+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A serious newspaper ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,327

    A serious newspaper ?

    At least the Grauniad likes to think it is, continually attacking the 'right-wing' tabloids and the Daily Mail in particular. This is what it says about itself,

    "With a new Conservative government taking office, the Guardianís independent, measured, authoritative reporting has never been so v-i-t-a-l. These are turbulent, decade-defining times. Whatever lies ahead for us all, the Guardian will be with you Ė investigating, disentangling and interrogating. So our readers can make up their minds based on fact, not fiction.

    And this is it's it's v-i-t-a-l, measured, authoritative, reporting on Boris's Breakfast Show interview, especially on the decade-defining issue of our time....veganism.

    "VEGANISM

    What he said: ďI had thought of it but it requires so much concentration. I take my hat off to vegans who can handle it. You canít eat cheese, can you, if youíre a vegan? I mean thatís just a crime against cheese lovers,Ē he said.

    What he didnít say: the word vegan properly. Insisted on pronouncing it ve-GAN."


    So that's what really matters to the woke lefty scribblers at the Grauniad, how our PM pronounces the word vegan.

    Can you still get the Beano ??

  2. #2
    That bloody rag is becoming nearly as precocious as you sinkov.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,607
    Personally i don't read ANY newspapers or magazines for information - certainly not on politics.

    Every one is driving their own agenda - including the Guardian and the Mail.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    That bloody rag is becoming nearly as precocious as you sinkov.
    Don't you mean pretentious BT, I am from the Ribble Valley you know.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Personally i don't read ANY newspapers or magazines for information - certainly not on politics.

    Every one is driving their own agenda - including the Guardian and the Mail.
    I do check out the Grauniad website two or three times a week, I like to know what the loony left are up to. In this case it seems they're concerned about the way Boris pronounces vegan. About par for the course for lefties.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,827
    For those who remember and read the Manchester Guardian the dilettante Grauniad of today does not even stand comparison. If Owen Jones is its flagship political commentator it is doomed to sink.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,327
    It's in a sad state Outwood, I can remember times in the 50s when my dad would buy it just because Neville Cardus was covering a Lancashire game at Old Trafford. Now it's Jones, Monbiot and Polly Tuscany.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Don't you mean pretentious BT, I am from the Ribble Valley you know.
    I think I got it right first time sinkov. I seem to recall you are an Old Accrington Grammar School boy having developed certain abilities or inclinations at an earlier age than is usual or expected.

    I've since heard you described as a "precocious, solitary boy" when you were young. Pretentious too no doubt? Still, I'm looking forward to meeting you tomorrow though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,327
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I think I got it right first time sinkov. I seem to recall you are an Old Accrington Grammar School boy having developed certain abilities or inclinations at an earlier age than is usual or expected.

    I've since heard you described as a "precocious, solitary boy" when you were young. Pretentious too no doubt? Still, I'm looking forward to meeting you tomorrow though.
    Go on then, precocious would probably cover it, I sailed through the 11 plus, but at Accy Grammar it was downhill all the way until I left after five years with just one O level. See you tomorrow mon ami.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •