffs would not change my thoughts. We aren't good enough for the playoffs and if we somehow fluked our way there, we wouldn't be good enough to win them. if we did, then God help us. Furthermore, whilst only 8 points off, there are a vast number of teams filling that hinterland, most of whom may have similar aspirations.

    Far better to give Cocu a good chance for a long look at what we have got, before diving into the market for a proper run at it next season. Besides which, this fabled investment aint here yet whereas it might be in June. To me, finishing 10th or 18th is the same thing.

    Embrace our poor season, blame it on a run of injuries if it helps, but for god's sake lets not throw money at "panic buys" in order to finish higher mid table. Anyway, we are clearly going to win the FA Cup with our new talisman, so dont despair.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    We are eight points off the play offs, Geoff, with 57 still to play for.
    Prior to Bielik’s season ending injury and with the right signings I don’t think I was alone in harbouring ‘lingering hopes’ of the play offs, however unlikely.

    I absolutely see the sense of your last two paragraphs but if we collect another three points on Saturday and somehow end up just five points off sixth (I haven’t checked how the fixtures pan out) will you still be as negative/realistic/pessimistic (delete as appropriate)?

    Also have to wonder, when you look at what’s happening to Villa and Norwich this season, do we ever really want to go up to the land of ‘greed and VAR’? Oh to know the secret of Wolves’ and Sheffield Utd’s success.
    RA Sheff U success down to a manager who has a philosophy of how he wants to play and never wavers away from it , and they are very good at it and deserve all the success they are getting ,without the checkbook Wolves are different a billionaire owner and the full time services of the biggest agent in Europe . They got by loaning top European players and dubious ways of paying them Don't worry yourself about the playoffs it's not going to happen . Unless maybe we sign ,Bale,Aguero and Sala in this window

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,842
    Shinnie can tackle when fit. How far away from fitness is he?

    Rooney, Bird, Holmes or Knight can't tackle? I've seen them all do exactly that. Rooney hasn't done a lot of it for us yet. Knight most certainly has done, Holmes does but not always that well. Bird, I agree with whoever wrote that.

    With regard to incoming, noises from the club seem to indicate a CH and a wide player. The wide player might be Uwakwe from Chelsea as has been rumoured all over the place. However, he is expected to be the next best thing at Chelsea and we would have no chance of getting him permanently so, for me, the question is why would we go for another wide player who almost exclusively cuts inside? Centre Half? If we aren't going to sign a permanent one I'd settle for the two incumbent players with Wis and Foz as cover. At a push we also have Hudds......

    One headed goal all season? When did we get that? I can't recall a single one.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,008
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA Sheff U success down to a manager who has a philosophy of how he wants to play and never wavers away from it , and they are very good at it and deserve all the success they are getting ,without the checkbook Wolves are different a billionaire owner and the full time services of the biggest agent in Europe . They got by loaning top European players and dubious ways of paying them Don't worry yourself about the playoffs it's not going to happen . Unless maybe we sign ,Bale,Aguero and Sala in this window
    I’m not worried, mista, well not about football anyway...but I’m not defeatist either and prior to this latest set back I’d have said it wasn’t out of the question.
    There’s always one club who makes a late, second half of the season, dash for the line. Last year it was Villa and the year before...Fulham but look what’s happening/happened to both of them.
    I’d love us to be in the position that Wolves or the Blades are in now but it doesn’t seem likely any time soon. They deserve it and good luck to them but it is only football.

    P.S. Knight against Charlton, MA. Not the ‘cleanest’ of headers it has to be said.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m not worried, mista, well not about football anyway...but I’m not defeatist either and prior to this latest set back I’d have said it wasn’t out of the question.
    There’s always one club who makes a late, second half of the season, dash for the line. Last year it was Villa and the year before...Fulham but look what’s happening/happened to both of them.
    I’d love us to be in the position that Wolves or the Blades are in now but it doesn’t seem likely any time soon. They deserve it and good luck to them but it is only football.

    P.S. Knight against Charlton, MA. Not the ‘cleanest’ of headers it has to be said.
    Yes, almost the most recent goal but one I had forgotten. There's a football quiz question for the future...........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,842
    If I may, I'd like to take this discussion on a little further. Mainly down to injuries and suspension we finished up with a handful of our own on the park and, after a few lacklustre "performances" from the senior players, we found Lowe, Knight and Bird putting in a shift of what I refer to as "givafuquedness" that infected their teammates. That started at Reading and despite the 3-0 loss (2 penalties) that was the happiest I can ever remember being after a Rams defeat. Was there finally light at the end of the tunnel?

    After that we had a back to normal lacklustre 1-1 draw at Wigan and Bogle had possibly his worst game for us. Lowe, Knight and Bird were our better players that day.

    Then we beat Charlton 2-1 at Pride Park. Bielik got a red after 17 minutes when we were already the better side. The 10 men played well. Worked hard for each other. The LKB triumvirate worked well together and their older teammates decided to join in.

    Then 2-1 at home to Barnsley in Rooney's first game. Another deserved win and the young tricky trio were again at the forefront.

    Next up was 9 changes at Palace in the Cup. A deserved passage to the 4th round. We started Bogle, Knight, Whittaker and Sibley. Bird replaced Knight on 75 minutes.

    Most recent was the game of 2 halves at Boro. Awful 1st half devoid of the passion of most of the previous 4 or 5 games. 2nd half we push Rooney 15 yards further forward, Holmes and the young uns play their hearts out and we deserved the draw.

    It's there in the locker. We can have this charge up the table. Boro were on the back of 4 straight League wins and a Cup draw with Spurs.

    What next?

    Bogle, Lowe, Knight and Bird to continue to start games would be my first move. Whittaker and Sibley on the bench, coming on and getting the minutes they need. Fill the rest of the team with senior players and have them take the lead from the kids. They are our future. Having Rooney there to coach, cajole, criticise and congratulate them will help them no end. The rebuild starts here.

    Now, where's that sofa I need to get behind?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •