+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Great support

Great support

Dee fan here.

So ****ing jealous of that support last night.

Not so much in terms of numbers (although good) but the backing was immense.

How have Motherwell managed to be so engaged with their support? Apart from winning games anything in particular?

We had 1,350 fans there last night but we alwys take a big support to cup games. Don't know why; just tradition I suppose. I was shocked at you home support last night - presumably fans are disillusioned at the way the club is run? Dundee fans deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    We had 1,350 fans there last night but we alwys take a big support to cup games. Don't know why; just tradition I suppose. I was shocked at you home support last night - presumably fans are disillusioned at the way the club is run? Dundee fans deserve better.
    As I say constant support rather than numbers that impressed but only old firm, hibs, hearts and sheep would have brought more from out of town.

Our support is collapsing I'm afraid to say. Mixture of ageing support, expensive football, dire dire atmosphere at games, younger fans being hounded out, total state the stadium is in and a clueless board and inexperienced manager.

It was the lowest home support in our history, 127 years.

Has your wider support always been accepting of your ultras (if that's what they are called) has the club always been accepting?

Just to add...."dundee fans deserve better" is something that has been moaned about for thirty plus years at Dens but when numbers drop to the levels they did last night I'm not so sure.

£20 has the same value in Mwell as Dundee, I'm pretty certain it was Saturday night in Motherwell as well and last time I was thru there you got BBC tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Just to add...."dundee fans deserve better" is something that has been moaned about for thirty plus years at Dens but when numbers drop to the levels they did last night I'm not so sure.

£20 has the same value in Mwell as Dundee, I'm pretty certain it was Saturday night in Motherwell as well and last time I was thru there you got BBC tv.
    Nice to hear from you Sir. A few points for your consideration;

1. We would've actually brought over 2,000 had it not been for the silly KO time TBH. But that's TV for you these days.
    2. Our engagement with the club/Board is helped by the fact we're now a 'fan-owned' club a'la The Well Society. We've also got a lifelong fan - Alan Burrows - as our CEO; he deserves great credit for all that he does to acknowledge supporter input and any gripes. Transparency goes a long way these days in the cloudy world of fitbaw.
    3. Our 'Ultras' aka 'Well Bois' ... on the whole a load of young lads n lassies aged 17-25. They're really invested in the club, and over the past cuppla generations their parents have been Well fans and not people who hopped on buses to to go to the East or South of Glasgow to support green or blue. Being of the young variety though, they do sometimes get carried away and involve themselves in some silly stuff. But, on the whole, they're a credit to the Club and their passion and enthusiasm is superb.

A shame to hear that you reckon you're on the slide as a club.

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Nice to hear from you Sir. A few points for your consideration;

1. We would've actually brought over 2,000 had it not been for the silly KO time TBH. But that's TV for you these days.
    2. Our engagement with the club/Board is helped by the fact we're now a 'fan-owned' club a'la The Well Society. We've also got a lifelong fan - Alan Burrows - as our CEO; he deserves great credit for all that he does to acknowledge supporter input and any gripes. Transparency goes a long way these days in the cloudy world of fitbaw.
    3. Our 'Ultras' aka 'Well Bois' ... on the whole a load of young lads n lassies aged 17-25. They're really invested in the club, and over the past cuppla generations their parents have been Well fans and not people who hopped on buses to to go to the East or South of Glasgow to support green or blue. Being of the young variety though, they do sometimes get carried away and involve themselves in some silly stuff. But, on the whole, they're a credit to the Club and their passion and enthusiasm is superb.

A shame to hear that you reckon you're on the slide as a club.

Cheers mate.
    Cheers for the response.

Fan owned went quite badly for us mega in fighting and the blazer seemed more important to those in situ than doing what was right.

We signed over our ground at that time and now pay quite a hefty rent that would probably make fan ownership near impossible in the future hence why the yanks project for a new ground. (It won't happen)

Your point 3 is what I was after.

I very much suspected this was the case, invested in the club of their parents and grandparents.

Our younger fans have had the traditional home end neutralised by the council/police aided and abetted by Dundee themselves.

It was under threat of closure and is now all ticket only for all games, it's killed it stone dead.

St mirren when I was there last year also seemed to have an enthusiastic younger element who created a cracking atmosphere.

No passion, no game as far as I'm concerned.

Surely your Board see that as well though? As an outsider / cynical observer ... could the purposely be trying to strangle the life out of the club and have designs on selling the land? Sorry to be a 'doom' monger but it did cross my mind when I saw how low the support was last night. Me and my mates were truly shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Surely your Board see that as well though? As an outsider / cynical observer ... could the purposely be trying to strangle the life out of the club and have designs on selling the land? Sorry to be a 'doom' monger but it did cross my mind when I saw how low the support was last night. Me and my mates were truly shocked.
    The Americans don't own the land, it's complicated.

It's owned locally by an ex dufc director who has been good to both clubs in the past, basically he bought the ground and let us rent it back on favourable terms initially.

The Americans promised to buy it back....never materialised.

Our Americans have actually spent a fair bit but don't seem to want to engage with the fans or get history or tradition.

Our stadium manager can't understand why people may get a tad excited at certain games and our American CEO just keeps on making one stupid decision after another with managers.

Every provincial club goes thru ups and downs but this is a very serious decline in attendances and abject apathy among the fan base.

It just seems to me one or two clubs are bucking the trend and encouraging noise, atmosphere and engagement and from what I can see Mwell top the list.

Dundee have always struck me as curious as they seemed to avoid the usual provincial cycle and be permanently on a 'down'. When i got into football it was Angus Cook in charge and it's gone downhill from there! Even when you were good with Sara, nemzadze, canniggia etc it was obviously built on quicksand. (As an aside, Motherwell fans often lament David Clarkson missin an absolute sitter to put us 3-1 up in the 2003 Scottish Cup semi - we'd probably have lost anyway but had we held on you'd have been massive favourites in the final).

As for us, we have obviously made some better choices but we've also been ridiculously lucky at times, avoiding relegation, Boyle's Post-Admin generosity, Hutchinson likewise and folk like Alan Burrows clearly don't grow on trees. Our fan ownership model has been nudged along gradually but hasn't yet faced a real crisis - it's only then we'll see how sustainable it is.

2003, forgot it was Mwell in other semi.

The width of the post, Duffy picking burchill afore novo cost us the cup.

Rangers were dead on their feet an equaliser to take it into extra time and we would have won......but if yer aunty had *******s and ahh that.

Mwell certainly had their fair share of breaks the ting to Dundees yang almost.

Interesting you haven't been through a crisis yet, it will be interesting to see but hopefully it is never tested.

Good luck for the rest of the season, manager seems decent, team certainly a top 6 side although a faint whiff of vulnerability about them at the back which dosent really bear out in the stats so could just be imagination.

Cheers.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)