+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT education Vs Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Interesting point, both are equally important. At the outset as Frog refers too the certificates get your feet through the door, but from personal experience people with lower qualifications but with more drive and experience will flourish more.
    A lot is down to chance.

I like to think that I've taken more than most in work as well as life.

Thankfully Thatcher made decisions that effected my direction and I got on my bike and found work.

I also know people who have never changed the companies that they work for and refused promotion but they'll have a better pension than me.

A guy once said to me that the world needs plodders to keep things going.

60% of people are in a post that's too much for them. We all know people who are out of their depth.

Experience is more important.

With some arts degrees people actually earn more if they don't have a degree, because they've got three years head start and three years experience.

The people with those degrees never catch up.

Degrees in STEM subjects then it's a different matter.

It's also important where the degree is from, a History degree from Oxbridge might get you a start in the City, a history degree from Bogstandard Ex-Poly and you'll be lucky to get a job in a call centre.

Common sense trumps both.

That's why I'd never buy a Renault car

If two 23 year olds were going for the same job, both wanting the same money, one had a degree, the other had 5 years experience in that line of work, I would probably go for the experienced one.

However, fast forward 10 or 15 years, then the guy with the degree and 10 or 15 years experience would have the upper hand in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Common sense trumps both.

That's why I'd never buy a Renault car
    Although my heart agrees with you my head was educated against when I was on a health and safety course.

You can't realistically accept that everyone has the common experiences so you can't globalise the term.

I know I'm being pedantic but it's true.

I know it's not horses for courses but I have 2 young uns. One has just got her bachelors degree in business management and a job on the back of it. She hasn't got a massive university debt because it's free here.

The second is just getting ready to take part of her baccalaureate. By the end of next year she'll have finished that. Then she'll go to uni.

Seriously without any basic qualifications in France you struggle to get a driving licence.

To change direction isn't considered unless you know the people.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I know it's not horses for courses but I have 2 young uns. One has just got her bachelors degree in business management and a job on the back of it. She hasn't got a massive university debt because it's free here.

The second is just getting ready to take part of her baccalaureate. By the end of next year she'll have finished that. Then she'll go to uni.

Seriously without any basic qualifications in France you struggle to get a driving licence.

To change direction isn't considered unless you know the people.
    Thats fantastic Frog, you must be so proud

I don’t think either of the two have inherent value.
    Personally I value effort and the willingness to take opportunities that are there.
    I value the willingness of an individual to be the ‘best’ they can be.
    Being intelligent or not is mainly pre written so is out of an individual’s control but experience comes to those who reach out for it.
    It is also important how an individual behaves to achieve that experience.
    I give little value to an experienced high flyer who has got to the top by trampling and climbing on others to get to their high position.
    A good opening post from scum and I would not expect anything less.
    Scum is an interesting example of my points...a man with a troubled family history as explained previously by himself on here, a man who could have wallowed in all his problems which were not of his creation but he looked for opportunities as few as they were,worked hard,took those opportunities without feeling sorry for himself and it helped make him the man he is....That’s what I admire,the journey not the end point.

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    I don’t think either of the two have inherent value.
    Personally I value effort and the willingness to take opportunities that are there.
    I value the willingness of an individual to be the ‘best’ they can be.
    Being intelligent or not is mainly pre written so is out of an individual’s control but experience comes to those who reach out for it.
    It is also important how an individual behaves to achieve that experience.
    I give little value to an experienced high flyer who has got to the top by trampling and climbing on others to get to their high position.
    A good opening post from scum and I would not expect anything less.
    Scum is an interesting example of my points...a man with a troubled family history as explained previously by himself on here, a man who could have wallowed in all his problems which were not of his creation but he looked for opportunities as few as they were,worked hard,took those opportunities without feeling sorry for himself and it helped make him the man he is....That’s what I admire,the journey not the end point.
    I appreciate that Kempo. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Thats fantastic Frog, you must be so proud
    Indeed I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast