+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Training

Training

Well we have had all week and this weekend to practice the art of defending corners. Pulis would have a field day playing against us at the moment.

I would always leave a fast winger on the half way line, then they will have to mark him usually 2 defenders. Cuts down bodies in the box, plus chance of a quick break away.

We should also try to stop the ball coming in as easily as it does. On some of the corners recently the opposition pass out to another player who then crosses. Lets get 2 men over at the corner to match the men they have there.

Same age old problem with no managers ever willing to try the best trick like my old man used to in kids Sunday football.

Leave both your wide men and your centre forward on the half way line as that forces the other team to leave at least three or four people back to mark them.

It also means there’s less chaos in your own area and it’s easier for your defenders to attack the ball.

I’m amazed league managers never try this.

Get the shivering wreck between the sticks to come out for the ball. Simples eh!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Same age old problem with no managers ever willing to try the best trick like my old man used to in kids Sunday football.

Leave both your wide men and your centre forward on the half way line as that forces the other team to leave at least three or four people back to mark them.

It also means there’s less chaos in your own area and it’s easier for your defenders to attack the ball.

I’m amazed league managers never try this.
    I remember what willie johnston did on corners. he was always wide of the box waiting for one of his defenders to head the ball on and then he was off on the attack from a defending corner. I used to do the same after watching him and it works a treat. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by rambaggie View Post
    Well we have had all week and this weekend to practice the art of defending corners. Pulis would have a field day playing against us at the moment.
    I do hope so as my Stoke supporting mate assures me their defenders all range between 6ft and a bit and 6ft and a lot.

Not much height outside of our centre backs. Might explain why we concede so many from set pieces. So don't give away silly free kicks, keep it on the floor and play em off the park.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)