+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T what song reminds you of your street or neighbourhood?

With so many on here expressing strong opinions that people taking responsibility for their life choices and outcomes, people apparently haven't half chosen to live in some ****holes

Feck me the usa has gone down hill since trump got in or is it just since IBS moved there?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    With so many on here expressing strong opinions that people taking responsibility for their life choices and outcomes, people apparently haven't half chosen to live in some ****holes
    As it says in the song:

Broken glass everywhere
    People pissin' on the stairs, you know they just don't care
    I can't take the smell, can't take the noise
    Got no money to move out, I guess I got no choice
    In London for example unless you're loaded you have to live in a craphole.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    As it says in the song:

In London for example unless you're loaded you have to live in a craphole.
    I'm not loaded, neither are people on our street. Just live in a semi that I bought as a wreck and did up. But yes, I agree that unless you earn reasonably well, your options are very, very limited in London. But the words in the song relate to most cheap flats, high rises and estates throughout the country and are very powerful. But on here most would normally blame the character in the song, not (as the writer intended) the political choices that create more of these circumstances than might otherwise be the case.

Shame that you can't really identify with the message that the writer intended. But the song is great nonetheless.

Says it all really.

Dean Parrish - Bricks, Broken Bottles And Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I'm not loaded, neither are people on our street. Just live in a semi that I bought as a wreck and did up. But yes, I agree that unless you earn reasonably well, your options are very, very limited in London. But the words in the song relate to most cheap flats, high rises and estates throughout the country and are very powerful. But on here most would normally blame the character in the song, not (as the writer intended) the political choices that create more of these circumstances than might otherwise be the case.

Shame that you can't really identify with the message that the writer intended. But the song is great nonetheless.
    It's also a shame that you don't recognise how capitalism has lifted millions of people out of poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    never thought a song released in 1982 would be applicable to where I live today. But the lyrics are absolutely spot on.

https://youtu.be/4kjeWGQ175g

What best describes your locality?

It's also a shame that you don't recognise how capitalism has lifted millions of people out of poverty.

That's a rather simplistic view

That graph reflects the industrial revolution and mechanised production , better farming methods, new inventions, development of medical care, etc - not just capitalism. How many are still living below the poverty line in Britain, or starving worldwide? Millions .
    Last edited by mikemiller; 17-01-2020 at 09:41 PM.

I didn't make any comment on capitalism. I would keep capitalism within a social democracy. But that's nowt to do with what I said, which is that your political stance would be a huge disappointment to the writer of the song you're referring to. He would hate your politics, the song is the absolute mirror opposite to the politics that you seem to stand for. That's the point I was making.

Great tune though.

Raging I think you have a very lopsided view of "the message".

The genius of the song, l ike all great art, is multifaceted and works on many different levels. It raises more questions than answers.

To quote F Scott Fitzgerald "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function"

"The message" is an inherent critique of Capitalism but to ignore the message of individual responsibility in the song, does it a disservice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast