+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microcosm v Macroscosm

Microcosm v Macroscosm

Notts County's plight is well documented and yet still baffling. Why are we perennially, well, cr@p and underachieving? We've had good managers, players, budgets, owners and facilities yet somehow we have found ourselves in the basement of the football pyramid. Well, not quite, but you catch the drift. The single factor in all of the this that hasn't changed is us, the fans.

Through no fault of our own really we are second best to Forest in this city and have been for some time now, it's sad to say but it's pointless denying it. Barring some biblical sequence of events that status quo isn't going to change anytime soon, an this in itself is a big mental hurdle that we have to leap in order to bring sustained success to Meadow Lane. We have been in Forests shadow now for so long in fact that it has now sunk into our subconscious that we are a second rate club, which has created an inferiorty complex amongst the club.

When a 'big' club, or well supported club play Notts it's almost like we automatically accept we are not as good as them, or "we'll struggle to beat them, or not worthy of the win....the same goes for when we play on the television, we just expect to be rubbish now. We have a collective low self esteem so to speak, directly from being second best (and reminded of it so often) to the lot over the river. Look at other teams who have 'big brothers' in the same city. Everton, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Luton, Bristol Rovers etc etc....they struggle the same as us I believe.

This is my point regarding the Microcosm and Macrocosm. Consider us, the fans, as the Microcosm and the club as a whole as the Macrocosm. In theory, the Microcosm and everything part of it directly influences the Macrocosm. Although some of us may well be positive, optimistic people individually, as a whole fan base in general (or Microcosm in this instance) we are largely subdued, and pessimistic...we have an inferiorty complex to perceived bigger clubs.

It is akin to the theory that 'like attracts like'. A club with an inferiorty complex, like ours, subconsciously attracts constant failure, drama and upheavel because that's what we've come to accept and believe what deserves to happen to us. It is a vicious circle really and one that can only be rectified (if true of course) through conscious individual effort to be more positive in ourselves and start to recognise that Notts do deserve success....and when enough of us can do this we will reach a critical mass....and the status quo can then be challenged!

Maybe we all just need to be a bit more like soccerman 😮😬

Don't worry. We'll go up as Champions and be in the Championship in 4 seasons from now while the Red ones fall to League Two.

COYP

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Notts County's plight is well documented and yet still baffling. Why are we perennially, well, cr@p and underachieving? We've had good managers, players, budgets, owners and facilities yet somehow we have found ourselves in the basement of the football pyramid. Well, not quite, but you catch the drift. The single factor in all of the this that hasn't changed is us, the fans.

Through no fault of our own really we are second best to Forest in this city and have been for some time now, it's sad to say but it's pointless denying it. Barring some biblical sequence of events that status quo isn't going to change anytime soon, an this in itself is a big mental hurdle that we have to leap in order to bring sustained success to Meadow Lane. We have been in Forests shadow now for so long in fact that it has now sunk into our subconscious that we are a second rate club, which has created an inferiorty complex amongst the club.

When a 'big' club, or well supported club play Notts it's almost like we automatically accept we are not as good as them, or "we'll struggle to beat them, or not worthy of the win....the same goes for when we play on the television, we just expect to be rubbish now. We have a collective low self esteem so to speak, directly from being second best (and reminded of it so often) to the lot over the river. Look at other teams who have 'big brothers' in the same city. Everton, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Luton, Bristol Rovers etc etc....they struggle the same as us I believe.

This is my point regarding the Microcosm and Macrocosm. Consider us, the fans, as the Microcosm and the club as a whole as the Macrocosm. In theory, the Microcosm and everything part of it directly influences the Macrocosm. Although some of us may well be positive, optimistic people individually, as a whole fan base in general (or Microcosm in this instance) we are largely subdued, and pessimistic...we have an inferiorty complex to perceived bigger clubs.

It is akin to the theory that 'like attracts like'. A club with an inferiorty complex, like ours, subconsciously attracts constant failure, drama and upheavel because that's what we've come to accept and believe what deserves to happen to us. It is a vicious circle really and one that can only be rectified (if true of course) through conscious individual effort to be more positive in ourselves and start to recognise that Notts do deserve success....and when enough of us can do this we will reach a critical mass....and the status quo can then be challenged!

Maybe we all just need to be a bit more like soccerman ����
    Who are the clubs in the same city as Portsmouth and Luton? Do you mean Southsea Bronx FC and 61?

I was thinking of Watford and Southampton...though I know they're not same city per se!

By and large, we’ve been pretty rubbish for the whole of this millennium. I don’t think it’s much to do with the fans though, who to me seem quite a patient and optimistic bunch (don’t laugh).

We’ve had a series of terrible owners appointing terrible managers making terrible decisions. The hope at the moment is that when clubs our size eventually get back in the league they usually have the momentum to get up into at least League 1. Of course, whether you think Ardley is the man to do that is a different debate.

Maybe we all just need to be a bit more like soccerman ����
    Very deep thinking here TSANHO

I agree with you.
    We do need to be more positive.
    We need to encourage others to come along. 2000 more a match at say average £10 is another £500k.
    We need younger fans.
    We could support the club more by buying merchandise, programmes, food, drink, raffle tickets etc.
    Join lifeline and the supporters club and subscribe to Pie Player.
    Sponsor a players' kit.
    If we own a business then run an advert in the programme or on the new scoreboards (or persuade our boss to).
    Buy our grandkids a mascot package or upgrade our matchday to include a meal.

Looking back at the above list, I think I could do a bit better. I will do a bit better.

Perhaps, (dare I say it) we should even be prepared to pay a bit more for our tickets next year.
    Unfortunately, money in football is what really seems to count nowadays.

Most of all though, we should stop moaning, be more positively vocal at the match and help create a better atmosphere.

Apart from the Sirrel years we've mostly been a third rate club since our formation. This is just a new low. If someone drew a graph with our average I'd guess that would be 3/4 of the way down.

We've had successive poor owners since Pavis who've been impatient and impetuous, sacking far too many managers and turning over far too many players. It's led to us haemorrhaging cash as the owners dreams turn into massive debt piles.
    We've also had a proven crook in Munto man and a man I consider crooked but got away with it in Peter Storrie. Most of our problems started with him , he knew better but bankrupted us anyway then scarpered to Portsmouth and did the same to them.
    We've been playing catch up since then.
    I'm really hoping that the Reedtz brothers continue to quietly and seemingly efficiently keep us moving in the right direction and hopefully Ardley is the right man to help them.

An excellent essay from TSANHO, much of which I agree with. However, I do not accept that we deserve success; that has to be earned.
    We have had too many poor managers, too many dreadful chairmen - with odd exceptions - and as a long term consequence of prolonged periods of both, we now find ourselves in the fifth tier of football. However, I do not believe all is lost. We now seem to have fallen on our feet with owners who are putting the club before their own ego’s. We have begun to show some fight and sense of pride in the club once again, and perhaps most of all, supporters who genuinely care and week after week, both home and away, show their support tangibly.
    Let us do as 19955pie suggests, and be more positive about our wonderful club. After all, we have been around since 1862.

Maybe we all just need to be a bit more like soccerman 
    Mainly bad but sometimes good, I just support Notts County , always have and always will.I don't care what Forest have nor do I try and overthink things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast