+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leadership

Leadership

I was reading an article yesterday on why men make poor leaders ( sometimes). One paragraph read as follows and I couldnt help but think. Aha Hardy & Reedtz! What do you think!? What I think is that karma is a bitch and we are now in very good hands.

The third and final reason for the rise of incompetent men is our inability to resist the allure of narcissistic individuals — people with grandiose visions that tap into our own narcissism. We’ve always admired famous people, but our admiration for people who admire themselves or are famous for just being famous has been rising for decades. At this rate, future generations will look back at Kim and Kanye and say, “Whoa! Weren’t they modest?”

Much of the popular advice that focuses on helping people become leaders nurtures and promotes a narcissistic mindset: “Love yourself, no matter what”, “Don’t worry about what people think of you” or “If you think you’re great, you are.” Unfortunately, this creates a surplus of leaders who are unaware of their limitations and unjustifiably pleased with themselves. They see leadership as an entitlement and they lack empathy and self-control, so they end up acting without integrity and indulging in reckless risks. In contrast, the best leaders keep their narcissism in check. They care a lot about other people, including what they think of them, and they spend a great deal of time worrying about their reputation, which is why there are very few scandals about them.

hi QP,

I thought AH was very nearly a great Chairman for Notts County. A local man, a fan and prepared to risk his own wealth to follow a dream. I did worry about some of his comments that revealed the egotistical side to his character. I seem to remember him saying something like "he was so proud that he signed a Liverpool player". I choose this example because my own view, that was the problem. selecting the right players to sign. The fans would get excited every July/August by the latest glut signings (of released players). Most of whom would go on to show why they had been released.
    The early signs now are promising, new leaders who hopefully carefully select each signing and only need to add a handful of new players each year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    hi QP,

I thought AH was very nearly a great Chairman for Notts County. A local man, a fan and prepared to risk his own wealth to follow a dream. I did worry about some of his comments that revealed the egotistical side to his character. I seem to remember him saying something like "he was so proud that he signed a Liverpool player". I choose this example because my own view, that was the problem. selecting the right players to sign. The fans would get excited every July/August by the latest glut signings (of released players). Most of whom would go on to show why they had been released.
    The early signs now are promising, new leaders who hopefully carefully select each signing and only need to add a handful of new players each year.
    Unfortunately we were between the devil and the deep blue sea (cue pound pie popping up to defend) when he rocked up. He exhibited basically all of the attributes mentioned above as poor leadership. We had little choice but to accept him when he arrived and given our perilous situation he was greeted as a savior etc etc. He left the club in a FAR worse state than he found it in save a lick of paint here and there. I don't think he came even close to nearly being a great chairman. He was a complete failure in every aspect of his tenure other than selling the club to what appears to be a pair of safe hands. Possibly even worse than the previous one!

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    hi QP,

I did worry about some of his comments that revealed the egotistical side to his character.
    I was accused of judging him too harshly and too quickly at the time of his takeover. It was his ego that bothered me. I pretty much judged him back then on one thing - which was a sign to me that his ego wasn't in check. His twitter handle "Big al".... Its a d!ckhead name. Ironic that his twitter antics helped to bring him down.

I was quite prepared to suffer Hardy's ego if it meant success on the pitch.

The seminal point in Hardy's leadership was when he went to court for speeding. He genuinely seemed to believe that he would get a special treatment because he was such a busy individual. We all can get carried away with our own importance but see how quickly we're replaced and forgotten after resignation, dismissal or death.

Hardy wasn't really a leader though, was he? Nobody promoted him, he was an owner and responsible to no-one but himself. Whatever he wanted to do with Notts he did and didn't have to answer to anyone.

Leaders are promoted to a leadership position within a hierarchy and need a certain quality to stay there. The "Peter Principle" states that within a hierarchy a person who is capable at his job will be promoted again and again till he reaches a certain level or a position where he is incompetent, and there he stays.

Was AH incompetent or out of his depth or should he not have been there in the first place? Or to put it another way, If Notts County were run as a hierarchy which level would he be at?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Hardy wasn't really a leader though, was he? Nobody promoted him, he was an owner and responsible to no-one but himself. Whatever he wanted to do with Notts he did and didn't have to answer to anyone.

Leaders are promoted to a leadership position within a hierarchy and need a certain quality to stay there. The "Peter Principle" states that within a hierarchy a person who is capable at his job will be promoted again and again till he reaches a certain level or a position where he is incompetent, and there he stays.

Was AH incompetent or out of his depth or should he not have been there in the first place? Or to put it another way, If Notts County were run as a hierarchy which level would he be at?
    Collecting the money at the turnstiles
    Seriously I welcomed Alan Hardy as our saviour. Trouble was he couldn't take advice. He surrounded himself with yes men and was completely up himself. He was also greedy a common trait in big business. I forgave him a lot because I do believe he wanted Notts to succeed because he was a local supporter but through it all they were just a means to an end to him.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I was reading an article yesterday on why men make poor leaders ( sometimes). One paragraph read as follows and I couldnt help but think. Aha Hardy & Reedtz! What do you think!? What I think is that karma is a bitch and we are now in very good hands.

The third and final reason for the rise of incompetent men is our inability to resist the allure of narcissistic individuals — people with grandiose visions that tap into our own narcissism. We’ve always admired famous people, but our admiration for people who admire themselves or are famous for just being famous has been rising for decades. At this rate, future generations will look back at Kim and Kanye and say, “Whoa! Weren’t they modest?”

Much of the popular advice that focuses on helping people become leaders nurtures and promotes a narcissistic mindset: “Love yourself, no matter what”, “Don’t worry about what people think of you” or “If you think you’re great, you are.”

Unfortunately, this creates a surplus of leaders who are unaware of their limitations and unjustifiably pleased with themselves. They see leadership as an entitlement and they lack empathy and self-control, so they end up acting without integrity and indulging in reckless risks........................

The last (part) paragraph was written with Boris in mind surely?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post

'Leaders are promoted to a leadership position within a hierarchy and need a certain quality to stay there'.

Not sure I agree with your post here. Yes AH was an owner, but as an owner you still have to be a leader. You have to lead by example in every way. He may not have led well, but he was a leader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast