+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOM v Cheltenham

It’s in the club’s DNA to have everyone back at corners, like only FBs can take throwing and we are rubbish at them! I’ve only been going to Gresty Road since 1987 and the only exception to the corner thing was when the Icelander was manager - no wonder he didn’t last!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    It’s in the club’s DNA to have everyone back at corners, like only FBs can take throwing and we are rubbish at them! I’ve only been going to Gresty Road since 1987 and the only exception to the corner thing was when the Icelander was manager - no wonder he didn’t last!
    I remember asking Dario the same question at HT about three or four years ago why we didn't leave one or two players up near the half way line and he shook his head and said every team does what we do. He was just the Director of Football LOL...I also remember we used to have Dean Ashton and Steve Jones doing exactly that and scoring many goals in the process. Its just logical to anyone with a brain that if you leave players up near the half way line they have to leave more than we have ie three if we have two up etc. It also gives more room for the GK to get access to the ball.

Gosh MSB! I totally agree with you!!!!!
    As for packing the area, to my mind it causes more problems than it solves. Apart from the 'second phase' stuff mentioned above, it actually hinders the goalie and... if it's so technically advantageous, why have we conceded so many goals when the scorer is unchallenged???? You'd think cramming people into a limited space would prevent attacking players from having room to manoeuvre, but how many times have we conceded to an unmarked player only 6 or 7 yards out?
    I don't if it's been mentioned before but perhaps at the next open meeting with the club it can be a question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12